Journey - their early albums

gunsfanoldie

Simply put, if you haven't hear this music before, you NEED to. Its fantastic. Not fantastic in the way of reinventing the wheel (in the sky. Come on, how couldn't I?!), but amazing in the way of never expecting this from this band.

I know very little about Journey. I know Don't Stop Believing, Wheel In The Sky, maybe two other songs or so. Basically, I know them for being a gay 80s band in the vein of Foreigner and Styx, etc. And not that I mean to make fun of those guys, cause obviously everyone has their own tastes but that kind of Journey and music isn't mine.

Flashback to maybe two years ago, and a friend sends me some songs. He keeps them unlabeled cause he said he didn't want my opinion to be biased. So of course, the first thing I do is look up the lyrics and realize its Journey. I'm like "come on man. Journey?! Even you're better than that". He's like "No, you don't get it." So I will say here that I give him full credit for this discovery, and basically for Journey's existence.

Little did I know Journey had this whole Fleetwood Mac early period type thing that no one ever knew about. People know the Fleetwood Mac Journey. The Don't Stop Believin in comparison to their Rumours. Well, if you are a hard rock fan, I implore you to seek out early Journey. Its really fantastic. It is full on 70s, and in that respect it isn't that much different than other stuff from that time. Its just a discovery of something new that you listen to and think "hmm, I wonder why this wasn't big. Its GREAT 70s music." Neal Schon shines on guitar, and how can you go wrong with a band consisting of Gregg Rolie from Santana and Aynseley Dunbar from so many fantastic drum sessions. Seriously, these guys had talent before Steve Perry joined the band and they got, for lack of a better term, "gay". If you like these samples, you'll love the albums.

These are the songs my friend sent me, so if they convince you like they convinced me, you should send him your regards.

• Like 1

Tell your friend he probably changed what I'm going to listen for the next 2 months. I definitely didn't expect something like this, amazing!

I'm listening to Look Into The Future (their second album) on real big speakers for the first time and its amazing. Seriously, I don't know how this record didn't make any sort of impact. It has everything I love about my favorite records from the 70s. This is my favorite of the early 3, even though they are all really good. The title track on the second album is just mindblowingly excellent. Neal's guitar playing is just as good as many of the 70s greats (and seriously these sentences would have been laughable to me if you had told me that years ago I'd be saying this about Journey).

I did the same with that one and with the first album, it was just great. I agree on Neal, he's such a mastermind. I listened his new album the other day and it blew my mind. It's hard to believe it's the same guy though :lol:, I didn't know he was an original member of Santana, I guess that explains a lot

The early 70's Journey pre Perry era is amazing. Schon played with Santana and he definatley had is own sound. Greg Rollie on vocals is amazing as well.

When Rollie left as singer , songwriter and keyboardist he recommended Jonathon Cain and it was his influence along with Perry that turned what most people would call the classic Journey sound into what it is today. But the first two albums with Perry while Rollie is still on board and contributing vocals is amazing. Its definately a shock to the system. Infinty and Evolution were good albums.