Twin Peaks returns (Confirmed)

Jabberwocky

I could live with Lynch directing the first and last episode of that season and have the rest done by Mark Frost or guest-directors, he could still produce it. As mentioned, the episodes have been written. The question I have after Lynch dropping out of the director's chair is will this affect some of the actors returning? It's still very early and undoubtedly the popularity and fans of the original show got a boost from that excellent "Entire Mystery" set, but when reality sets in Twin Peaks will be just as risky a show to pull off as it was 20 years ago. They'll need more than David Lynch fans to keep it afloat.

I could live with Lynch directing the first and last episode of that season and have the rest done by Mark Frost or guest-directors, he could still produce it. As mentioned, the episodes have been written. The question I have after Lynch dropping out of the director's chair is will this affect some of the actors returning? It's still very early and undoubtedly the popularity and fans of the original show got a boost from that excellent "Entire Mystery" set, but when reality sets in Twin Peaks will be just as risky a show to pull off as it was 20 years ago. They'll need more than David Lynch fans to keep it afloat.

The script will be different and the entire direction of the series too. It's a reason strong enough to avoid this. If Lynch is not returning, then I will probably pretend this never existed.

The script will be different and the entire direction of the series too. It's a reason strong enough to avoid this. If Lynch is not returning, then I will probably pretend this never existed.

If Lynch and Frost still have writing credit, it will be reason enough for me to revisit it and I'm sure a lot of people will give it a try, Lynch or no Lynch. I ask, where were the legions of Twin Peaks fans when Fire Walk With Me bombed at the theater? Were the TP fans pleased with the prequel/sequel? I got the impression most people didn't care for it. It was an excellent movie on its own and I would love for the new series to go in that direction. It's all still very early, we'll see how it pans out.

Things are starting to come out now regarding this whole situation.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/twin-peaks-david-lynch-showtime-1201469031/

The fate of the “Twin Peaks” revival is still up in the air but efforts to get the project back on track with David Lynch on board as director are said to be intensifying.

Showtime topper David Nevins has reached out to Lynch directly to discuss the impasse over the series budget. Others connected to the project have been trying to find creative solutions that would allow Lynch to rejoin the fold. Plans for Lynch and “Twin Peaks” co-creator Mark Frost to produce a sequel to the original ABC series were thrown in doubt Sunday after Lynch announced via Twitter that he was quitting the project over budget issues.

The situation with the famously eccentric director has been complicated by what sources say was the fact that Lynch had not been in contact with his longtime lawyer, Tom Hansen of Hansen Jacobson, before announcing his decision to depart. He is not believed to be repped by an agent or manager at the moment. Hansen could not immediately be reached for comment on Wednesday evening.

Showtime announced in October plans to produce nine new episodes of “Twin Peaks,” picking up where the cult-fave ABC series left off in 1991. Showtime set a production deal directly with Frost and Lynch, who control the rights to the series — a rarity for writers even back in the days of the original series.

The tussle over the budget emerged after Lynch and Frost turned in the nine scripts they co-wrote and it became clear that the cost of production would be significantly higher than the budgets outlined in the original deal. Sources said Showtime was willing to kick in more coin but asked for concessions in other areas, including the profit participation definitions for Lynch and Frost.

Lynch had been on board to direct all nine episodes. Frost is said to be committed to the project and was also taken by surprise by Lynch’s public statements.

Showtime is understood to be wary of proceeding without Lynch out of concern that the show’s hard-core fans would trash any effort to produce a sequel series without him, even though he has already co-written the nine scripts.

A “Save Twin Peaks” petition has been circulating on the Internet, and on Wednesday some actors from the original series posted a video blasting the notion of “Twin Peaks” returning without Lynch at the helm. However, the list did not include the series’ leading man, Kyle MacLachlan, who is confirmed to star in the revival.

This article claims that Showtime was willing to add additional funds to the production budget, but at the cost of Mark and David's percentage points. I hope it's not true, as some people will think it paints Lynch in a lesser light than we were led to believe.

The video of the cast has, in one day, gotten 137,278 views. http://www.whosay.com/madchenamick?wsref=fb&code=QVmapdkThe Save Twin Peaks petition is blowing up huge. I hope it works out.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Showtime basically said "look if you want to do it your way fine but it will come out of your pocket." Any sane director would never agree to those terms. Lynch is not some puppet Showtime can dangle around. But it's definitely not because he wants to get paid more ,something alot of people seem to think. If he was that greedy he would have directed "Return Of The Jedi" that Lucas wanted him to do.

If Showtime wants him to do it then pay the budget. Lynch isn't the one blocking the production its Showtime. If any anger and frustration should be directed towards anyone then it should be at Showtime. Lynch is the talent and Showtime is the one unwilling to provide the tools the talent needs to create the product. 16 months of talking and Showtime is still unwilling to provide the tools which resulted an impasse and the talent walks away.

The scripts and rights to Twin Peaks are owned by CBS/Showtime and they sure as shit are not going to let Lynch/Frost buy them back. It's too hot of a property. Kyle MacLachlan is locked into a contract with them so he can't quit. Sheryln Fenn (Audrey Horne) while currently not confirmed talked to Lynch a few months ago and she was going to be reprising her role. If Lynch walks then so will she. I talked to her and she said "if Lynch is not coming back then they can go ahead and recast me or kill off my character (she was to have survived her Season 2 cliffhanger)" but made it very clear she would not return without Lynch.

Showtime is playing good cop/bad cop with this situation. Lynch isn't the one being a weirdo or an asshole. Showtime approached him and Frost, not the other way around.

Edited by Jabberwocky

• 1 month later...

Via Lynch's FB 10 minutes ago, says Twin Peaks is coming back on ShowTime :)

It is happening again!!! :headbang: :headbang:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/david-lynch-twin-peaks-showtime-796083

Yea, you can't dangle this in front of fans as rabid as Twin Peaks fans. Though in Showtime's defense, I can't imagine dealing with someone as crazy as Lynch is easy.

Via Lynch's FB 10 minutes ago, says Twin Peaks is coming back on ShowTime :)

It is happening again!!! :headbang: :headbang:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/david-lynch-twin-peaks-showtime-796083

Yea, you can't dangle this in front of fans as rabid as Twin Peaks fans. Though in Showtime's defense, I can't imagine dealing with someone as crazy as Lynch is easy.

Twin Peaks fans (me included) are rabid but also very loyal. David Lynch started out as an independant film maker (and still is) but is an established icon and that doesn't happen by accident. I know he come come across as weird/crazy/quirky and also very homespun and all that, but you don't get that far in life, especially in his chosen career, without being shrewd.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we've from 9 to 18 episodes. All will be directed by David Lynch.

http://www.avclub.com/article/new-twin-peaks-will-be-18-episodes-long-and-origin-219865

That news comes from original stars Sherilyn Fenn and Sheryl Lee, who made the announcement while appearing on a Twin Peaks panel during a horror convention in Seattle. They also revealed that series composer Angelo Badalamenti will be creating new music for the show as well, and that the new Twin Peaks series will be 18 episodes long. That’s double what Showtime had originally announced it as, suggesting that the initial episode count is one of the things that made Lynch so reluctant to commit to the revival.