MyGNR's "Top 10 GN'R Songs" VOTING THREAD... Final Round

Choose JUST ONE!  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Estranged is a good song but i feel it's overrated. Definitely not the best GNR song.

I agree. Estranged is top ten for sure, maybe top 5, but not #1. We have failed as a forum if Estranged gets voted number 1. Personally I think something off of Appetite should be it. Something that really ROCKS. My personal picks would be Brownstone, Rocket Queen, or YCBM. Any one of those would be perfectly fine as gnr's best song. It's funny, people bash NR, DC, TIL, and other ballads all the time on this forum, but yet ESTRANGED is voted best song? I think not folks....

• Like 1

Estranged is a good song but i feel it's overrated. Definitely not the best GNR song.

I agree. Estranged is top ten for sure, maybe top 5, but not #1. We have failed as a forum if Estranged gets voted number 1. Personally I think something off of Appetite should be it. Something that really ROCKS. My personal picks would be Brownstone, Rocket Queen, or YCBM. Any one of those would be perfectly fine as gnr's best song. It's funny, people bash NR, DC, TIL, and other ballads all the time on this forum, but yet ESTRANGED is voted best song? I think not folks....
I don't really consider Estranged a ballad, it's more of an epic.
  • Like 1

I love Estranged, but Nightrain is just perfect. The balance between the 2 guitars, the drinking-related lyrics and feel, the catchy melody from the intro that sticks through the whole song... When I listen to it with friends really loud and we just keep screaming "Nightraaain!" during the outro for like 3 mins (live version) it's something that is just unreachable with Estranged.

I also think the Nightrain outros from 2002 are one of the best things GN'R has ever done, so I had to vote for Nightrain

NIghtrain epitomises Guns N' Roses in a way that the Axl ballads never will. You take Estranged, which is a perfectly nice creation, and you are listening to an Axl dominated song with some massive contributions from Slash. NIghtrain, all the elements have equal prominence. It is a pure Guns song.

• Like 3

5 very worthy selections, by the way. They're all great songs.

Estranged is my favourite song by GNR. Probably by anybody. I'm quite surprised it's as popular here as it is. But it's hard to compare it to Welcome to the Jungle, which for me epitomizes GNR as an entity, as others have mentioned as well. Was very close to voting for Jungle, because it is the definite GNR song. Really love Rocket Queen as well. But the question wasn't, what is the definite Guns n' Roses song. It is, what is the best GNR song.

And that's Estranged.

• Like 1

Just a thought, but its a shame that we couldn't collectively narrow the choices down more before this poll. I understand the process and how the choices came about, but I think it would have been a lot closer imo if there were less songs. As it stands atm, more people DIDN'T vote for Estranged than did (43 - 31) if you combine all the other songs. Estranged probably still would have won, but it would have been a lot more interesting.

• Like 1

My top five would include SCOM, It's So Easy, Mr Brownstone and Nightrain. Possibly Estranged. Possibly YCBM.

NIghtrain epitomises Guns N' Roses in a way that the Axl ballads never will. You take Estranged, which is a perfectly nice creation, and you are listening to an Axl dominated song with some massive contributions from Slash. NIghtrain, all the elements have equal prominence. It is a pure Guns song.

I was thinking about this when considering my vote, which I why I was torn between the two. I love Nightrain and it really does showcase best how the AFD lineup worked as a unit to bring out the best in each other, but it's Axl's piano, vocals, sincerity, and passion, coupled with Slash's solos that make November Rain my favourite song ever.

Surprised that Estranged wins as the best Guns N' Roses song but not November Rain. In general terms, they're very similar songs, and in my opinion, November Rain is vastly better but yeah, whatever, Estranged is awesome too.

You'd think so but Estranged is my favourite GnR song and Nov R one of my least favourites. I can't fully explain why, I like the guitar work on it but the lyrics just don't do it for me. I like TIL too so go figure...:-)

My absolute favourite song by GnR is Estranged... no question! I love most of their songs, and the list of 5 that we're up for discussion are all great. Funny though, as much as we complain about the set our top 5 didn't have 1 obscure song in there... I don't count Estranged as obscure - it was a single/video.

Estranged is cheesy

Caught in a coma... Coma is by far GnRs chessiest song, Estranged is well written, long but never labors and is full with great performances from Axl and Slash... not to forget The other guys... Axl wrote the piano parts so I'm giving Dizzy any cudos for his role in that song. Duffs bass lines weave through the song really well and never step on the piano or synths toes, Matt who I wouldn't rate usually plays fantastic atmospheric/dynamic drums... all in all a perfect song IMO. Now is it a song that I would show someone to describe GnR? no! that goes to Welcome to the jungle and November rain. No one song sums up GnRs sound. Estranged is just a huge fan favourite... not the song that defines what is GnR.

• Like 1

'Welcome To The Jungle' is their definitive song.

If you had to introduce them to someone that never heard a note, it would not be 'Estranged'. And I love that tune. Top 5 alltime tune for me.

But best ever? Nah. Its WTTJ.

• Like 1

Estranged is cheesy

Caught in a coma... Coma is by far GnRs chessiest song, Estranged is well written, long but never labors and is full with great performances from Axl and Slash... not to forget The other guys... Axl wrote the piano parts so I'm giving Dizzy any cudos for his role in that song. Duffs bass lines weave through the song really well and never step on the piano or synths toes, Matt who I wouldn't rate usually plays fantastic atmospheric/dynamic drums... all in all a perfect song IMO. Now is it a song that I would show someone to describe GnR? no! that goes to Welcome to the jungle and November rain. No one song sums up GnRs sound. Estranged is just a huge fan favourite... not the song that defines what is GnR.

I never said it was bad,just that some things like whispering 'alone' and the one, two count are cheesy. And I agree the album version of coma is cheesy as well with the heart monitors and all the talking over the song.

• Like 1