Found this awesome live video of TWAT

TWAT is the only CD song I like. I didn't love this version but I didn't hate it either, especially since we don't get to hear it often. Axl tried, I'll give him that. He sounds out of breath and out of tune early on, but pulls it together at the end, so I don't think it ruined the song all that much. To me, the best part of that performance is DJ's solo, which says a lot.

In fairness to Axl, I think TWAT is a difficult song to start singing in the right key. There really isn't much backing music to help him, at least initially. It likely takes the guitars and everything else coming to locate the key. This is probably compounded with it being a live performance, where sometimes it's difficult (if not impossible) to hear other instruments over the audience and drums if you're not near their amp.

Axl says on one of vids "of all the ones we do this is by far the hardest fucker" I'm not sure if he was referring to Stephanie Seymour or the song though.

When I saw them do it live I realized the register that the opening verses are done in are throat scraping, plus there's an army of synths and guitars he has to scream/shout over. It's a rocker with Estranged solos on it.

I can see why they don't do it every show.

Edited by wasted

In fairness to Axl, I think TWAT is a difficult song to start singing in the right key. There really isn't much backing music to help him, at least initially. It likely takes the guitars and everything else coming to locate the key. This is probably compounded with it being a live performance, where sometimes it's difficult (if not impossible) to hear other instruments over the audience and drums if you're not near their amp.

Is it also a difficult song to start singing with the right words? :lol:

• Like 3

I prefer the nu words.

I prefer the nu words.

Yes, it's poetic licence.

I thought the version of the night before was better. But that could've been because it was the first time they did it in the residency and because we were watching the stream live. The excitement... :wub:

This.

My favorite performance on the 2014 run, the band is killing it, with those screams at the end.

Edited by Silent Jay

I don't know why but a lot of folk seem to be denying that Axl really did get back to the power of 2010 at the end of this residency, yes he's not reaching his full potential in terms of utilizing the band and his creativity but he clearly has not lost his vocal ceiling just yet.

• Like 2

I don't know why but a lot of folk seem to be denying that Axl really did get back to the power of 2010 at the end of this residency, yes he's not reaching his full potential in terms of utilizing the band and his creativity but he clearly has not lost his vocal ceiling just yet.

He was definitely improving! I liked that he knew what he needed to do. Most of the time it wasn't there. But examples like YCBM and Rocket Queen were two songs he never could find the rasp on in the run, but he would start the first verse off perfect!

http://youtu.be/qx-pdPpqNtY

Sweet child he actually started off great! This run gave me a lot of hope bc his voice started coming through.

I think he missed on YCBM, RQ, 2nd part of estranged

Other than that I can find a solid video from the run. He got PC going on the last show, nighttrain was great, he sounded good on Better, and I think he nailed Yesterday's, and prostitute.

Idk what to expect when he returns, but he was getting it going in Vegas. I listen to 2010 and that's so many levels above 2014, but I'll give it to you that his voice was getting much better than what we had been hearing the last 4 years.

Edit:

Just watched YCBM from last show. It's amazing how well he does the first verse and how great he is at 4:27. He sounded incredible at times but just didn't quite have it to do the full song.

http://youtu.be/uynUQa08_P0

Edited by IncitingChaos