Sick leave.

Redhead74

I've just about had a gutfull of people who ring in 'sick' when the day before they were perfectly FINE and the day after they're TOTALLY FUCKING FINE!!!!!

Unless you had a 24 hour virus that struck at 7pm and rendered you a vomiting mess also with diarrhoea and ended at 7pm (or so) the next day, I don't think you were really sick. Just sayin'

:max:

The reason I have a problem with this is because I work in a company that has only a limited number of skilled people and when one person unreasonably calls in sick then the rest of us have to pick up their slack. I know the people in my company who do it and I have ZERO respect for them. Actually, I think they're fucking losers.

Basically, I think the country I live in needs an overhaul as to what the definition of 'sick' is. A headache doesn't count. Hayfever doesn't count. Just feeling a bit tired and 'off' doesn't count. There are medications you can take for those things that medical professionals spent years developing. :awesomeface: Yes, YEARS! Or just a good nights sleep, and that is not the responsibility of your fellow employees. A full time employee here gets 8 days a year to be 'sick'. That is a fucking lot of days every 12 months of either having the FLU (not a cold), throwing your guts up or perhaps in the worst extreme, being in hospital for some good reason. It's doesn't count as annual leave!

I think in particular Gen Y are very lame when it comes to their definition of 'sick'. When it doesn't affect me I just :lol: at their level or lameness. They think it is an entitlement, but ultimately the degree of poverty they are living in will define their definition of 'sick'.

What is your view on being 'sick' on a work day? Do you pull fake sickies? And does it affect you when others call in sick?

I've had one sick day in the last two years (i.e. when I've been properly working) - other than that, I've always shown up. I generally commute at least an hour and a half one way to work - and I'd been vomiting throughout the night, not sleeping and couldn't get a packed commuter train in that state - it simply would've been too messy.

It does annoy me that some people use that "allowance" - but it's not something I'd ever do or abuse. It should be used when you're genuinely sick, but appreciate that not everyone is as scrupulous.

• Like 1

I think in particular Gen Y are very lame when it comes to their definition of 'sick'. When it doesn't affect me I just :lol: at their level or lameness. They think it is an entitlement, but ultimately the degree of poverty they are living in will define their definition of 'sick'.

Nice try.

152lr13.png

• Like 3

Alike to Sandy, I've used one sick day over the last few years. That particular day, we were all going to go out riding bikes, and my back was in a terrible state, not suitable for riding a bike.

Growing up, we went to school 30 miles from home, and both our parents worked full time, so we just weren't allowed to fall ill, ever. There would be no way for us to get home, and with both parents being teachers, they couldn't leave work to collect us from school, or take us to the hospital. So now I have this mindset where as long as I'm not actually dying, I turn up!

Sorry you're having a horrible time at work Redhead. :(

Teachers here don't.

I'm selfemployed now, so sadly, I've no more sick leaves. I'm seldom sick, but when I had a fever four days in a row, I could only hope my client showed some leniency in postponing my deadlines. Sick leave is a luxury.

But my experience as an employee was that in small businesses, people were seldom sick. We always showed up for work, because otherwise we'd get the coworkers in trouble. When I worked in a huge company, many people called in sick for one day. I felt there was less of a team spirit. My experience was that people in a huge company are more selfish, they think of temselves and not so much of their coworkers, much less the boss or customers.

That being said, my idea about sick leave has changed somewhat. If you have a cold and sneeze and snot and cough all over the place, please stay at home. I do not want your germs.

Len, we're generation X, Lith is Y :lol:

My experience was that older people (generation W? Don't know.) take as much sick leave as younger people. But a friend of mine who's a supervisor in charge of like 100 people, say younger people call in sick much more often, so I don't know. :shrugs: She's even fired people who were so stupid to post pics of an awesome party the night before they called in sick.

• Like 1

Haha, on that note - I'm currently working Monday, Thursday and Friday at my place. I was sick on a Monday - one of the only three possible days I can miss, and although I wasn't accused of it, it was mentioned that this would be monitored to see if it was a routine - and that I was overdoing it on the weekend :lol:

Um it's called wanting to have day off and its too late to put in an annual/your boss is a testicle that's too tight to award you one when you request it.

FYI Lenny you're Gen Y.

Lenny is generation Y ? Why is he saying he's an old fart then ? :max:

Yes, apparently it is people born between 1961 and 1980 that are called generation X aka the Lost Generation. Although that seems to refer mainly to people who graduated in the beginning of the 80s, I was only starting my school career then.

Um it's called wanting to have day off and its too late to put in an annual/your boss is a testicle that's too tight to award you one when you request it.

FYI Lenny you're Gen Y.

Lenny is generation Y ? Why is he saying he's an old fart then ? :max:

Where Lenny comes from most people have blown themselves up before they reach 25 so Lenny's a proper old timer.
  • Like 1

I've just about had a gutfull of people who ring in 'sick' when the day before they were perfectly FINE and the day after they're TOTALLY FUCKING FINE!!!!!

Could have been a migraine, those things can come and go in a matter of hours but you're totally incapacitated while it's happening. Or food poisoning Not saying they all likely have migraines and/or food poisoning, but maybe don't be so quick to judge.

I try and not be off unless I'm really feeling horrible, or have something that's likely to spread to other people. No point coming in mid-flu doped up enough to function, then the whole place ending up getting it.

• Like 2

Yeah, um no. I work security and I don't get sick days. I've been at my current job for over two years and I've missed four days. Three were approved months in advance (and I did not receive any pay) and one was an emergency.

We're currently shorthanded at work four of us are having to work 13 hour days or six days a week. You talk about not having enough skilled people for someone to call in sick? Try getting someone to cover a security position when it requires a background check, follicle test, fingerprinting, first aid/CPR training, and a security license.