Our enemies, Islamic State, attack Syrian Kurds, refugees flood Turkish border

WFA

Shelling intensified Sunday on Kobani, the Syrian town at the center of a region of Kurdish farming villages that has been under a weeklong assault by Islamic State militants, setting fire to buildings and driving a stream of new refugees toward the fence here at the border with Turkey.

The extremist Sunni militants have been closing in on the town from the east and west after moving into villages with tanks and artillery, outgunning Kurdish fighters struggling to defend the area. The Kurds fear a massacre, especially after recent Islamic State attacks on Kurdish civilians in Iraq. More than 150,000 people have fled into Turkey over the past week.

Turkish Kurds watched Kurdish forces battle with Islamic State militants across the border in Syria on Saturday. Turkey fears the fight against the Islamic State may embolden Kurdish separatists.

There were no sounds of jets overhead to indicate to the Kurds that help was coming from the American-led coalition, whose stated mission is to degrade and destroy the Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL. Two airstrikes on the eastern front hit Islamic State armored vehicles on Saturday, but did not appear to halt the advance.

The leader of the Nusra Front, a group linked to Al Qaeda, vowed Sunday to retaliate against the United States for its airstrikes in Syria. It was a shift for a group that had kept its focus on ousting Bashar al-Assad, the Syrian president, and fighting his ally Hezbollah.

“People of America, Muslims will not stand watching their children bombed and killed and you staying safe in your homes,” the leader, Abu Mohammed al-Jolani, said in a videotaped speech.

In Kobani, also called Ayn al-Arab, at least eight projectiles, possibly artillery shells, struck during the afternoon and evening, appearing to have come from the east. One hit the main mosque, whose minaret can be seen just across the border from Turkey. As twilight fell, a shell streaked red through the sky and landed in the town.

Dozens of cars were parked near the fence, as they have been over the past week as people have gathered against the chain-link border barrier, trying to get as close to safety as possible. The main border crossing appeared to be closed, and workers were constructing an earthen berm around it.

Even as it has accepted tens of thousands of refugees, Turkey has closed seven of nine crossing points in the area. Several times, the authorities have used tear gas to disperse crowds trying to cross, while also preventing Turkish and Syrian Kurds from crossing the border to fight the Islamic State. Kurds accuse Turkey, which has remained vague on how it will assist the American-led coalition, of tacitly supporting the Islamic State to weaken Kurdish efforts to gain more autonomy in northern Syria.

At least two people have been killed and 16 wounded while crossing minefields along the border to escape the fighting, including five who lost limbs, according to Syrian Arab Red Crescent relief workers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/29/world/middleeast/refugees-flood-turkish-border-as-isis-steps-up-attacks-on-syrian-kurds.html?_r=0

Turkey should so something, because there have been videos of high ranking members talking about how they plan on taking Istanbul.

If they mess with Turkey, that would be the end of them. I doubt they're that stupid.

Turkey is weak dude. The only strong powers in the region are Israel and Iran. Oh and maybe the Houthi Rebels if they re-arm.

You lot really get shook up by this shit eh? :lol:

Thinking of joining the Islamic State?

If i did I'd probably be able to smell the shit in your pants from over here :lol:

There's this distinct undercurrent of fear and panic i notice in people, people in the western world, over this kinda shit, it's really quite funny, if I may say so. I'm not talking about you here Georgy, was joking bout the shitty pants, or particularly anyone on the forum, just a broader observation regarding media but like...I noticed the ones who shout the loudest about 'bomb them' etc etc are the biggest fuckin' pussies.

I mean there's countries over in the east that have been bombed and bombed and bombed and bombed and bombed and these people just...get on with their lives. The way we fuckin' shit our pants, it's hilairious, mauve alert, amber alert, off white/eggshell alert, it's fuckin' ridiculous...and this shit is happening miles and miles and miles away.

Looks to me like the fear of a peoples that know they done something wrong...or rather have had something wrong done in their name.

It amazes me that nations so bold in their aggression are so fearful of attack, even when there is hardly the presence of one.

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1

I think people are afraid of being attacked. Like their daily routines are going to get all messed up.

These guys are going to win. They are fighting on multiple fronts and they are winning all of them. It looks like bringing Democracy to Iraq was all for nothing. We just made it easier for these fanatics to take over. No hopes of Arab girls walking around in bikinis.

Of course people are scared. In the newspaper today: Do you fear a terrorist attack in your area ? A few weeks ago, the news leaked that several terrorist attacks had been thwarted. Today, the biggest terrorism trial ever in our country started, we see footage of lots of armed police officers (which is unusual here) and the bearded men who've been appearing on the news for years saying they hate us. I think people are scared, but not so much that they'd actually change their ways or their daily routine.

Really, i thought it was at an all time high, although i wouldn't really know, just shit you read in the papers. I actually remember reading somewhere the other day that the boxer Amir Khan might not get his shot at Mayweather purely because they think it'd be difficult to market a muslim to the American public. Quite ridiculous in a boxing context if you consider the fine gentleman in my avatar. I guess it's the whole Pakistani thing.

Are Americans not interested? With the idea of ironing those boys out? Whats the feeling on the street over there, generally speaking?

I would like to see Khan beat Merryweather.

Americans are fine with bombing them from a distance. They just don't want boots on the ground. But if they succeed in an attack they would probably be more open to it. Right now, Iraq is seen as a failure. They were the ones who wanted to go to Iraq and the fools saw what a mistake it was. They read about World War II and thought Saddam was the next Hitler. So they thought they were doing good.

Now, if they attack Saudi Arabia, then it would be a problem because we get maybe 37% of our oil from them. The Saudis are basically pussies who can't fight on their own. They are more concerned of getting rich as well as get fat on baklava and heading over to neighboring U.A.E. for some Dubai pussy. You get your ass IS wants a piece of them. Their ultimate goal are the holy cities.

Now this would be the time for me to say Israel has a right to defend themselves because they will come for them too.

If i did I'd probably be able to smell the shit in your pants from over here :lol:

There's this distinct undercurrent of fear and panic i notice in people, people in the western world, over this kinda shit, it's really quite funny, if I may say so. I'm not talking about you here Georgy, was joking bout the shitty pants, or particularly anyone on the forum, just a broader observation regarding media but like...I noticed the ones who shout the loudest about 'bomb them' etc etc are the biggest fuckin' pussies.

I mean there's countries over in the east that have been bombed and bombed and bombed and bombed and bombed and these people just...get on with their lives. The way we fuckin' shit our pants, it's hilairious, mauve alert, amber alert, off white/eggshell alert, it's fuckin' ridiculous...and this shit is happening miles and miles and miles away.

Looks to me like the fear of a peoples that know they done something wrong...or rather have had something wrong done in their name.

It amazes me that nations so bold in their aggression are so fearful of attack, even when there is hardly the presence of one.

I'd like to think people are actually more aware, concerned and show a degree of compassion..especially nowadays. Much different than getting shook up. As for the people shouting bomb em, that's a different story..

Of course people are going to be scared - we live in a part of the world where mass scale warfare is not a regular occurrence. I watched a doc on 9/11 on the anniversary, I'm sure people still have a bit of fear. A recent terrorist plan was uncovered by Iraqi intelligence officials to bomb Paris and New York subways. Of course there is "fear"

I'd like to think people are actually more aware, concerned and show a degree of compassion..especially nowadays. Much different than getting shook up. As for the people shouting bomb em, that's a different story..

Of course people are going to be scared - we live in a part of the world where mass scale warfare is not a regular occurrence. I watched a doc on 9/11 on the anniversary, I'm sure people still have a bit of fear. A recent terrorist plan was uncovered by Iraqi intelligence officials to bomb Paris and New York subways. Of course there is "fear"

From the perspective of an aggressor it seems a little odd is what I was trying to say.

And who are the aggressors? The big bad American government? Just about everyone involved have been the aggressors. Not necessarily one "side" before the other. One could argue the US and it's allies have been the aggressors to an evil terrorist organisation...for the greater good.

I do wonder where ISIS will hide when the raids come. Most likely in a densely populated civilian area, making any air strike a mass homicide of innocent people..

And who are the aggressors?

The ones who fly and float miles across the ocean to bomb people into the stone age for oil.

One could argue the US and it's allies have been the aggressors to an evil terrorist organisation...for the greater good.

One could also say that the US and it's Allies have been flying across the world engaging in imperialism and profiteering on the back of strife and unrest around the world, you could also say they're war mongers, you could also say they kill a lot of people, a helluva lot of people to keep your fridges cool back home, you could say a lot of things.

I do wonder where ISIS will hide when the raids come. Most likely in a densely populated civilian area, making any air strike a mass homicide of innocent people..

And y'know what, they'll bomb the shit out of it anyway, what does that say about them? I mean lets get this right here, hiding men don't kill, the bombs being dropped on the hiding men kill. I mean the sheer nerve of that perspective, like they're up there in helicopters, sobbing into their palms as they carpet bomb the fuck out of miles of land, yeah, course.
They don't give a flying fuck and y'know why? Cuz they're poor people, cuz there's no money in em. They're 'collateral damage'. But when a plane flies into a skyscrapers and kills thousands thats not collateral damage, when a bomb goes off in a bus in London that ain't collateral damage. What collateral damage really means is people that aren't worthy of your mercy. Iraqi babies have a price you see.