BIGGEST CONCERN: the SETLIST!

pockets

gnr is the best rock band in the world right now. not the best cover band. gnr is not a cover band.

"Best" is totally subjective. But GNR is now a cover band. It's made of musicians who cover the work of the musicians who wrote the songs and made those songs famous.There are 8 people in GNR. Only one of them is playing music which he wrote. 7/8 of GNR is making a living by covering the songs which other people wrote. Meaning, 88% of the people in GNR are covering material they didn't write.That's a cover band.
Yeah, just like Elton John concerts are cover shows because all of the musicians beside him onstage didn't write the songs.And Alice Cooper concerts are cover shows for the same reason.And Paul McCartney.Have a wank.

Those aren't even valid examples.Your example would only hold weight if Axl was performing and selling tickets as Axl Rose and not as Guns n Roses. This current band has not put out one song written/produced by the current band. At the last show, not one song was a song created by the current band. They aren't a "covers" band in the sense they just cover "other" band's material. But they certainly aren't a band that releases music as a band, and they are a band that is making a living off of playing material that a different version of their band wrote. So in a way, they are sort of a covers band. Pockets - this is still my favorite band in the world, solely and only because of the lead singer. Are they the best band in the world? Well, we can't judge that from music they've released. So we can only go on live performances, and sadly, there aren't very many people would loft them to being the number one band in the world based on their live shows. Do they have the potential to be the top rock band in the world? Heck yes they do. But it all lays in the hands of Mr. Axl Rose and if he wants to or not. Releasing one album every 20 years sort of shows that he doesn't care that much anymore.

I don't dispute anything you said. My point was they're not a covers band. Yeah it's the Axl Rose band more than it's Guns N' Roses from a songwriting perspective. But an original singer performing songs he originally sang with backup only ever seems to get referred to as a 'covers band' in reference to Guns.

When Paul McCartney starts playing shows as The Beatles I'll give him a hard time as well. It's exactly what Axl does with GNR.

That's probably the most accurate analogy. What Axl has done is as asinine as if McCartney hired a bunch of nobodies and called it the Beatles.

You need to find the Myoldgnrforum

- Don't derail the thread with off-topic discussion.

- There's only one MYGNR forum.

- This forum is for all eras of Guns N' Roses.

- You will never tell me what to do.

Now, do you have anything substantial to discuss about the thread's topic?

relax man , was a joke :blink:

gnr isn't a covers band because it is gnr. not billed as a covers band. it's guns n roses

I know dj ashba and ron thal are playing slash each time a song from appetite, illusions, and lies is played

I know dj ashba and ron thal are playing buckethead and robin finck each time a Chinese song is played

I know dj ashba and ron thal have yet to play dj ashba and ron thal live

because we don't really know if dj and ron have any of their own gnr songs ready to go live

but I feel gnr is gnr and not covers band despite the fact they are playing slash, buckethead, and robin finck every concert

It is kind of a cover band in a way but they are playing pretty good sets. Those songs make sense for this line up. If there was a reunion we might get Bad, DTJ, Pretty tied up, DNB, 14 Years every show. I think Esteanged and Civil War are bigger tracks, even Yesterdays so I don't have a problem with the set list. But I've only seen them once and they played ITW, TWAT, Shacklers, TIL, IRS so I was happy. When you're at the show you don't care that much. To me a big band plays the hits. If I go to ACDC they better play Thinderstruck.

I care about cd2 songs I care about 2014 gnr moving forward instead of living in a slash bubble

I hope im not the only one who cares

and today gnr isn't a cover band. they are the best band in the world. name a better band.

I know in my heart of hearts axl will promote cd2. why else would axl say he's recorded a remix album and the next new album?

was axl misquoted by journalists in the music field?

and in the 90's on tour despite what the fans prepaid in advance to hear - axl went against the norm and played a whole bunch new songs - making the setlist different and new every night

so why cant axl do that now with the setlist?

We all care about GnR past and present... we're just a little longer in the tooth on this subject than you seem to be. CD II will be lucky if it sells more than 2/3million... and that's with the help of a large corporation like walmart or best buy agreeing to buy a big chunk first... and the album having at least one BIg single.

The set-list does not look like it's going to change drastically, what Axl did in the early 90s 00s and what he's doing now are two different things. If you're going to GnR concerts now and expecting them to play unreleased material you're going to be disappointed, most bands don't want to play new material before it's official release because everyone puts it on youtube straight away.

Todays GnR walk a fine line between their own thing and a cover band... I see why people think they're a cover band, I personally don't consider them a cover band anymore than I would Whitesnake or Megadeth. I am however really disappointed in the new line up because they/he can't get it together and release a follow up... when it's actually not the hardest thing in the world to do. Look at World on fire as an example of how quick you can make a good record... almost 2 albums worth of material.

When Paul McCartney starts playing shows as The Beatles I'll give him a hard time as well. It's exactly what Axl does with GNR.

Well... to be honest the same thing could have been said about Megadeth 2005-2010. Only Mustaine was left, and still it was not called a "cover-band".

And when it comes to metal, what about Napalm Death? no original members left.

Mötörhead? The Beach Boys? All Marks of Deep Purple?

I mean, I understand your point, but there are tons of bands in which 2/3rd of the members quit, and the remaining decide to go on with the show.

The REAL issue is just Slash. People wouldn't care if Axl would bring a GnR semi-reunion with Izzy, Duff, Dizzy, Matt or Steven + some other guys like Wylde instead of the Slashman.

They even could accept GnR as it is with Slash replacing Ashba.

The whole "cover band" argument is hypocritical as far as I'm concerned, since 90% of those critics would be satisfied with Axl & Slash playing alonside Ferrer, Stinson & Fortus.

Well, maybe I'm wrong after all, but that's just my opinion.

gnr is the best rock band in the world right now. not the best cover band. gnr is not a cover band.

"Best" is totally subjective. But GNR is now a cover band. It's made of musicians who cover the work of the musicians who wrote the songs and made those songs famous.There are 8 people in GNR. Only one of them is playing music which he wrote. 7/8 of GNR is making a living by covering the songs which other people wrote. Meaning, 88% of the people in GNR are covering material they didn't write.That's a cover band.

Yeah, just like Elton John concerts are cover shows because all of the musicians beside him onstage didn't write the songs.

And Alice Cooper concerts are cover shows for the same reason.

And Paul McCartney.

Have a wank.

And Elton John calls his band what? Elton John?

Paul McCartney is selling his shows as The Beatles? Nope.

lol. Have a wank.

The question was 'covering' as you know, oh tedious one.

Elton John isn't calling his shows Elton John and Bernie Taupin even though that would represent the songwriting team. Paul calls his shows by his name regardless of whether or not his band is "covering" his solo stuff, Beatles or Wings.

Meanwhile Axl plays GNR songs and calls it GNR. So what. Get the fuck over it, its been 15 years.

you've missed the point.

Badly.

• Like 1

gnr isn't a covers band because it is gnr. not billed as a covers band. it's guns n roses

I know dj ashba and ron thal are playing slash each time a song from appetite, illusions, and lies is played

I know dj ashba and ron thal are playing buckethead and robin finck each time a Chinese song is played

I know dj ashba and ron thal have yet to play dj ashba and ron thal live

because we don't really know if dj and ron have any of their own gnr songs ready to go live

but I feel gnr is gnr and not covers band despite the fact they are playing slash, buckethead, and robin finck every concert

Guns N' Roses was never a cover band, but this current band isn't Guns N' Roses. They haven't done anything to earn that, other than playing material other people wrote, which is exactly what cover bands do. Axl can bill his band as "Guns N' Roses" because he has that right, but that doesn't make it "Guns N' Roses" and it's not even that, I mean, it isn't a matter of "the name". It's about a band with a steady line-up since 2009 that has not been able to release a single 3-minute song yet.

If you want to go technical, since that's the only thing Axl fans do, I gotta remember you that Axl dissolved the partnership in the 90s, then formed a new group and used the name he fully owned.

Well... to be honest the same thing could have been said about Megadeth 2005-2010. Only Mustaine was left, and still it was not called a "cover-band".

And when it comes to metal, what about Napalm Death? no original members left.

Mötörhead? The Beach Boys? All Marks of Deep Purple?

I mean, I understand your point, but there are tons of bands in which 2/3rd of the members quit, and the remaining decide to go on with the show.

The REAL issue is just Slash. People wouldn't care if Axl would bring a GnR semi-reunion with Izzy, Duff, Dizzy, Matt or Steven + some other guys like Wylde instead of the Slashman.

They even could accept GnR as it is with Slash replacing Ashba.

The whole "cover band" argument is hypocritical as far as I'm concerned, since 90% of those critics would be satisfied with Axl & Slash playing alonside Ferrer, Stinson & Fortus.

Well, maybe I'm wrong after all, but that's just my opinion.

Yes, you're wrong.

I don't think the problem is what they're playing, who's in the band or who's not but how they're only playing material other people wrote. Let's forget that it's a matter of who's in the band. Tell me, by 2005-2010, did Megadeth only perform material Mustaine wrote? That 2005-2010 line-up didn't have original material to perform in those five years? I don't know this since I'm not a Megadeth fan.

They wouldn't be labeled as a cover band, which they are if they were playing their original material too. A setlist with 7 original songs they wrote, recorded and released along with 15 "classic", "Slash-era", "Buckethead-era" songs would be perfectly understandable.

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 1

wasted - twat catcher shackler's if the world irs Madagascar and prostitute isn't played enough at gnr concerts on a regular basis

I expect these bucket n' robin Chinese songs not to be played just at one show but at every show until the tour or residency ends

wasted - twat catcher shackler's if the world irs Madagascar and prostitute isn't played enough at gnr concerts on a regular basis

I expect these bucket n' robin Chinese songs not to be played just at one show but at every show until the tour or residency ends

True they play 1 or 2 of those. Catcher and Shacklers more of late. With TWAT. Then Prostitute once or twice. Madagascar had a long run.

Shacklers and ITW should be staple by now. TWAT and Catcher could be like the centre piece every show.

Prositute would be great just after TIL in the set.

Madagascar yes.

I'm not sure how this set would go over with GNR audience. Would people lose it not to hear Easy n Brownstone?

The Stones seem to rotate a little so it's not quite always the same. Small big changes. Like keep switching Easy and Shacklers and Brownstone and ITW.

So it's like

Chi dem

Jungle

Easy

ITW

Or

Nightrain

Shacklers

Brownstone

Chi Dem

Estranged/TWAT

Scraped/Out Ta get me

Yeah, just like Elton John concerts are cover shows because all of the musicians beside him onstage didn't write the songs.And Alice Cooper concerts are cover shows for the same reason.And Paul McCartney.Have a wank.
And Elton John calls his band what? Elton John?Paul McCartney is selling his shows as The Beatles? Nope. lol. Have a wank.
The question was 'covering' as you know, oh tedious one.Elton John isn't calling his shows Elton John and Bernie Taupin even though that would represent the songwriting team. Paul calls his shows by his name regardless of whether or not his band is "covering" his solo stuff, Beatles or Wings.Meanwhile Axl plays GNR songs and calls it GNR. So what. Get the fuck over it, its been 15 years.

you've missed the point. Badly.
If the point is people are a bunch of whiny precious bell-ends still whingeing about the name 15 years on, I think I nailed the cunt right on the head. If anyone should have been protecting the name it's the band members not the fans, and every band member that could have 'protected the legacy' (which by the way is one of the most categorically stupid arguments going) has fucked up. Slash and Duff both signed the name over and provably lied about the circumstances under which they did so. Slash 'protects the legacy' by being a shitty caricature of himself and rerecording Paradise City with Fergie. Axl 'protects the legacy' by releasing one album in 20 years, touring the same show for over a decade and not giving a shit about putting on sub-par performances or moving forward anymore.

They fucked up. All of them. (Duff to the least extent, but never being one of the two main 'faces' of the band, he had less impact anyhow). Hope things get better or don't.

Edited by tomfriend

yeah. that is like how the gnr setlist rotate. so how come the majority doesn't think the same?

its not really the set list that matters but the show. so i guess they look at the audience or know what they want.

Do you mean majority of forum users or majority of GNRs real audience. The real audience mostly don't care about anything other than the hits or just the experience of a show. The band and Axl has really improved the whole show to the point it's one of the best live shows to see.

But us forum dwellers we like to see a kaleidoscope of tracks.hipster deep cuts from UYI 2 like Breakdown. More UYI tracks that they hardly ever played anyway. I think DTJ and Bad Ibsession are notable omissions. Maybe more SPaghetti songs.

They need to do a couple of deep cuts from each album. With info these days though you soon spot the pattern.

Maybe CD2 is the answer. Take some AFD songs out and put in Jackie Chan and Atlas Shruuged, Soul Monster and Seven.

Or if Duff and Izzy come back maybe they'd play My Michelle, Attitude, 14 Years and Used to Love Her more.

Edited by wasted

Thing is Axl these days is patently a slob. There's nothing to indicate he's being productive or giving much of a shit. The nostalgia route was always the easy one - Guns is still a recognizable name with recognizable songs to even the most casual rock fan, and casual rock fans probably make up the bulk of the current audience at gigs. It's up to Axl to challenge them with new shit, "hey, yeah - I'll give you Sweet Child in a minute but first check out this killer new song". He's just too complacent and doesn't have it in him anymore. He can go out there and half-ass it and just 'give the people what they want' and get plenty of applause for it - more than Atlas Shrugged or some conplex new epic will get from a wide audience. But nothing good ever comes easy. He just doesn't seem to care enough anymore and has fallen into a lazy, boring cycle.

I think he's just sitting on CD II. Knows its great but also that once it's out there's going to be 10 years of touring. I think GNR will still be touring when The Stones quit. They prob will make another record too.

Well if nothing else I admire your optimism. *cough* fool *cough* ;)

Edited by tomfriend

Axl does make it seem like putting out a record is virtually impossible.

The importance of it for him. In the end it's just a record but not really.

If I had to guess, I'd say CD ll is just as great as Chinese, maybe even better cause it could have more rockers and Robin said some of his favorite guitar moments were not even on Chinese. I think it will balance out the too many ballads, not enough rockers thing cause with CD ll released, it will be the double like Axl said it is. That's the way we're meant to listen to it. 30 songs not 14.

He's not gonna let go of it easily. It is like a toy in a way to him but he knows every kid should grow up and he'll do the responsible deal with enough money to promote it. He's seriously looking into it now, it's a definite maybe meaning he wants to, but doesn't want to commit to a specific time cause he may fuck it up and it will be late as shit.

I don't think he'll release just half of the work so at least CD ll will be out. I also think he only now is interested in releasing it, so that's good news cause when he wants to do something, he can move mountains, and that's probably exactly what he'll need to do cause his standards for release are probably insane cause he's insane.

Edited by Rovim

2014 gnr concerts should have more Chinese songs on a regular basis guys

makes sense. makes good business sense.

and the latest gnr album release is Chinese. not afd. not illusions. not lies. its chinese

so it doesn't make sense why classics dominate Chinese live since Chinese is the latest gnr album release

Axl does make it seem like putting out a record is virtually impossible.

The importance of it for him. In the end it's just a record but not really.

If I had to guess, I'd say CD ll is just as great as Chinese, maybe even better cause it could have more rockers and Robin said some of his favorite guitar moments were not even on Chinese. I think it will balance out the too many ballads, not enough rockers thing cause with CD ll released, it will be the double like Axl said it is. That's the way we're meant to listen to it. 30 songs not 14.

He's not gonna let go of it easily. It is like a toy in a way to him but he knows every kid should grow up and he'll do the responsible deal with enough money to promote it. He's seriously looking into it now, it's a definite maybe meaning he wants to, but doesn't want to commit to a specific time cause he may fuck it up and it will be late as shit.

I don't think he'll release just half of the work so at least CD ll will be out. I also think he only now is interested in releasing it, so that's good news cause when he wants to do something, he can move mountains, and that's probably exactly what he'll need to do cause his standards for release are probably insane cause he's insane.

I think he should just do a simple release but time it so it comes out while they are touring.

Maybe the label are looking for an iTunes deal and 50 mil in 3 years time is better than 10 next year. Maybe to them The blu ray was a soild release so in 4 years time the follow up might be getting more media attention. Gives them time to go into a studio and do the 12 Ashba songs of classic GNR stuff he's working on.

[

Edited by wasted

I think Axl knows CD II will probably be his last release. And I really hope so, so CD II is at least as good enough as CD, which is one of my favourites albums of all time. With the supposed 30+ songs from the CD sessions, and the classic GN'R songs Ashba has written I don't think it's an easy task to pick 15 songs to make a coherent and good sounding album. Especially when most of the songs are unfinished versions and demos