White woman has black baby, now someone is getting sued...

downzy

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2014/10/ohio_sperm_bank_black_donor_mix_up_can_a_white_mother_with_a_biracial_baby.html

Interesting incident where a white woman used a sperm bank and was given the wrong "product." Thought she was getting a white man's seed and was mistakenly given a black man's sample instead. Oops!

I get that she should get her money back as the company fucked up, but suing for "emotional distress, medical expenses (do black babies cost more to give birth to?), and other economic and non-economic losses" is ridiculous.

Moreover, what kind of message does this send to her two year old daughter? "You're a different shade than I expected sweetie and hence why Mommy doesn't love you as much." FFS!

I heard this on the radio a few days ago. The parents complained that they had to "take her to a black neighborhood to get a good haircut." :rofl-lol:

It's quite the fuck up though by the sperm bank but 2 years later it's too late to say "well, actually y'know I don't want my little black baby any more". The funny/fucked up part is that it's lesbian parents, who you'd think would have put up with a fair amount of prejudice in their lifetimes and then they turn around and do it to their own kid. "Well yes sweetie I love the half of you that's my DNA but the other half is wrong because it's black." :confused:

• Like 3

Are we not all meant to be, non-racist, now? It is still a baby. I do not see the big deal.

You're asking that, coming where you come from? :lol:

Too bad she didn't find out sooner so she could have aborted it. Too many unloved kids in the world stuck in the system.

Y'know it really doesn't reflect well on your high moral stance regarding this topic that you also deem it a worthy topic for cheap satire, come on man.

I can only too well imagine the disappointment they felt after the birth.

I'd agree with them on the suing, but maybe they should have done it right after the birth and not years later. I wonder what the kid will feel when she hears about these things later in life. Would be interesting to hear what she'd have to say in 15 years.

I'd agree with them on the suing, but maybe they should have done it right after the birth and not years later. I wonder what the kid will feel when she hears about these things later in life. Would be interesting to hear what she'd have to say in 15 years.

This is the point that gets me.

I understand the desire to sue, but what kind of message does that leave for the daughter. The things they'll claim in court are likely the very things you would never want your child to hear ("she's not how we pictured," "who she is has been a burden to us," etc.).

It seems like they care more about their own sense of loss or need for justice than the welfare of the child in this case.

This is the point that gets me.

I understand the desire to sue, but what kind of message does that leave for the daughter. The things they'll claim in court are likely the very things you would never want your child to hear ("she's not how we pictured," "who she is has been a burden to us," etc.).

It seems like they care more about their own sense of loss or need for justice than the welfare of the child in this case.

Yeah, I mean, I think anyone can understand they were shocked and disappointed when she turned out to be black instead of white like the one they had picked out and while I completely understand they want some kind of consequences for the sperm bank, maybe you shouldn't do it anyway just for the sake of your daughter, even if you feel that way, you know? Perhaps the sperm bank would agree to settle it in private and give you some economic compensation for the mistake that they could just put into their daughters college fund or whatever without telling her where they are from. I don't know, the whole thing just makes me feel a bit uneasy for the sake of the daughter when she's older and finds out about all of this. Edited by Satanisk_Slakt