White woman has black baby, now someone is getting sued...

downzy

I can only too well imagine the disappointment they felt after the birth.

I'd agree with them on the suing, but maybe they should have done it right after the birth and not years later. I wonder what the kid will feel when she hears about these things later in life. Would be interesting to hear what she'd have to say in 15 years.

This is the point that gets me.

I understand the desire to sue, but what kind of message does that leave for the daughter. The things they'll claim in court are likely the very things you would never want your child to hear ("she's not how we pictured," "who she is has been a burden to us," etc.).

It seems like they care more about their own sense of loss or need for justice than the welfare of the child in this case.

Yeah, I mean, I think anyone can understand they were shocked and disappointed when she turned out to be black instead of white like the one they had picked out

Momentarily suprised, certainly. Disappointed when she turned out to be black instead of white like the one they had picked out...we are talking about her child, not someone who had their fucking Ikea order mixed up, right? For the record I can't understand that, and don't care to know anyone who can. Jesus Christ.

Edited by Angelica

I agree that suing seems disrespectful to the child. Putting a monetary value on her unexpected skin color seems odd, although in the U.S., we routinely put one on people's lives when their families sue after car wrecks, so it's hardly unprecedented. Life is going to be harder for her as it is, being raised by two white parents. While her parents certainly know what discrimination and prejudice feel like, they probably weren't prepared (and probably can never be) to understand the instant judging by skin color that often goes on. I feel bad for the little girl--in a normal mixed race relationship, the child usually has access to one side of the family that understands what it is to be black.

I have a little sister who was born after my mom had a tubal ligation. Since my parents decided to keep her, they didn't sue the doctor, who had botched several other tubals and was successfully sued by at least one other patient for the same thing. My parents didn't want her thinking she was unwanted after they had her--because she wasn't, at that point. I wish these parents had the same good taste. If their child had been disabled, they probably would have had to drive her to medical facilities much farther away than her hair salon.

• Like 1

I think, what SS meant that they were disapointed cause they picked out a white baby. They thought about the donor and picked the one who could resemble them the best. As I understood you can choose a donor, who looks like yourself from this vid. So in their case it probably meant, white with blue eyes. I have even heard you can also pick out a donor by education, interests etc.

I do think it's ridiculous to have these options in the first place and a baby is a baby. When it's half yours, who cares what color the father has. I don't really know what to think off it. If you spend time and effort in picking out the right donor and you get a baby from another donor, it's not what you agreed on.

I wonder if this thing is actually about the skin color at all or that they are angry, they didn't get the donor they agreed on.

However still, what a nice thing for this child, to discover later in life, the mums were not satisfied with him. That must be devistating.

Edited by MB.

My mom was telling me about a women's talk show where they were all berating the mother and saying how she shouldn't be complaining because she has a beautiful baby, just trying to sound as not racist as possible...

It's upsetting that there are people in the world that if this happened to, they'd consider it an abomination, a tragedy, etc; but i dont think thats what this couple is thinking. In the real world, you mostly choose what color skin your baby has, so why the fuck shouldnt that be the case when you're going to a sperm bank? It's supposed to be more controlled there, people choose the profile that they want for their baby. I'm just saying that this isn't really a race issue and those berating the mother aren't putting themselves in her shoes.

I don't know if suing is the way to go but, when there's an opportunity for millions of dollars to be made, I think most of us would take it. The person who handled that at the bank REALLY, REALLY, REALLY fucked up.

• Like 1

Hmm, it's a difficult one, as in the UK, they no longer place black children with white adoptive parents and vice versa (from what I hear), so if our government thinks that it shouldn't happen, (and of course, could cause obvious challenges for both the child and parents) this woman expected a baby which would match her ethnicity for probably similar reasons.

The sperm bank shouldn't have made that mistake, but IMO she's lucky to get a little black baby. She has no idea how much I'd love a cute black baby. They're far prettier than pink babies.

I'm all broody now.

Comparing the comments in here about the "beautiful" and "cute" baby and how thankful the parents should be and how this is going to effect the baby's feelings later in life against the comments in topics where people support abortion is really fascinating.

Edited by Groghan

Comparing the comments in here about the "beautiful" and "cute" baby and how thankful the parents should be and how this is going to effect the baby's feelings later in life against the comments in topics where people support abortion is really fascinating.

Oh come on, it's not as if any of our opionins on this are going to effect in anyway the outcome of this story. Sorry if my obviously whimsical musings aren't appropriate for the tone of the thread. I'll just mull over how unloved that child might be by her monther and despair for the state of the world instead.

Oh come on, it's not as if any of our opionins on this are going to effect in anyway the outcome of this story. Sorry if my obviously whimsical musings aren't appropriate for the tone of the thread. I'll just mull over how unloved that child might be by her monther and despair for the state of the world instead.

I realize you were the "Female Member of 2013 at Mygnrforum.com" but relax. My comment was referencing the entire topic, not just what you said.

The comments in this topic are pretty much the exact opposite of what people say in the abortion threads when they say why abortion is an OK use as birth control.

A black baby is cute and beautiful and deserves a good life........unless born to a single mom, then it should be aborted.

A husband and wife produce a baby that has a disability - abort it because it might cause you hard ship and that baby doesn't deserve a chance. I guess it isn't cute and beautiful enough?

But the parents in this story are evil because they are mad that they didn't get what they paid for from the clinic. They should just shut up and be happy and support their baby.

So if these parents found out that the baby was disabled (instead of being a different color than them), would you guys on here be supporting them now? I'm so confused now as to when parents should be happy and support their baby and when they should be disappointed and abort it.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2014/10/ohio_sperm_bank_black_donor_mix_up_can_a_white_mother_with_a_biracial_baby.html

Interesting incident where a white woman used a sperm bank and was given the wrong "product." Thought she was getting a white man's seed and was mistakenly given a black man's sample instead. Oops!

I get that she should get her money back as the company fucked up, but suing for "emotional distress, medical expenses (do black babies cost more to give birth to?), and other economic and non-economic losses" is ridiculous.

Moreover, what kind of message does this send to her two year old daughter? "You're a different shade than I expected sweetie and hence why Mommy doesn't love you as much." FFS!

this is racist as fuck

I realize you were the "Female Member of 2013 at Mygnrforum.com" but relax. My comment was referencing the entire topic, not just what you said.

The comments in this topic are pretty much the exact opposite of what people say in the abortion threads when they say why abortion is an OK use as birth control.

A black baby is cute and beautiful and deserves a good life........unless born to a single mom, then it should be aborted.

A husband and wife produce a baby that has a disability - abort it because it might cause you hard ship and that baby doesn't deserve a chance. I guess it isn't cute and beautiful enough?

But the parents in this story are evil because they are mad that they didn't get what they paid for from the clinic. They should just shut up and be happy and support their baby.

So if these parents found out that the baby was disabled (instead of being a different color than them), would you guys on here be supporting them now? I'm so confused now as to when parents should be happy and support their baby and when they should be disappointed and abort it.

Who said that, please ?

the two thing isn't related by any means...

you're just wanna stir some shit do you? :lol:

• Like 2

Groghan, absolutely nobody is saying this (the bolded part of your post). You're being a tad hyperbolic.

The issue at hand is whether the parents have the right to pursue litigation for perceived damages as a result of having a child that's different racially than themselves. The parents wanted a baby, but the baby they received was not the one they, um, "ordered." I do not see how you're connecting the two situations. What difference does it make if the mother happens to single?

As for your last question, I doubt the parents would even file litigation. There are no guarantees when it comes to matters of conception and pregnancy. If it was discovered that the fetus had ailments or disabilities, no court in the land would award damages to the parents. There are certain matters that are beyond human control. But the race of the child was something within the medical operation's control, and they erred. So the question becomes, do the parents have a viable case? I don't see the point of bringing abortion into the discussion as it's not relevant.

I'm not sure what the debate is about. This comes down to business. If you go to Wal Mart and buy and pay for a 60 inch Samsung TV but when you get home, you open the box and it's a 60 inch Sony, you have every right to return the TV, etc.

In this case, it's even worse because the mother had to go through 9 months of pregnancy and birth only to find out she got the wrong TV.

So what's the problem here?

(BTW, on a personal level, I would have absolutely kept the child, since half the child was part of the woman anyway....but from a business perspective, they have a right to litigation.)

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

How can you compare a child to an electrical appliance?

I was speaking purely from a business and (law) perspective. Obviously, a child is not a tv and personally, I wouldn't of filed the lawsuit. But from a business and legal standpoint, they have every right to do so.

Edited by Kasanova King

I hope you warmed up before you reached that far, don't want to hurt yourself.

How can you compare a child to an electrical appliance?

It's a comparison of the *process*. In both instances, at it's core, a consumer is making a purchase.

We all have our own personal criteria when seeking a potential mate to build a family with. Their way, though not conventional, was really no different than how anyone else seeks out a partner.

As for the child, what she knows and feels now is nothing. She's 2. It will be years before she understands any of this. The fact that she has two white mothers will eventually need to be explained, with or without the existence of this lawsuit.