RATT - Criminally Underrated?

The Sandman

I rewatched this last night:

Recorded a few years before it aired (I think about 1999, but airing in 2006?) - it's interesting in looking at how excess basically destroyed a hugely popular group (like so many others) - and interesting to note (as I'd forgotten) that Guns is cited as one of the reasons why groups like Ratt went into decline. And, with myriad lineup changes, arguments and fallouts - it's meant a Guns-esque situation of replacements and mini-reunions over the years.

As a band, they've put out some quality albums:

Out of the Cellar (1984)

Invasion of Your Privacy (1985)

Dancing Undercover (1986)

Reach for the Sky (1988)

Detonator (1990)

Ratt (1999)

Infestation (2010)

The latter, particularly - is great from start to finish - and although in vein, actually does sound vaguely current. Best of Me, Eat Me Up Alive and A Little Too Much are a great way to kick off any album.

Most people know them for 'Round and Round' - but worth digging a bit deeper. Anyone have fond memories of this group, or seen them live?

• Like 1

I rewatched this last night:

Recorded a few years before it aired (I think about 1999, but airing in 2006?) - it's interesting in looking at how excess basically destroyed a hugely popular group (like so many others) - and interesting to note (as I'd forgotten) that Guns is cited as one of the reasons why groups like Ratt went into decline. And, with myriad lineup changes, arguments and fallouts - it's meant a Guns-esque situation of replacements and mini-reunions over the years.

As a band, they've put out some quality albums:

Out of the Cellar (1984)

Invasion of Your Privacy (1985)

Dancing Undercover (1986)

Reach for the Sky (1988)

Detonator (1990)

Ratt (1999)

Infestation (2010)

The latter, particularly - is great from start to finish - and although in vein, actually does sound vaguely current. Best of Me, Eat Me Up Alive and A Little Too Much are a great way to kick off any album.

Most people know them for 'Round and Round' - but worth digging a bit deeper. Anyone have fond memories of this group, or seen them live?

Saw them live in 1984. Weren't great but definitely put on an entertaining show. They were one of the Big 3, so to speak, of the early 80's Hollywood scene with Motley Crue and WASP. All of their albums have a few good songs but the only album that is quality from start to finish is Infestation

I know em from The Golden Child...quite liked the song actually although they are not really in my usual sphere of taste.

Yeah, I mean this is hair/glam or whatever you want to term it to the max - but do have a sort of authentic sound, it's always them, so to speak.

Saw them live in 1984. Weren't great but definitely put on an entertaining show. They were one of the Big 3, so to speak, of the early 80's Hollywood scene with Motley Crue and WASP. All of their albums have a few good songs but the only album that is quality from start to finish is Infestation

Nice! I've never been disappointed by one of their albums, although naturally there are some songs that are definite gems haha. Glad someone else likes Infestation - surprised me how good it was.

I always thought Ratt and Dokken were good bands from that time, they had "pop" hooks which put them in the glam genre but glam bands to me were the ones who prioritized Aqua Net and spandex over the music. I wouldn't say criminally underrated because they had hits, but worth checking the back catalog out.

Always really liked his voice and they did have some super catchy hooks.

But, a total product of that brief point in time. I am 37, so I grew up on that genre. I would not take issue with anyone that did not grow up on it, give it a listen and say its not for them.

To this day, Skid Row and Twisted Sister are 2 of my favorite bands due to when I grew up. But I would not hold them up as examples of genius.

• Like 1

Always really liked his voice and they did have some super catchy hooks.

But, a total product of that brief point in time. I am 37, so I grew up on that genre. I would not take issue with anyone that did not grow up on it, give it a listen and say its not for them.

To this day, Skid Row and Twisted Sister are 2 of my favorite bands due to when I grew up. But I would not hold them up as examples of genius.

Great post.

Isn't it odd how some people get angry over the music that somebody else likes?

P.S.

Skid Row were awesome, Twisted Sister sucked.

My friend's dad installed a satellite dish in the 80's so we were watching MTV in the early days.

We laughed our asses off at a lot of it, be we gave Ratt their props as sort of a poor man's Aerosmith (judging by the documentary, which was quite good, they lived that cliche as well).

They videos did grab your attention, def more interesting than a lot of the other MTV slosh of that era.

They've always been my favorite of that style of music (glam metal). Legitimately well crafted pop songs played on a super strat through a Marshall stack. Great dual solos and Stephen's voice is awesome. He has this way of pronouncing his R's at the end of his words that normally makes my skin crawl, but i don't hate him doing it for some reason.

Edited by GnRDuff1