Sick leave.

Redhead74

The only time I can remember staying home from work during the past two years was five days in 2013 when I had pneumonia . That means I'm a lazy Gen Y kid who's had everything handed to me.

I had that a few years ago also - but thankfully, I was teaching at the time and it was about to be the summer holidays. It's rough though operating on one lung.

The only time I can remember staying home from work during the past two years was five days in 2013 when I had pneumonia . That means I'm a lazy Gen Y kid who's had everything handed to me.

I had that a few years ago also - but thankfully, I was teaching at the time and it was about to be the summer holidays. It's rough though operating on one lung.

Pneumonia definitely takes a toll on the body. But I think we both should have manned up and went to work anyway. Compared to Gaza, it was a walk in the park.

• Like 2

Y'know i never got all this Gen X, Gen Y stuff, whats it all about? Gen X was like Nirvana era folks right? Don't laugh if I'm wrong cuz I'm literally clueless :lol: What's Gen Y?

It's just terms that are invented so that narrow-minded people can get away with their generalizing.

Your description is pretty great and can be used to describe attitudes in a lot of other situations.

It's pretty prevalent in almost every music topic as well. There is a lot of generalizations of music genres and music fans.

We don't get sick days or vacation days where I work, we just get "leave" which we are allowed to use as we please. The owners of the company feel like we are adults and trust our judgment about when we want to take days off. IE - if you have an important project due they expect that you aren't going to take that day off. If people abuse the system they get in trouble or fired.

Being sick isn't just tied to having a physical illness. Sometimes people just need a day off to recharge their batteries - a mental health day. Sometimes friends come in from out of town. You want to go to the beach. Whatever.

I get 3 paid "leave" days a month to use a month however I see fit. Sick, vacation, or just want a three-day weekend. You can also cash out 80 hours at the end of the year which a lot of people do as sort of a Christmas bonus.

I've never worked in a place as slack as some of you describe.

We get unlimited sick days (within reason), but only 3 occurrences. If you're ill and miss Friday but return Monday - 1 day, 1 occurrence. Therefore you can have 3 days off sick and get a disciplinary.

I like it this way tbh, as you force yourself in on a Tuesday knowing that if you feel better the next day you wouldn't be able to handle the guilt of taking the whole week off.

This past year I have had 3 days off. One when I was on crutches after coming off my bike, another when the hospital told me to stay in bed as I was having heart/lung problems and another where I was just generally under the weather. I've used my three chances, so better keep my nose clean until March when the rolling year is over.

I work harder than everyone else. Everyone but me is lazy. it's either because they're younger than me and they suck or because they're older than me and they suck, or they have a different profession than me and they suck. No matter, point is that they are different from me and I'm awesome and they suck.

• Like 3

I work harder than everyone else. Everyone but me is lazy. it's either because they're younger than me and they suck or because they're older than me and they suck, or they have a different profession than me and they suck. No matter, point is that they are different from me and I'm awesome and they suck.

You work hard because teachers suck!

#ThomasMeadowLogic

I see it differently. Society forces you to work like a dog in order to enjoy a decent standard of living, so if I need a day off for whatever reason then I will take it.

I am not screwing over my colleagues because there is a relief team of staff just waiting to pick up shifts when permanant staff are off, so I have no reason to feel guilty.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

#ThomasMeadowLogic

Truth be told, I work hard for half the year. The rest of the time I'm on vacation, so y'all can suck it. :lol:

So...Red is pissed because people use sick days that they are entitled to, and when they feel better, they return too promptly?

Be thankful you even get sick days. FMLA law in the US just says they can't fire you for taking time off for medical, but they don't have to pay you. Plenty of jkbs here don't give you paid sick leave or any vacation. I strained my back a month ago or so, it hurt to walk the next day so I called in, the next day it was better so I went back to work. Sometimes people feel like they're about to get sick (usually the most contagious time) and a day in bed drinking fluids and resting cures it.

If you don't like people using sick days they are entitled to, work in the US somewhere without sick leave, people will show up, sick or not. Enjoy working with them.

• Like 3

Isn't that the crux of about 50% of people's posts on here!

I couldn't work for a company that micro-managed my time.

My company respects and treats its workers like adults. As long as you are doing your job at a high standard, who cares if you take an occasional day off? In fact, my company requires us to use a certain amount of leave every year because they don't want us to get burnt out. If you haven't missed a day for six months your boss will come tell you to schedule some time off. All paid, of course.

Your description is pretty great and can be used to describe attitudes in a lot of other situations.

It's pretty prevalent in almost every music topic as well. There is a lot of generalizations of music genres and music fans.

Except for the fact that I'm aware that most hair metal fans don't have mullets (anymore). There's a difference between playful jabbing at fans of a fairly small music genre and lumping an entire generation into a box like that.

Actually its a perfectly acceptable way to group those who were born during a specific time period, beginning with the Baby Boomers. Not everyone uses them to stereotype. :)

Hence why I said it's a way to get away with generalizing.

Edited by Lithium
  • Like 1

Except for the fact that I'm aware that most hair metal fans don't have mullets (anymore). There's a difference between playful jabbing at fans of a fairly small music genre and lumping an entire generation into a box like that.

Actually its a perfectly acceptable way to group those who were born during a specific time period, beginning with the Baby Boomers. Not everyone uses them to stereotype. :)

Hence why I said it's a way to get away with generalizing.

We are bigger and stronger than you think, bro!!!!!! We - and our music - will take over the world again some day. Soon Ratt and Dokken will be..........OK, never mind. Maybe you are right.

I get your point.

Next time I have a severe abdominal pain and can't go to work I'll just think "maybe there's some dumb hag who will think I'm bullshitting if I come back tomorrow" and take a few more days off while I'm at it.

Funny you should post that. I'm actually going in for some ego or echo something or another in a couple days because of severe shooting abdominal pain. They knock you out and stick a camera on a tube down your throat and look through your stomach. I'm taking the entire day off work!

• Like 1

Our system is completely different than most here, by the look of it. Three days a month ? I don't get that at all. We just stay at home when we're sick (except if we're selfemployed or a teacher), we get a note from the doctor, hand it in at work and still get paid. That could be no days or three or five months. Taking a day off is completely different than taking sick leave.

#ThomasMeadowLogic

Truth be told, I work hard for half the year. The rest of the time I'm on vacation, so y'all can suck it. :lol:

Typical Gen Y <_<

• Like 1

I work in a Nursery part time and yesterday 5 out of 10 people called out sick the day they were supposed to work. People just don't give a shit which is awful. They can't fire anyone either because they are so short staffed. A lot of times their excuse is they had prior obligations and can't get out of it. I don't understand why they don't just pick days that are most convenient before hand.

I put my lecture notes online for the students, cancel the lecture, send an email around and stay in bed. Unless I've a department meeting none of my colleagues would even notice/care.

The head of the department might only notice when I don't turn up for a pint in the pub at lunch time. :lol:

I've just about had a gutfull of people who ring in 'sick' when the day before they were perfectly FINE and the day after they're TOTALLY FUCKING FINE!!!!!

Unless you had a 24 hour virus that struck at 7pm and rendered you a vomiting mess also with diarrhoea and ended at 7pm (or so) the next day, I don't think you were really sick. Just sayin'

:max:

The reason I have a problem with this is because I work in a company that has only a limited number of skilled people and when one person unreasonably calls in sick then the rest of us have to pick up their slack. I know the people in my company who do it and I have ZERO respect for them. Actually, I think they're fucking losers.

Basically, I think the country I live in needs an overhaul as to what the definition of 'sick' is. A headache doesn't count. Hayfever doesn't count. Just feeling a bit tired and 'off' doesn't count. There are medications you can take for those things that medical professionals spent years developing. :awesomeface: Yes, YEARS! Or just a good nights sleep, and that is not the responsibility of your fellow employees. A full time employee here gets 8 days a year to be 'sick'. That is a fucking lot of days every 12 months of either having the FLU (not a cold), throwing your guts up or perhaps in the worst extreme, being in hospital for some good reason. It's doesn't count as annual leave!

I think in particular Gen Y are very lame when it comes to their definition of 'sick'. When it doesn't affect me I just :lol: at their level or lameness. They think it is an entitlement, but ultimately the degree of poverty they are living in will define their definition of 'sick'.

What is your view on being 'sick' on a work day? Do you pull fake sickies? And does it affect you when others call in sick?

I agree with you, to an extent.

If someone has a virus though, that person coming in and wiping out the team is not a great idea.

I've been ill for 2 weeks now.

Worked my job, still carried on as normal till it got worse about 5 days ago, so I cut things down... I still went to work, but I didn't go gym or running, I gave that a rest.

I had a fever, felt both cold and like I was boiling, was not fun or comfortable in bed, I was on 1000mg paracetamol (2 x 500mg capsules) every 4 hours.

I felt like people who let me down helped how I was feeling. It got me out of bed and made me just do; I was motivated and that perked me up enough to do stuff.

I couldn't take it anymore and saw a doctor on the 23rd of September. Gave me antibiotics, said I had a chest infection, said my lung (the one on the left) was inflamed.

I started the antibiotics the doctor prescribed a.s.a.p which was when I got in.

On the 24th of September I woke up worse, my lung was heavy, even more pain, slightly more reduced level of breathing, but alarmingly of all, that pain that had grown also lapsed into a blinding pain and I didn't know what was up, I just knew that that hurt, a lot. (I didn't know if I had an allergic reaction to those antibiotics or what). So I try to see my doctor again, only yesterday (the 24th of September); They were closed, doctor's training day. - So the receptionist gave me another number, a non emergency NHS number to ring (111) so I rang it and got booked into the big out of hours GP at the main hospital in town (which wasn't too bad for me since it actually touches on my neighbourhood). ((That being said I still wasn't going to walk it, so I got a lift)). - The doctor there told me the medicine takes 24 hours to kick in. I told the doctor I went to the gym with this and worked on my chest because I wanted to make it stronger because I have a weak chest and they said 'that just spreads the infection around my body and I shouldn't do that, get rest.' That doctor also asked me if I worked, I said yes, then they told me, there and then, to call in sick, for my own good, saying that I need rest.

I asked if I was contagious, the doctor said, only if I phlegm on somebody and the phlegm hits them, but the doctor insisted I rest.

Even got a doctor's note from the surgery.

I have been out and about with a fever for 2 weeks now. Last Sunday the 21st was the worst.

I called in sick before work, was fine.

I got a call later from my colleague saying to not come in because they told him not to. - They switched Wednesday for Monday, or something.

So that has been my sick day.

I went out this afternoon, crossed the road, saw the little green man go from green to red and... I did not run.

Under doctor's orders. :P

I made it, I just walked hating that I had to walk across the road. I made it before the traffic lights went green.

Loss of appetite has seen me false feed myself these past 5 days. Cooking little, eating fast food and........... Today I had Chinese.

Food is gross when you're sick. I'm not a fan of kebabs anyway but the other night I had 1 because at 2am it was the only thing open and I wasn't up for cooking or making anything. - I wasn't even hungry, I just knew I had to eat it.

Even food I like is gross so that kebab was 'yuck'.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Our system is completely different than most here, by the look of it. Three days a month ? I don't get that at all. We just stay at home when we're sick (except if we're selfemployed or a teacher), we get a note from the doctor, hand it in at work and still get paid. That could be no days or three or five months. Taking a day off is completely different than taking sick leave.

We don't need a note from a doctor either.

It's all about trust and respect.

My boss trusts that I'm staying home for a reason, and that I'm caught up on my work.

I don't think I'd work for a place that didn't have that level of respect between staff.