Bands that made an amazing album, followed by a HORRIBLE one...

gunsfanoldie

I read it as the S/T record followed by those 2, my bad :lol:

For the record, I like Gonzo. It's nowhere near as good as the self titled record... It's actually kind of the exact opposite of the self titled record. But it's still a good album, Tragic Thrill and Story Told are the only songs that I don't care for.

Edited by RickRoses

SMASHING PUMPKINS

Amazing: Siamese Dream, Pisces Iscariot, and Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness

Awful: Adore (sans the title track), Machina (sans Everlasting and Stand Inside), and anything else Corgan has done since

Adore is their best album in my opinion.

Being a big Smashing Pumpkins fan, I'm curious to hear why you have this opinion

SMASHING PUMPKINS

Amazing: Siamese Dream, Pisces Iscariot, and Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness

Awful: Adore (sans the title track), Machina (sans Everlasting and Stand Inside), and anything else Corgan has done since

Adore is their best album in my opinion.

Being a big Smashing Pumpkins fan, I'm curious to hear why you have this opinion

As an album I think it's the most enjoyable from start to finish and has my favourite SP song Crestfallen on it. I like all the songs on it. Their other albums all have weak moments and there is a big difference between the really good songs and the rest of the album. On Adore it's all really good to me.

After being in Black Sabbath week, I can't think of a better example than Sabotage > Technical Ecstasy. Man, they went from 6 practically perfect straight albums to a shitty one just like that. Same members, just in crisis. Sabotage is one of my favorite Sabbath albums, if not my favorite one. It manages to be heavy as shit without being dark and satanic like the first ones plus with this touch of drugs and artistic development they had aquired from SBS, that, even if they were trying to strip down back to pure RnR, they couldn't, they had progressed too much to do that at that point. Hole In The Sky is just a massive punch in the face, Sympton of the Universe is the father of thrash and progressive metal, with one of the best outros of all time. Megalomania is genius all the way, what a riff, what tension that song has. Thrill of it All and Am I Going Insane are like brother songs with horns and backing bands and The Writ is pure genius. Love the surprise calm part. Then you have Technical Ecstasy whose only good moments are what? Ward's awesome It's Alright, that even though is pretty awesome, it doesn't really resemble Black Sabbath, and Dirty Women? That's much about it... It's a weak, uninspired album, really. And to think about they were in a pretty shitty situation during the recording of Sabotage already. So... What the hell?

• Like 1

I love what you said about Sabotage ( probably my fave album by my favourite band) but I do not understand the "hate" of Technical Ecstasy, or Never Say Die.

Granted, TE is not as out of this world amazing as Sabotage (and it is definitely the weakest album the original band did) but "blinkers off" I really couldn't call it a terrible, or even bad album.

Rock N Roll Doctor is balls, I'll say that much- but I love every other song on the album to bits- Backstreet Kids may seem a bit juvenile lyrically, that's the worst I can say about that track- the breakdown is classic.

You Won't Change Me has to be one of the most underrated Sabbath tracks, it's killer...It's Alright speaks for itself, Gypsy is fucking awesome, All Moving Parts is another underrated gem (IMO) and She's Gone, while overblown is fucking mad.

• Like 1