Music website I've been working on

Amir

Sorry I've haven't posted in a while! Been busy working on a music website, looking for feedback/criticism now :)

www.resnate.com

Only a desktop site for now, will build dedicated mobile/tablet apps in the next year.

If you don't want to log in with your Facebook account that's fine (I'll implement e-mail login in the future), here are some screenshots that you can critique:

http://imgur.com/a/xa19K

Site uses APIs to to bring up YouTube video results, Amazon clothing results, and Songkick concert results when you type a search term in (Music + Gigs + Merch). You can drag and drop to make playlists, and if you share a song with someone and they like it, you get a point. If someone follows you or a playlist you made, you get 5 points. Incentivised sharing, or "sharing music with benefits".

Still a work-in-progress, got to add commenting, expand on the past/upcoming gigs to allow uploading of photos/sharing of videos, let users write reviews, compile lists, etc. Basically want it to be a social network for hardcore music fans (like some people I know...), just been frustrated with the lack of something like it out there.

You can see progress in design on the Facebook page: www.facebook.com/resnatemusic

• Like 1

good job. how long did it take you to finish?

and is it on a shared host?

Embarrassingly long time :P It's on Heroku for now (since that's free). Do you recommend any alternatives? I found one while Googling called Shelly Cloud that looks quite cool (and seems cheaper and faster)

'What i reckons right, is that Axl Rose is sort of like Mike Tyson cuz....'

:lol:

I'll make sure to display that review front and centre ;)

Sorry, I'm dense about these things. It's a downloadable app where you post music videos and reviews and others can see it and follow you? Is that right? How much will you charge for the app?

it best be free?

Yeah it's free. The desktop version is a web page, not a downloadable app. Idea is that it encourages you to share music with friends, and at the same time lets you know when artists are on tour/what merch they have.

good job. how long did it take you to finish?

and is it on a shared host?

Embarrassingly long time :P It's on Heroku for now (since that's free). Do you recommend any alternatives? I found one while Googling called Shelly Cloud that looks quite cool (and seems cheaper and faster)

I too am often stuck with such hosts and i have a hardtime dealing with the fact the the entire code is open to them. The only thing stoping them from stealing it is is the Terms and Conditions and my understanding is that there is usually a way around it if someone is bent on stealing your application. I read the German hosts tend to be more open with their policies but they probably cost more as well.

Anyway... good luck with the website :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Nah, I'm serious man, allow these fuckin' infidels, us brothers need to stick together. *puts his arm around Amir* they hate us y'know...you especially, y'know, cuz you're from the middle east and that. They talk about you when you're not here y'know. I weren't havin' it though, i stuck up for ya.

sub me a fiver innit! :D

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Amir, I'm really impressed. Sorry I'm not Asian like Lenny so I can't say that you have to remember me when you're rich or anything. But I am interested in the site and am enjoying seeing your progress with it.

From a web designer's perspective; the bright purple word on the top right (I think it says UberHipster, but I'm unsure). Their colour is really out of place compared to the rest of the site, and it clashes uncomfortably. How about making it white and putting the text in bold or all caps?

Also, is there any designated ad space on the site? MPUs, banners etc? Or are you avoiding external client ads for an income?

Of course, you know your business better than I do and you can take all this with aping of salt!

• Like 2

Amir, I'm really impressed. Sorry I'm not Asian like Lenny so I can't say that you have to remember me when you're rich or anything. But I am interested in the site and am enjoying seeing your progress with it.

From a web designer's perspective; the bright purple word on the top right (I think it says UberHipster, but I'm unsure). Their colour is really out of place compared to the rest of the site, and it clashes uncomfortably. How about making it white and putting the text in bold or all caps?

Also, is there any designated ad space on the site? MPUs, banners etc? Or are you avoiding external client ads for an income?

Of course, you know your business better than I do and you can take all this with aping of salt!

Thanks for the feedback Gracii, I agree re: the bright purple, will change that. Having it in all-caps is a great idea :)

For now there's no ad space since the idea is that in future revenue would be generate through clickthroughs to Amazon and Songkick, though the site could always be redesigned to fit adverts in. I can't have advertisers now, though, as I would have to negotiate deals with the companies whose technologies I'm using (YouTube, Amazon, Songkick). Once enough interest has been generated, though, I'll contact them :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...