A Universe With God Vs. A Godless Universe

Ace Nova

Seeing as holy wars and religious oppression have severely retarded social progress throughout history the only reasonable answer is a Godless world. God = human conflict. Why not try it the other way around for a while?

Religion and God have always been the scapegoat.

One always seems to assume man is a peaceful race...when in reality, the exact opposite is true.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

Seeing as holy wars and religious oppression have severely retarded social progress throughout history the only reasonable answer is a Godless world. God = human conflict. Why not try it the other way around for a while?

One always seems to assume man is a peaceful race...when in reality, the exact opposite is true.

True. Why though? Maybe it's God, maybe it's not. Maybe if nobody thought about an 'afterlife' they'd appreciate things in real life a little more, appreciate each other a little more and actually be more peaceful.

True. Why though? Maybe it's God, maybe it's not. Maybe if nobody thought about an 'afterlife' they'd appreciate things in real life a little more, appreciate each other a little more and actually be more peaceful.

Maybe.

A person once asked Albert Einstein about a world with peace. He took them over to a microscope and showed them microscopic organisms.

When the person viewed the microscopic organisms, all he could see was chaos and them fighting, killing, and running over each other.

And Einstein replied, "This is the nature of life".

Maybe.

A person once asked Albert Einstein about a world with peace. He took them over to a microscope and showed them microscopic organisms.

When the person viewed the microscopic organisms, all he could see was chaos and them fighting, killing, and running over each other.

And Einstein replied, "This is the nature of life".

Honestly, if it were announced tomorrow that God absolutely didn't exist there's a fair chance humanity would probably destroy itself in a power struggle and you'd wind up with a bunch of modern Hitler's or some kind of 1984 dystopian shit. But it's nice to think otherwise sometimes.

^that's not really an answer to the question...

Anyway, I don't really know if I have a preference either way but I guess a godless universe would be more random which is cooler than every little fucked up detail being planned out I think. Both are kind of pointless though, in a random universe creatures live and die all the time and it doesn't matter in the grand whole of things, and in a created universe; I don't believe in messiahs or Jesus really being the son of god or any human ever having been sent directly from god or anything like that, but I do believe there's probably lots of other life out there because space is too massive for there not to be, so they'd all be created by god. What would make us so 'special'? We'd be like a forgotten "Sims" world. There's no way a god looks at us and thinks "Yea, job well done there."

I agree with your second point. Calling religion a "scapegoat" seems to be a cop-out on an epic level though.

Religion and theories aside, which would you prefer?

I wouldn't mind living in a world with a truly kind god who made everything good for everyone all the time. But since we obviously aren't, I would prefer there to not be a god in charge because that god wouldn't be a kind one.

About 10 % of all humans killed in batlle has dies in religious warfare.

If god existed and was good he would have created us more peaceful or without any reason to fight.

Honestly, if it were announced tomorrow that God absolutely didn't exist

We already known god obviously don't exist. It has sort of been announced over and over and overf again.

Religion never really caused wars, just an excuse for war.

So what are the real reasons for IS warfare in Syria and Iraq? Do they just lie when they claim they want to create a state governed by Sharia?

^that's not really an answer to the question...

Anyway, I don't really know if I have a preference either way but I guess a godless universe would be more random which is cooler than every little fucked up detail being planned out I think. Both are kind of pointless though, in a random universe creatures live and die all the time and it doesn't matter in the grand whole of things, and in a created universe; I don't believe in messiahs or Jesus really being the son of god or any human ever having been sent directly from god or anything like that, but I do believe there's probably lots of other life out there because space is too massive for there not to be, so they'd all be created by god. What would make us so 'special'? We'd be like a forgotten "Sims" world. There's no way a god looks at us and thinks "Yea, job well done there."

That's the only good answer to this question

This is not about opinions etc.

If you have zero proof for an argument then the debate is pointless

Religion's role in warfare is overrated - basically because it has been making the news a lot since September 11th. Since 1648, Europe settled the religious question and went back to making war for other reasons, dynastic, imperial. With a few exceptions (e.g. Ireland) there was little religion involved in European warfare after that date. In the east, differing religions - Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Shintoism - co-exist peacefully. In fact they interact, exchanging sutras and philosophies.

Religion's role in warfare is overrated - basically because it has been making the news a lot since September 11th. Since 1648, Europe settled the religious question and went back to making war for other reasons, dynastic, imperial. With a few exceptions (e.g. Ireland) there was little religion involved in European warfare after that date. In the east, differing religions - Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Shintoism - co-exist peacefully. In fact they interact, exchanging sutras and philosophies.

Some more information:

If we look at the 100 largest genocides in history, 10 of these were primarily motivated by religion and they are:

The Crusades (1095-1291; 3 mill dead)

The Albegensian Crusade (1208-1229; 1 mill dead)

The French Wars of Religion (1562-1598; 3 mill dead)

The Thirty Years War (1618-1648; 7.5 mill dead)

Cromwell's Invasion of Ireland (1649-1652; 0.4 mill dead)

The Taiping Rebellion (1850-1864; 20 mill dead)

The Panthay Rebellion (1855-1873; 1 mill dead)

The Hui Rebellion (1862-1878; 0.6 mill dead)

The Mahdi Revolt (1881-1898, 5.5 mill dead)

The Partition of India (1947; 0.5 mill dead)

In total, 10 % of everybody killed in wars, died in religious wars. I don't know if people exaggerate this or not, but regardless I think it is horrible.

One might also argue that the Holocaust (6 mill dead) was primarily a religiously inspired genocide since the racism against Jews largely was due to their religion.

Of smaller religious conflicts we have the Shimabara Rebellion in Japan in 1587-1660, the war in Lebanon in 1975-1990, Christian persecutions in Vietnam in 1820-1885, progroms towards Jews in Russia in 1919, Gnostic heresy in Byzantine in 845-855, the Dutch Revolt in 1566-1609 and genocide against Jews in Ukraine in 1648-1654.

As DieselDaisy says, followers of Eastern religions rarely kill each other over who has the better god. Nor do pagans, shamanists and animists. These relatively flexible religions usually keep calm until they bump up against rigid monotheists.

This was taken from Atrocitology by Matthew White, and parts were copied directly.

Edited by SoulMonster