Pantera

Snake-Pit

I really liked them when I was around 15 or so, one of the few bands I liked at one point and don't anymore/grew out of- I'd had my fill by the time Great Southern Trendkill came out.

I don't own any of their albums anymore, but they were on of the few bands that did a very good job of covering Sabbath and come to think of it Far Beyond Driven is a fucking good album.

A real shame how Dimebag got murdered.

Pretty much this. They were a band that i listened to all the time as a teen but rarely listen to anymore.

Best metal band IMO, don't like anything pre-cowboys though.

That's a shame because Power Metal is probably the best thing they ever did.
I've heard a lot of people love it but I don't have it yet. I only know the title track and Proud to be Loud from Donnie Darko.

This is the best thing before anyone knew fuckin Phil Anselmo was:

It's still Pantera, but closer to Painkiller era Priest, as in, heavy as all fuck, but Phil had an incredibly high range at the time so he used to the fullest. Put it this way, Cowboys From Hell was the finished article, but Power Metal was when all the pieces fell in place to put it all together.

Edited by moreblack

Anselmo's voice really did deteriorate didn't it lol, by Trendkill he was like a fucking baritone stone golem but it worked. His DOWN work is really good, many of the songs are emotive compared to the later Pantera albums, I mean emotive in a spectrum not the bleak aggression (which was superb but all kinda down one rotten vein).

It's still Pantera, but closer to Painkiller era Priest, as in, heavy as all fuck, but Phil had an incredibly high range at the time so he used to the fullest. Put it this way, Cowboys From Hell was the finished article, but Power Metal was when all the pieces fell in place to put it all together.

That's what I don't like about it, can't get into Priest

Anselmo's voice really did deteriorate didn't it lol, by Trendkill he was like a fucking baritone stone golem but it worked. His DOWN work is really good, many of the songs are emotive compared to the later Pantera albums, I mean emotive in a spectrum not the bleak aggression (which was superb but all kinda down one rotten vein).

Down has been my favorite band the last couple of years, however my interest has faded with their last EPs. Don't like them as much as their former records. Losing Kirk sucked as well.

Thought Phil's solo record was pretty crappy as well.

Down has been my favorite band the last couple of years, however my interest has faded with their last EPs. Don't like them as much as their former records. Losing Kirk sucked as well.

Really? I thought Down's EPs so far have been pretty good. Not as good as their older stuff, but still pretty good. I like the doomier side of them.

Edited by Zeppelin

It's a lot heavier and definitely doomier than the earlier records, I need to listen to both Purples a few more times. Steeple is crushing, Witchtripper is pretty damn fast, a real ride, We Knew Him Well has the riffs, Conjure is one of my faves maybe the one 'closest' to the old work, it's different so that's a positive thing, the old records will be there forever.

The first EP has The Misfortune Teller, which is one of my favourite Down songs. It has a bit of a NOLA vibe too.

Open Coffins and The Curse is a Lie were awesome. Witchtripper was killer live.

I wish I could see some new songs live. I haven't seen Down since before Over The Under came out in 2007.

Really? I thought Down's EPs so far have been pretty good. Not as good as their older stuff, but still pretty good. I like the doomier side of them.

I listened to both of them today for the first time since the second EP was released. EP 1 was definetly better than the second. Don't think the songs on EP2 are as strong or up to standard, there's some gems though. Still looking forward to the coming EPs but I guess we won't get them for at least a couple of years.

Seeing them in 2011 for the first time is one of my best memories and probably my favorite concert I've been to. Haven't seen them since but will for sure whenever I get the opportunity.

Since this thread has spread out to other bands than Pantera I'd figure we can talk about Superjoint Ritual as well. Any fans?

If Pantera ever did get back together, who would be a good step-in for Dime?

People give him shit for his pinch harmonics, but I think having Zakk Wylde would be a nice tribute-esque nod to Dime since they were just good friends.

Without Dimebag I really don't see a need for them to get back together. But if they did, Zakk would get my vote.

People give him shit for his pinch harmonics, but I think having Zakk Wylde would be a nice tribute-esque nod to Dime since they were just good friends.

Dimebag for pantera is like Iommi for sabbath, you just can't replace him.

Dimebag for pantera is like Iommi for sabbath, you just can't replace him.

And on that note; I'm gonna say Zakk Wylde.

Am not sure, but I think this was done for Dimebag.

• 3 weeks later...