Have You Ever Been in Love?

magisme

Funny you'd ask. I was discussing this with someone not long ago and I've been thinking a lot about it since. I've been very depressed the last few years because I miss my ex. I was in love with her, but never head over heels in love. I don't think I'm capable of feeling those really strong kind of feelings for someone.

Honestly I hate love. It's a very destructive feeling, at the very least for me. Irrational feelings that make you weak and vulnerable. There's a great quote about it somewhere,I don't remember who said it or exactly what was said, but it's something about that you use years to build up this wall of defence around you and then love tear down that defence instantly.

My life would be a lot better if I was able to repress love the same way I can repress sadness if I want to. Just make my mind numb for it. But I can't and it sucks, because it just leaves me depressed and bitter instead.

My post probably seems contradicting at a few points, I can see that, but it makes sense in my head.

Funny you'd ask. I was discussing this with someone not long ago and I've been thinking a lot about it since. I've been very depressed the last few years because I miss my ex. I was in love with her, but never head over heels in love. I don't think I'm capable of feeling those really strong kind of feelings for someone.

Honestly I hate love. It's a very destructive feeling, at the very least for me. Irrational feelings that make you weak and vulnerable. There's a great quote about it somewhere,I don't remember who said it or exactly what was said, but it's something about that you use years to build up this wall of defence around you and then love tear down that defence instantly.

My life would be a lot better if I was able to repress love the same way I can repress sadness if I want to. Just make my mind numb for it. But I can't and it sucks, because it just leaves me depressed and bitter instead.

My post probably seems contradicting at a few points, I can see that, but it makes sense in my head.

The strange thing is that falling in love again will probably be the only way to get over all that. And it will happen when you least expect it.

• Like 1

The strange thing is that falling in love again will probably be the only way to get over all that. And it will happen when you least expect it.

*puts his arm around Kicker, tears well up in his eyes* that was beautiful man! *buries his face in his shoulder and bawls out tears* :lol:

• Like 1

*puts his arm around Kicker, tears well up in his eyes* that was beautiful man! *buries his face in his shoulder and bawls out tears* :lol:

I...I...I have to go do stuff now, like chopping logs and other manly man things :lol:

Chopping logs? See if you'd multi-flush you wouldn't have these issues but typical fuckin' Irish, gotta do it your own way, well look at you now! Look at you now heh, puta! (sorry, lapsed into a sort of Cuban American accent there for a moment!) :D

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1

Been in love only once.

Before that I thought I had been in love but it turned out it was just infatuation.

Real love, I believe, is joyful and unconditional. You love the person regardless of whether she is still in your life or not and you don't expect that person to do anything or to change, no matter what she does.

Been with that girl for only two years, known her for seven years now even though I haven't seen her in quite a while.

Two and a half years later, her leaving was the best thing that happened to me, not because I'm glad she isn't there anymore ( I still love her and probably always will ) but because it made me grow like nothing else.

Tried to forget or hate her but I never could. Eventually, after a while I gave up trying and understood that she would always be a ( good ) part of me.

As for her, I know that she still thinks about me in one way or another, as she has been slowly tip-toeing her way back into my life for the last two months. Not hoping for anything in particular. As I said, at this point, my opinion of her isn't influenced by what she does or doesn't do anymore :)

Tell me some nice stories. Or share some sad ones. I'm trying to figure out what this thing is, whether I've ever felt it, whether I feel it all the time.

Please don't turn this into a shitfest. Just discuss what to my mind is the most opaque word in the English language.

I love you all.

I have nice stories, but not ones for others to read if I die, referring to the other thread haha

If you get the buzz with someone, roll with it

I was talking to a friend of mine a few months ago, he'd gone out with a few girls in school, all of them had been very attractive. I was explaining the complete feeling of loss and failure I was suffering after leaving Mexico and the girl I'd fallen for there.I talked about being able to feel someone in your chest, like a pressure point that could either make you feel incredible or turn into a burning lead weight, purely based on their actions. He said he'd never experienced anything like that in his life.

That is the chip shop batter, putting undue stress on your aorta.

• Like 3

Yes, and am currently in love. The best way I can describe it as "putting someone else's feelings before your own." I know it sounds so simple but it is true. We are conditioned from early ages to express our own needs. "I want this.." " I don't want that.." etc. Well love, true love is the exact opposite of that. It's caring for someone else so much that their needs are second nature to you. You don't even think about it. It can be as simple as starting the car when its cold outside, so they have a warm car when they leave. Pouring them a cup of coffee in the moring, so its cooled down enough to drink. But yes its also the big things that everyone talks about; marriage, kids, and all that. But at its core, I believe true love is being as unselfish as possible when it comes to your significant other. Because if you really love that person, being unselfish won't feel like a chore, not something where you need anything in return. Putting their needs above your own....

Edited by Mike420
  • Like 1

Yes, and am currently in love. The best way I can describe it as "putting someone else's feelings before your own." I know it sounds so simple but it is true. We are conditioned from early ages to express our own needs. "I want this.." " I don't want that.." etc. Well love, true love is the exact opposite of that. It's caring for someone else so much that their needs are second nature to you. You don't even think about it. It can be as simple as starting the car when its cold outside, so they have a warm car when they leave. Pouring them a cup of coffee in the moring, so its cooled down enough to drink. But yes its also the big things that everyone talks about; marriage, kids, and all that. But at its core, I believe true love is being as unselfish as possible when it comes to your significant other. Because if you really love that person, being unselfish won't feel like a chore, not something where you need anything in return. Putting their needs above your own....

Lovely.