Bands that made an amazing album, followed by a HORRIBLE one...

gunsfanoldie

Buckcherry (the first 3 albums were amazing, everything else since that has been terrible.)

I agree with Buckcherry but their second album was awful. S/T was good, 2nd was bad, 15 was good... What was next? Black Butterfly I think it was called? I remember thinking that had more good songs than bad but haven't listened to it for a while.

In Flames have done it twice:

Amazing "Come Clarity"

Awful "A Sense of Purpose"

Amazing "Sounds of a Playground Fading"

Awful "Siren Charms"

You beat me to it. SOAPF was a great record, I said it when it came out and it's still true: it's their best album since Clayman. I bought Siren Charms without listening to it first and it's pretty bad. The only song I'm digging is "When the World Explodes".

I'll add these:

Aerosmith going from Nine Lives to Just Push Play.

Eminem going from The Eminem Show to Encore.

I REALLY liked "Timebomb" from Buckcherry. I haven't listened to it for a while, so I don't know how well it's aged for me.

I'm also a fan of Aerosmith's "Just Push Play." I just listened to that album the other day. It's held up surprisingly well, but to this day, I still can't stomach "Fly Away From Here" in any way, shape, or form.

I used to really like Just Push Play and I still like a couple songs but otherwise it didn't hold up at all, for me. They were good on that tour though from the bootlegs I've heard.

I never understood the panning that the album received. Sure, there's definitely a lot of pop elements in it, but the rockers like "Beyond Beautiful" balance it out.

That said, going back to "Nine Lives" for a second, that album is SEVERELY underrated.

I never understood the panning that the album received. Sure, there's definitely a lot of pop elements in it, but the rockers like "Beyond Beautiful" balance it out.

That said, going back to "Nine Lives" for a second, that album is SEVERELY underrated.

Most songs have some good parts but I dunno, it doesn't click for me. The good and bad don't balance out, whereas Nine Lives is almost entirely good.

• Like 1

Most songs have some good parts but I dunno, it doesn't click for me. The good and bad don't balance out, whereas Nine Lives is almost entirely good.

I've noticed that ever since the '80s comeback, that the band has saved some of the best songs from the sessions for either international bonus tracks, soundtracks, or b-sides.

PV: "Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu", "Once Is Enough"

Pump: "Deuces Are Wild", "Sedona Sunrise" (from the "Devil's Got a New Disguise" best of), "Love Me Two Times" (Doors cover)

GAG: "Don't Stop", "Head First", "Can't Stop Messin", "Lizard Love" (showed up YEARS later on a Rugrats movie soundtrack of all things), "Devil's Got a New Disguise" (from the compilation of the same name.)

NL: "Falling Off", "Fall Together", "What Kind Of Love Are You On?"

JPP: "Face", "Won't Let You Down", "Angel's Eye"

MFAD: "Shakey Ground", "I'm Not Talkin"

That's not to mention all of the unreleased songs from those sessions that have never surfaced to this day.

Was once is enough ever officially released?

Yep - it was the b-side on the 45 of "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)", or "Rag Doll", I can't remember. But it was ALSO available on the mega-rare Japan only "Vacation Club" EP. The EP is the only way to get the song on CD.

EDIT:

Edited by The Real McCoy

Megadeth's Endgame to Th1rt3en

Pink Floyd's The Wall to Final Cut

Primus' Tales from the Punchbowl to the Brown Album

Weezer's Pinkerton to the Green S/T

Daft Punk's Discovery to Human After All

David Bowie's Low to Lodger

Electric Six's Zodiac to Heartbeats & Brainwaves

KISS' Dynasty to Unmasked (debatable, but I still enjoyed Dynasty for tracks like 2,000 Man and Sure Know Something)

Led Zeppelin's Presence to In Through the Out Door

Slash's Snakepit to me did the exact opposite. I found Ain't Life Grand more enjoyable than It's Five O' Clock Somewhere. Five 'O Clock seemed a little rushed whereas Grand seemed more polished.

Absolutely agree. I've long said Ain't Life Grand is one of my favorite rock albums of the last 20 years. 5 O Clock seems to get all the praise, and while it has its moments, I don't think its nearly as consistent. I think just as you said, the album was rushed and they needed to fine tune it. Its what Axl would have done were he involved. Rein Slash in and away from some of the stuff on the album, like the pointless jam at the end of Dime Store Rock, that ended up being clunkers. The album is about 2 songs too long, and Ain't Life Grand got it perfect by cutting the tracklist a bit and trimming the album of all the fat and making all the songs very well structured.

NIRVANA

Amazing: Nevermind

Awful: In Utero (The songs are fine but the production is terrible, sorry Albini fans)

SMASHING PUMPKINS

Amazing: Siamese Dream, Pisces Iscariot, and Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness

Awful: Adore (sans the title track), Machina (sans Everlasting and Stand Inside), and anything else Corgan has done since

ALICE IN CHAINS

Amazing: Dirt (as well as Sap and Jar of Flies, if you think they count)

Awful: Alice in Chains aka Tripod (some good moments but no song in its entirety is any good, mainly because of shitty production)

GUNS N' ROSES

Amazing: Appetite for Destruction, GN'R Lies (if you take it for what it is), Use Your Illusion (sans a few songs here and there)

Awful: "The Spaghetti Incident?" and Chinese Democracy (though Chinese had potential if released earlier in a less overproduced format)

I am a somewhat odd creature in, being a bit of a Dynasty defender. It is probably my third favourite Kiss album, although, in hindsight, it was the, beginning of the end. For an album which supposedly represents Kiss's, so deemed 'wrong-footed' decision to enter into the disco-pop genre, it is surprisingly heavy. It has three full bodied Ace rockers on it - just how pop can it be?

NIRVANA

Awful: In Utero (The songs are fine but the production is terrible, sorry Albini fans)

SMASHING PUMPKINS

Amazing: Siamese Dream, Pisces Iscariot, and Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness

Awful: Adore (sans the title track), Machina (sans Everlasting and Stand Inside), and anything else Corgan has done since

ALICE IN CHAINS

Amazing: Dirt (as well as Sap and Jar of Flies, if you think they count)

Awful: Alice in Chains aka Tripod (some good moments but no song in its entirety is any good, mainly because of shitty production)

GUNS N' ROSES

Amazing: Appetite for Destruction, GN'R Lies (if you take it for what it is), Use Your Illusion (sans a few songs here and there)

Awful: "The Spaghetti Incident?" and Chinese Democracy (though Chinese had potential if released earlier in a less overproduced format)

Jar of Flies counts and it's equal with Dirt in many people's books.

NIRVANA

No.
x2. Someone seriously doesn't know their grunge.

Thirded

Nirvana was only getting better and better, and You Know You're Right was a great tease for what could have been the 4th Nirvana album.

• Like 1

Jar of Flies counts and it's equal with Dirt in many people's books.

It's probably my favorite release from them but I put it in the "if you think it counts" category considering that it's only an acoustic EP and not really one of their "proper" records

NIRVANA

No.
x2. Someone seriously doesn't know their grunge.

Thirded

Nirvana was only getting better and better, and You Know You're Right was a great tease for what could have been the 4th Nirvana album.

Scott Litt produced that song tho, right? If he produced an entire record for Nirvana I probably would've been into it. And I read an interview where Cobain said he wanted at least half of the would've-been 4th record to be acoustic in vein of their unplugged performance. I think that would've been a good direction for them to go in.

Edited by rocknroll41