Axl Rose 1995-2001 era

There are no singles on CD. Nothing released would of caught the publics attention. And jumping back and forth between producers was always going to be a bad idea. They're all going to have their own ideas.

Ezrin was right, the songs were over produced and had lost whatever they were about by the time he got there. If you've recorded something a million times, chances are you're going to be pretty uninspired by the time you're doing the millionth which is what happened.

This album is a lot like George Lucas tinkering with the Star Wars films now. Everything he does only makes them worse. The earlier versions of this songs would of been far better than the glossed over bloated versions released.

• Like 1

Man, I remember those years not too fondly as a GNR fan. Compounding the problem was that most of the music during that time period was terrible. There were a few good bands still releasing some terrific albums, but it just felt like a total vacuum that many, including myself, were hoping GNR was going to come along and fill. Making matters worse was the fact that GNR was not a band you wanted to openly admit to liking. It wasn't until the early 2000s when it became "hip" to like GNR again. For those not following the band during this time, acknowledging that you were a GNR fan back then was akin to admitting you're a Nickelback or Creed fan today.

Seeing Axl's mug shot in 1998 was somewhat shocking as I felt he looked unrecognizable. I remember thinking at the time that I hoped his music wouldn't be as dissimilar as I felt his visual appearance seemed to be. Then came the chorus for OMG during the 1999 Superbowl ad for End of Days and thinking, "what the fuck!?!" It wasn't until I heard the song in its entirety that I had my faith somewhat restored.

Anyone who complains about the current radio silence we're receiving from the band wasn't around during 1995-2001. As much as GNR fans like to grip, 2001-2014 has felt like a non-stop GNR parade compared to those bleak years.

1 million is sucky. It would have been their Draw the Line. With Axl singing and the GNR name maybe it would have sold a bit more. I felt like it might fit the grunge era in a way. Drop all the production.

Only song I remember are Neither can I and Hate everybody but you. I think if This I Love came attached it could have been a way to keep the band alive. Axl could have had an easier life letting Slash take control maybe letting him do a epic ballad per album.

They were polar opposites. Slash uses Jack Douglas, Axl gets RTB. How do you keep them both happy?

My real query is where's the next Jungle? On UYI Live n let Die was that. But since then Slash hasn't done a big rocker that really could have been GNR. Slither I guess but that came out in 2004? Hate Everybody could have been like another YCBM if they worked on it as a band...

Sucky for a side project with a thrown together band and an album recorded in less than 2 weeks with minimal production costs? You must be high, or, an Axl worshipper
Sucky for a GNR album, I go on to say it could sell more and could've worked as a GNR album with Axl singing and maybe just one Axl ballad.

So, a little high; a little Axl worship; but not biased.

I really think it could have worked enough for it to save the band. Axl could of just said okay then.

Man, I remember those years not too fondly as a GNR fan. Compounding the problem was that most of the music during that time period was terrible. There were a few good bands still releasing some terrific albums, but it just felt like a total vacuum that many, including myself, were hoping GNR was going to come along and fill. Making matters worse was the fact that GNR was not a band you wanted to openly admit to liking. It wasn't until the early 2000s when it became "hip" to like GNR again. For those not following the band during this time, acknowledging that you were a GNR fan back then was akin to admitting you're a Nickelback or Creed fan today.

Seeing Axl's mug shot in 1998 was somewhat shocking as I felt he looked unrecognizable. I remember thinking at the time that I hoped his music wouldn't be as dissimilar as I felt his visual appearance seemed to be. Then came the chorus for OMG during the 1999 Superbowl ad for End of Days and thinking, "what the fuck!?!" It wasn't until I heard the song in its entirety that I had my faith somewhat restored.

Anyone who complains about the current radio silence we're receiving from the band wasn't around during 1995-2001. As much as GNR fans like to grip, 2001-2014 has felt like a non-stop GNR parade compared to those bleak years.

I think I felt the same. None of bands I liked were really functioning. There was Audioslave, RATM Renegades album, I was following GNR via Slashs Snakepit website. But about the same time I started listening to UYI again and Back in Black. God damn then Axl cancelled that Leeds festival show. I really thought that was it for GNR.

1 million is sucky. It would have been their Draw the Line. With Axl singing and the GNR name maybe it would have sold a bit more. I felt like it might fit the grunge era in a way. Drop all the production.

Only song I remember are Neither can I and Hate everybody but you. I think if This I Love came attached it could have been a way to keep the band alive. Axl could have had an easier life letting Slash take control maybe letting him do a epic ballad per album.

They were polar opposites. Slash uses Jack Douglas, Axl gets RTB. How do you keep them both happy?

My real query is where's the next Jungle? On UYI Live n let Die was that. But since then Slash hasn't done a big rocker that really could have been GNR. Slither I guess but that came out in 2004? Hate Everybody could have been like another YCBM if they worked on it as a band...

Sucky for a side project with a thrown together band and an album recorded in less than 2 weeks with minimal production costs? You must be high, or, an Axl worshipper
Sucky for a GNR album, I go on to say it could sell more and could've worked as a GNR album with Axl singing and maybe just one Axl ballad.

I really think it could have worked enough for it to save the band. Axl could of just said okay then.

Personally I liked 5 O'clock alot more than Chinese and agree it would have been better with Guns and Axl than the band he put together

Personally I liked 5 O'clock alot more than Chinese and agree it would have been better with Guns and Axl than the band he put together
I like them both. Probably Slashs best record. Pure Slash. I don't like the metal solo career. VR was okay but the Snakepit stuff is what I think he does best. The loose demo production is perfect.

But I don't think it would have been a great GNR. CD is much more like it in terms of quality and songwriting. Maybe could be a bit more hard rock but it was probably about right for the times.

I like them both. Probably Slashs best record. Pure Slash. I don't like the metal solo career. VR was okay but the Snakepit stuff is what I think he does best. The loose demo production is perfect.

But I don't think it would have been a great GNR. CD is much more like it in terms of quality and songwriting. Maybe could be a bit more hard rock but it was probably about right for the times.

your opinion and mine differ 180 degrees on Chinese. Every song outsie of IRS, Sorry, Scraped and CD bore the shit out of me. Really Rhiad and Shacklers right for what times? Thank god OMG and Silkworms didn't make the album. But Prostitute, TIL, TWAT, ITW, Better are more like bed time material than anything else. Catcher's and maddy OK. But seriously, I thought the quality and songwriting sucked for the most part. The best thing I can say about CD is that it was ambitious.

your opinion and mine differ 180 degrees on Chinese. Every song outsie of IRS, Sorry, Scraped and CD bore the shit out of me. Really Rhiad and Shacklers right for what times? Thank god OMG and Silkworms didn't make the album. But Prostitute, TIL, TWAT, ITW, Better are more like bed time material than anything else. Catcher's and maddy OK. But seriously, I thought the quality and songwriting sucked for the most part. The best thing I can say about CD is that it was ambitious.
UYI 2 was kind of boring too. I like those songs though. CW, 14 Years, Yesterdays, Heavens Door isn't bringing the fiah. Madagascar, Better, SOD, ITW similar. Nov Rain is no more exciting than TIL.

I just think 80s/AFD elements in 2008 weren't ever going to happen much with that line up or album. 90s in the 00s. Seems about right. Only 80s hard rock around was Wolfmother and The Darkness? I guess it's more about making a retro 90s record than rejecting 80s hard rock. I think they made the right choice to do something different than try to write classic GNR sounding stuff. Dj is going to #goalloutforvictory

There's still echoes of GNR across the record. It's pretty self referential in many ways. It could only be GNR even though we know its not. GNR puts out an 90s Alt record that sounds like GNR. That's how Axl moved on musically, while singing about the past. So many contradictions, so many paradoxs.

I think I felt the same. None of bands I liked were really functioning. There was Audioslave, RATM Renegades album, I was following GNR via Slashs Snakepit website. But about the same time I started listening to UYI again and Back in Black. God damn then Axl cancelled that Leeds festival show. I really thought that was it for GNR.

ya man

i remember never not being obssessed with gnr to the point that the only news which was non news was when a classic rock station would play paradise city and wonder if the band would ever get back together or what the fuck the status was

then finally my only news of anything was the mugshot on pop up video

thats the only news of axl and gnr in fucking like 5-6 years

terrible

metallica wasn't even that good i had to listen to mostly gay radio dance music

the funny thing is that

5 ocklock and CD are almost toe to toe the same as fucking quality which is not very good

get a grip Slash AXL and get duff/izzy in there to write SOMETHING NEW

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 1