RATT - Criminally Underrated?

The Sandman

I have their best of. I enjoyed their hits back when I was all-in on hair metal, but I never really checked out their back catalog.

I think you of all people would really like it!

Detonator is a great album - doesn't get that many good reviews, but One Step Away is a killer song.

Love listening to them casually - enjoyable rock.

• Like 1

I have their best of. I enjoyed their hits back when I was all-in on hair metal, but I never really checked out their back catalog.

Detonator is a great album - doesn't get that many good reviews, but One Step Away is a killer song.

I remember loving Detonator when it came out and thinking it was their best album. I listened to all of their albums a few months ago when I read Pearcy's book and I don't think Detonator has stood the test of time.

I remember loving Detonator when it came out and thinking it was their best album. I listened to all of their albums a few months ago when I read Pearcy's book and I don't think Detonator has stood the test of time.

Yeah, I can see that - a lot of their music does sound dated, although I've not listened to any of the remastered stuff to see if the quality there improves anything.

I rewatched this last night:

Recorded a few years before it aired (I think about 1999, but airing in 2006?) - it's interesting in looking at how excess basically destroyed a hugely popular group (like so many others) - and interesting to note (as I'd forgotten) that Guns is cited as one of the reasons why groups like Ratt went into decline. And, with myriad lineup changes, arguments and fallouts - it's meant a Guns-esque situation of replacements and mini-reunions over the years.

As a band, they've put out some quality albums:

Out of the Cellar (1984)

Invasion of Your Privacy (1985)

Dancing Undercover (1986)

Reach for the Sky (1988)

Detonator (1990)

Ratt (1999)

Infestation (2010)

The latter, particularly - is great from start to finish - and although in vein, actually does sound vaguely current. Best of Me, Eat Me Up Alive and A Little Too Much are a great way to kick off any album.

Most people know them for 'Round and Round' - but worth digging a bit deeper. Anyone have fond memories of this group, or seen them live?

I first saw them with Poison in Denver at Mcnichols arena , they put on a great show. I agree that it was bands like Guns that shut them down in the same way that Guns was being shut down by Grunge. For what they did and how they did it..they were right there at the top of the heap. Like many of the hair metal bands.. the excesses just chewed them to pieces. The image for many bands like Ratt was something that people just couldnt get beyond.

The second time I saw them was in a dive club in Clinton Iowa caled The PigPen in....and it was a testiment to what drugs and alcohol can do to a band...

• 2 weeks later...

I have Ratt N Roll greatest hits, I think its 84~94??? But I like most of the songs on there, which is something imo. Especially since I maybe heard 2 songs before buying it, but ended up liking most of it. Great 80's band for sure.

Yeah, it's very listenable. Not over produced at all.

It's funny how the first line up fell apart and he brought in some southern rock guys and that fell apart, then finally got Crosby. But then recently aren't Ratt been putting records without either of them?

Edited by wasted

I have Ratt N Roll greatest hits, I think its 84~94??? But I like most of the songs on there, which is something imo. Especially since I maybe heard 2 songs before buying it, but ended up liking most of it. Great 80's band for sure.

Yeah, it's very listenable. Not over produced at all.

It's funny how the first line up fell apart and he brought in some southern rock guys and that fell apart, then finally got Crosby. But then recently aren't Ratt been putting records without either of them?

Crosby died of AIDS years ago

But then recently didn't Ratt put out an album without Pearcy? I don't really know anything about band other than the book. So far he's letting the booker at the whisky blow him so they can play. Not a bad deal really. I thought it was heroin overdose?

Edited by wasted

But then recently didn't Ratt put out an album without Pearcy? I don't really know anything about band other than the book. So far he's letting the booker at the whisky blow him so they can play. Not a bad deal really.

that I don't know.

if the booker was a guy, the deal still isn't half bad