Sick leave.

Redhead74

If you don't like people using sick days they are entitled to, work in the US somewhere without sick leave, people will show up, sick or not. Enjoy working with them.

That's a major, major pet peeve of mine. I tell my coworkers, if you're sick stay the hell home. Don't come into work infecting everyone else.

I'm one of those people who comes in no matter what is ailing me. I've taken 1 sick day at my current job in the last 5 years.

I have 5 weeks PTO (paid time off) that can be used as personal/sick/vacation days. My mindset is that I'm not using my time off to lay in bed if I can get up and drive myself to work. At my previous job we were given a certain amount of actual sick days that we could carry over every year if unused. I was more apt to call in sick at my prior job because of that, and even then I rarely took the time off. I've gone to work with bronchitis, fevers, nausea, etc. I'm not looking to infect anyone and I'll warn people to stay away.

It's not just all about not wanting to take the days off, it's also about having a strong work ethic. I have a job that needs to get done, and yes, there are people who can cover my desk and assist with a few things while I'm out, but no one does my job the way I do. That's how I feel anyway. I'd rather give it my best 50% on my worst days than not give anything at all if I can help it.

My employer's time off policy is similar, 35 paid days that includes vacation/sick days/mandatory holidays. I completely understand why you'd prefer to use your paid days off for something fun or for an obligation rather than to just lie in bed all day sick, but don't you understand how selfish that is to put coworkers at risk just because you don't want to use up your paid time off days?

Unless you are the only person stationed in your room at work, and nobody has to go in the room you're stationed, and you have a private copier/printer/bathroom, and you don't go in any other room in the building, and you don't touch any door handle that other employees have to touch, and you don't touch any keyboards that anyone else has to touch, you WILL be spreading viruses to coworkers. It is the worst feeling to be forced to work in a room with a sick coworker, trapped in an area where you're forced to breathe air that has been filled with germs from constant sneezing and coughing while being forced to touch things that have been touched by the hands of an ill worker.

And how productive do you think you really are when you're sick? It no doubt takes twice as long to do your work while sick, with a much higher probability of errors. And you do realize that you're not gaining anything by dragging yourself into work, because your illness is likely to last much longer by doing so. If you were to stay home and get the rest, meds and treatment required to get better, you're likely to recover much faster. So what's better: 3-5 consecutive days at 50%, or one day of missed work and then you're back to nearly 100%?

We usually agree on many things, but I can't disagree with you more on this subject.

Do you sterilise all the money you handle? Do you wash your hands immediately after touching ANYTHING in a public place? Do you hold your breath or not inhale when you are on public transport, or waiting in a queue at a shop/bank.......because in all seriousness that is what you would have to do to properly avoid contracting a cold infection. Your work colleagues comprise only a relatively small number of people that you come into contact with on a daily basis. And really, it's a cold, not mad cow disease or SARS.

I lived in Singapore during the outbreak of SARS and I didn't change one thing I did. Despite the hysteria that was breaking out around the world there was really very little to be alarmed about. I flew on aeroplanes frequently at the time and the airport had installed some heavy duty temperature sensors that every passenger had to pass through. If a passenger registered a temperature they were monitored for cause of that temperature before being allowed into the general community. Basically, there was no drama, no mass death toll. No one was hibernating at home. They just went about their business and heeded good hygiene which is common sense.

SARS...oh you mean that cough that had a 95% survival rate?

No I don't sterilize the money I handle. In fact I could lick whatever cash is in my wallet and likely nothing would happen. Don't care about brushing by skmeone in the street either. I'm not talking to them, nor am I in an enclosed area for an 8 hour work day with them. There is a difference between bacterial infections and viruses. If you go to work sick and contagious, it's a dick move. If you berate other people into coming to work sick, you're actively spreading disease. Congratulations, you are an eco terrorist.

No one has any right to tell me how to use a sick day, whether I'm contagious with a virus, have a migraine, a regular headache, if my back hurts, if I'm hung over. Point is, I don't feel good that day, and would used an ALLOWED sick day. But keep telling people to quit bitching and start spreading disease Dr. Red.

• Like 1

I've chucked my fair share of sickies, I won't lie- but it depended on the size of the company.

If I was just a shitkicker for a big company, I never felt bad- I usually worked considerably harder than most everybody else anyway.

I was doing a man's work by 17, hard labour like being on the end of a shovel all day- if I called my boss up and told him I wasn't going to work today because I had a headache or a sore back he would have come around to my place and flogged me with a stick :rofl-lol:

Work like a navvy, get legless up the pub, spew your guts out, repeat.

Not to sound like one of the four Yorkshiremen more than I already do, but being soft bellied and having a shit work ethic is a lot more common amongst "the youth of today"

:shrugs:

• Like 1

I've chucked my fair share of sickies, I won't lie- but it depended on the size of the company.

If I was just a shitkicker for a big company, I never felt bad- I usually worked considerably harder than most everybody else anyway.

I was doing a man's work by 17, hard labour like being on the end of a shovel all day- if I called my boss up and told him I wasn't going to work today because I had a headache or a sore back he would have come around to my place and flogged me with a stick :rofl-lol:

Not to sound like one of the four Yorkshiremen more than I already do, but being soft bellied and having a shit work ethic is a lot more common amongst "the youth of today"

Depends

Its pigeon holing I know, but working class types who really will most likely go for manual labour type jobs find it easier to claim on the social. Its financially better for them, simply because the pay is shit, and there has been an influx of cheaper eastern european labour who will work harder and save and live a more frugal lifestyle.

Also, I have noticed a sort of entitlement attitude as well.

Oh and blame the fucking foreigners

Depends

Its pigeon holing I know, but working class types who really will most likely go for manual labour type jobs find it easier to claim on the social. Its financially better for them, simply because the pay is shit, and there has been an influx of cheaper eastern european labour who will work harder and save and live a more frugal lifestyle.

Yeah! Driving all the white estate agents into a life of abject poverty you cunts! :lol:
  • Like 1

Depends

Yeah! Driving all the white estate agents into a life of abject poverty you cunts! :lol:

They are the biggest cunts of them all.

I had a meeting and all of them got together. what a shower of bastards

Depends

They are the biggest cunts of them all.

I had a meeting and all of them got together. what a shower of bastards

'Lets talk turkey here!' :lol: I wanted to boot that fuckin' pussy all up and down the street!

I beat a cold last weekend. I felt a sore throat coming on, immediately took some echinacea drops, followed by tea with lemon and honey and gargled antiseptic mouthwash. Went to bed. Sore throat was still there the next day so I took the echinacea 3 times (morning, noon and evening) and drank a fair amount of water and by lunchtime the sore throat had gone and the usual symptoms of a runny nose, etc never eventuated. I've felt fine ever since. :awesomeface:

Yeah, the key is to get on the echinacea as soon as the first hint of a symptom appears. Leave it half a day and it's too late. I was lucky, I felt the sore throat coming in the evening, whereas sometimes if you wake up with it it's already too late to stop it.

Edited by Redhead74

Where I work, if you go sick, that's 1 sick day regardless how long your off. If you go sick monday, back Tuesday and off again Wednesday thats 2. And we get 3 per 12 months. Tho I've just been signed off by the local hospital for an infection that require rest and no strain

• Like 1