top 10 rock debut albums

WFA

I've always been on the EVH side in the Randy vs Eddie debate. But I still love Randy's playing though, def one my all time favorite guitar players.

My biggest knock against Randy is his Quiet Riot stuff. Those albums he did with them are just plain bad. Not that he was bad per say, but he was not the guy that played with ozzy, thats for sure. Ozzy clearly brought out the best in him, which I don't think Ozzy always gets the credit for doing. But having said that, those albums were released around the same time as Van Halen 1 and 2, so by comparision EVH was MILES a head of Randy at that point in their careers. Which I'm not knocking Randy overall, but I do think most RR fans like to gloss right over those albums. Which even VH3 pisses all over those Quiet Riot albums, so for me overall EVH>RR. Because Eddie at his worst, was much better than Randy at his worst.

Fair enough on the quiet riot albums, but Randy at his best was better than Eddie at his best imo, and keep in mind he hasn't had 40 years to perfect his craft like Eddie has. Who's to say how much better he would have gotten?

@Bicardi,

You maybe correct, his upside could have been higher than Eddie's, but we shall never know. But as I said before, his worst work (QR) is still worst than VH3. Besides it's hard to talk potential when so little of his work has been heard. Randy's dicography makes Axl's look like AC/DC. That's why I only judge based upon what has been created, and based upon that EVH is the clear winner imo. Also EVH does indeed play better on Van Halen 1 than Randy does on either Ozzy album. Which that isn't a knock against RR, it's just more of a praise on EVH. I've heard some people say "he didn't write a decent solo until Hagar joined the band" or "they are all just noodles and wanker noises." Which that argument does hold water, especially on Women and Children First and Fair Warning. But not on VH 1, he played his ass off on that fucker. Honestly I'd rank it as the #1 guitar (studio) performance of all time. Even Jimi, Page, and others don't sound as good as EVH does on that first album imo.

fuck this list is hard to compile....

AFD hands down

To Fast for Love.. not really a debut album and released after Shout at the Devil. I have a leathur records vinyl copy of this one.

Shout at the Devil

Van Halen

Def Leppards On Through the Night

Lynard Skynerds

Queens

Bob Dylan

Thin Lizzy

Kill em all

AFD hands down

To Fast for Love.. not really a debut album and released after Shout at the Devil. I have a leathur records vinyl copy of this one.

Shout at the Devil

Van Halen

Lynard Skynerds

Queens

Bob Dylan

Thin Lizzy

Kill em all

Too Fast For Love counts, sometimes if I'm having a problem deciding one or the other, I'll just make it a "tie", or drop one off, because lists change and can throw it back up there later.

If you ever take a look at a magazine or website "greatest of all time" list, they're always changing.

AFD hands down

Shout at the Devil

Van Halen

Lynard Skynerds

Queens

Bob Dylan

Thin Lizzy

Kill em all

Too Fast For Love was released in 1981, Shout At The Devil was released in 1983

AFD hands down

Shout at the Devil

Van Halen

Lynard Skynerds

Queens

Bob Dylan

Thin Lizzy

Kill em all

On Leathur records ..in this respect its like Live Like a Suicide... that morphed into Lies.... it was recorded for demo by the band. After Motley got signed to a major contract with national exposure... then Shout At the Devil is what is considered their debut album. If AFD is considered the greatest debut album by a hard rock act ... you would have to say No, ` Live like a Suicide is their debut. After Crue were on the a roll To Fast For Love was released to major audiences. I had a copy of the Leathur Records version: It was clear up to Dr. Feelgood and most people had never heard it.

AFD hands down

Shout at the Devil

Van Halen

Lynard Skynerds

Queens

Bob Dylan

Thin Lizzy

Kill em all

On Leathur records ..in this respect its like Live Like a Suicide... that morphed into Lies.... it was recorded for demo by the band. After Motley got signed to a major contract with national exposure... then Shout At the Devil is what is considered their debut album. If AFD is considered the greatest debut album by a hard rock act ... you would have to say No, ` Live like a Suicide is their debut. After Crue were on the a roll To Fast For Love was released to major audiences. I had a copy of the Leathur Records version: It was clear up to Dr. Feelgood and most people had never heard it.
You may want to check your facts before speaking about something you clearly know nothing about. Yes, Lethür was the first pressing of TFFL (there were actually 3 pressings done). Elektra signed them soon after and the album was remixed and rereleased in August of 1982, almost an entire *year* before Shout was, since Shout was released in September 1983. There is literally no scenario in which you could say Shout is their debut as that is factually incorrect.

AFD hands down

Shout at the Devil

Van Halen

Lynard Skynerds

Queens

Bob Dylan

Thin Lizzy

Kill em all

You may want to check your facts before speaking about something you clearly know nothing about. Yes, Lethür was the first pressing of TFFL (there were actually 3 pressings done). Elektra signed them soon after and the album was remixed and rereleased in August of 1982, almost an entire *year* before Shout was, since Shout was released in September 1983. There is literally no scenario in which you could say Shout is their debut as that is factually incorr

i know nothing about... ok... but I do.. and Wiki make you the hero of the day .

TIL:

A debut album by a band isn't a debut album unless its on a major label, and even when it is released on a major label a year prior to the second album, its still not their debut if nobody's ever heard it

A 4 song EP is equvilant to an album

Knowing a lot about Mötley Crüe makes you a wiki hero.

dio- holy diver

boston-boston

black sabbath-black sabbath

gnr- AFD

rainbow- ritchie blackmores rainbow

ramones- ramones

entombed- left hand path

opeth- orchid

lynyrd skynyrd- lynyrd skynyrd

metallica- kill em all

iron maiden- iron maiden

paradise lost- lost paradise