What is quite possibly the greatest book ever getting released

WFA

BookOfHairmetal_zpsnins3cwx.jpg

It looks amazing :wub:

MARTIN POPOFF The Big Book Of Hair Metal

At 224 full-colour glossy pages, this is quite possibly the most expansive book ever on the era of music defined as much by its image as its sound.

Lipstick, eyeliner, leather, denim, spandex and who could forget the hairspray? BraveWords senior writer (and proficient author) Martin Popoff is back with another high quality publication that contains nearly as many pictures as it does words.

Running chronologically, as hes done in past books, Popoff surprisingly starts in 1950 with Little Richard and Elvis Presley not exactly what Id consider hair metal! The 60s get a couple of pages too, examining Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin again, those bands belong in another book.

Cant really argue the inclusion of the 70s with KISS, Aerosmith, and Van Halen; but when the 80s the true dawn of hair metal arrive, each year justifiably gets its own chapter.

In addition to the listing of significant dates in the margins, is a plethora of dialogue, all stemming from the authors very own interviews with the artists in question. Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx reveals the song Shout At The Devil had nothing to do with Satan,It was about (former US President) Ronald Reagan.

Dokken guitarist George Lynch calls drummer Mick Browns lyrics for the Tooth And Nail album, pure Vegas lounge, so funny.

Guns N Roses bassist Duff McKagan on recording Appetite For Destruction, our main concern was having some booze.

And this, the most enjoyable encyclopedia youll ever pick up, rolls on with the likes of Cinderella, Poison, and a plethora of other bands.

Unfortunately the book ends in 1991, the year Popoff refers to as the apocryphal last hurrah for hair metal, as that was the year grunge emerged with Nirvana releasing Nevermind.

Despite Popoffs admission that a lot of the best hair metal came out in 1992, those titles are not included, partially due to space constraints. Heres hoping for a second hair metal book covering the ensuing two-plus decades.

Although lineups may have changed, L.A. Guns, Tesla, Great White, Ratt, and many more have continued to churn out albums and embark on tours.

• Like 1

I just cringed so hard

I know. I mean, just LOOK at that cover. I don't know how anyone can defend such cheesy music and/or image. Hair metal was as contrived and fake as it gets.

and yet that decade was so much more fun than being entertained by depressed pizza delivery boys wearing flannel shirts...

but yes.. I remember having Motley Crue circa 1984 plastered all over my locker. Thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen. Even dyed my hair blond... good god what the hell was I thinking?? Still.... it got me laid alot.

I just cringed so hard

I know. I mean, just LOOK at that cover. I don't know how anyone can defend such cheesy music and/or image. Hair metal was as contrived and fake as it gets.

and yet that decade was so much more fun than being entertained by depressed pizza delivery boys wearing flannel shirts.

Cyndi Lauper and Boy George were "fun". Fun<authenticity imo.

Edited by combos

I just cringed so hard

and yet that decade was so much more fun than being entertained by depressed pizza delivery boys wearing flannel shirts.

I bet you throw awesome parties.

I just cringed so hard

I bet you throw awesome parties.

At my age, throwing parties would be pretty pathetic lol

In other news Johnny Rotten is releasing the continuation of his autobiography which i been waiting for since 1997, whoopee! :). Oct 9th, Anger Is An Energy :)

I wonder why he's doing a full memoir instead of picking up where he left off. Are you going to any of the appearances?

In other news Johnny Rotten is releasing the continuation of his autobiography which i been waiting for since 1997, whoopee! :). Oct 9th, Anger Is An Energy :)

I wonder why he's doing a full memoir instead of picking up where he left off. Are you going to any of the appearances?

Nah, i don't do that whole 'sign my book' thing, just gonna pick it up down the local. Gonna go to the London gig though. And yeah, I'd've much preferred a detailed PiL one since we've had Pistols era, stories of Wobble knocking people out :lol: He released a book too.