Wu Tang to release new album A Better Tommorow on a speaker

Len Cnut

Lovin' it so far :) It's different and the live band thing does kinda take some getting used to, more your ears adjusting than anything cuz musically its quite good. Could've done with a little less of those fuckin' RnB choruses although most of em work pretty fuckin' well. I really think it's a solid offering. Loving Rae at the end of Ruckus in B Minor.

One things for sure, you can tell this ain't an album made by a bunch of mates in a room together. And GZA, genius though he is (seriously no pun intended, i mean that, possibly the best out and out lyricist of the whole Clan...and they know it too) on one verse you could really tell the shit was kinda emailed in.

The difference i find is that, speaking specifically about the live band vs true hip hop shit is the beats just hit a little less harder. It's like like that Jazz dynamic where if the horn players gonna wail over the shit the drummer and bass player need to be tight as fuck...and thats why this dynamic kinda makes it all a bit off kilter feeling cuz live shit is always gonna be kinda loose. So you end up with a situation where instead of like this:

or

that, in terms of that sharpness, that hardness, that hit of the snare...you end up with like, Mistaken Identity or even Ron Neal, songs that are right, they're perfect, they work...they just don't hit like that...and when it don't hit you don't bob your head and when you don't bob your head then you fucked with something fundamental with the formula.

Hear that? Thats a hip hop beat :)

Another lousy group effort, Wu-Tang Clan hasn't made a good album together since Wu-Tang Forever. 8 Diagrams had a couple of bangers, but this... ugh. RZA still too caught up in his Beatles phase, I can't blame Chef for not wanting to be a part of this shit, I wonder what his cut was that he ended up doing it.

Lovin' it so far :) It's different and the live band thing does kinda take some getting used to, more your ears adjusting than anything cuz musically its quite good. Could've done with a little less of those fuckin' RnB choruses although most of em work pretty fuckin' well. I really think it's a solid offering. Loving Rae at the end of Ruckus in B Minor.

One things for sure, you can tell this ain't an album made by a bunch of mates in a room together. And GZA, genius though he is (seriously no pun intended, i mean that, possibly the best out and out lyricist of the whole Clan...and they know it too) on one verse you could really tell the shit was kinda emailed in.

The difference i find is that, speaking specifically about the live band vs true hip hop shit is the beats just hit a little less harder. It's like like that Jazz dynamic where if the horn players gonna wail over the shit the drummer and bass player need to be tight as fuck...and thats why this dynamic kinda makes it all a bit off kilter feeling cuz live shit is always gonna be kinda loose. So you end up with a situation where instead of like this:

or

that, in terms of that sharpness, that hardness, that hit of the snare...you end up with like, Mistaken Identity or even Ron Neal, songs that are right, they're perfect, they work...they just don't hit like that...and when it don't hit you don't bob your head and when you don't bob your head then you fucked with something fundamental with the formula.

Hear that? Thats a hip hop beat :)

I'm with you on the live band hip hop thing. Those are good examples. Ever heard, Too $hort - Get in Where You Fit In? Only one song wasn't recorded with a live band, they pull it off pretty damn good. Very funky album. Matter of fact, Get in where you fit in probably gets my vote for his best album. But he also had a hell of a producer in Ant Banks.

As for the Wu, I have only heard a couple of songs from the new album but I liked what I heard. If anybody goes into it hoping for another Enter the 36 Chambers or Forever or Liquid Swords, or any of the old shit, I think they are setting themselves up for a letdown. No knock on the Wu, but it's hard to get that type of magic back after so many years. That's with damn near any artist.

Oh I agree about RZA, I actually liked 8 Diagrams. I think some rapping from certain members has fallen off a bit, which is what I meant about losing some magic. But for whatever reason, people demand the old Wu sound. It aint happening.