Will your opinion of Duff change if he joins Nu-GNR?

I would wonder why Duff would want to become a Brazilian's gimp.

Got a lot to gain. Money, bigger crowds, and he seemed to love playing for/with Axl again. He even played Chinese tunes. Axl talked about them completing each other's sentences idk something gay. I think Axl only now is really letting Duff in. Into the new Gn'R circle. In 2010 it wasn't the same when Duff played You Could Be Mine with him. He gave a great vocal performance but almost in defiance to Duff's presence as much as because of it. To prove something, but now that he did, there's a chance here imo for more. I'm talking studio work and Duff might helping Axl out in the studio with a few songs. He can make it sound even more Gn'R.

Edited by Rovim

So Axl and Duff are in the studio tinkering with songs that were pretty much done for at least 6 years? And how does Tommy feel about that?

I doubt Tommy will care.

It would show Axl has no faith in Tommy's musical capabilities. Understandable since Tommy is a mediocre musician. I don't know if Duff can help much. Those songs have nothing to do with the original sound of GNR.

So Axl and Duff are in the studio tinkering with songs that were pretty much done for at least 6 years? And how does Tommy feel about that?

I doubt Tommy will care.

It would show Axl has no faith in Tommy's musical capabilities. Understandable since Tommy is a mediocre musician. I don't know if Duff can help much. Those songs have nothing to do with the original sound of GNR.

You're mediocre. Tommy is a fine bass player. It will just show Axl wants to work with Duff too, which makes sense cause Axl likes to add a lot of different musicians into the mix in the studio anyway. It's the Chinese way.

Duff can help cause he's a gunner fo life, which means he is one of the original elements of the true Guns sound. It's not just cool basslines with Duff, he helped with the arrangements of many Guns classics. He knows how to make it Gn'R in structure and direction plus Guns basslines and maybe even a song or two. (lol ngh)

I doubt Tommy will care.

You're mediocre. Tommy is a fine bass player. It will just show Axl wants to work with Duff too, which makes sense cause Axl likes to add a lot of different musicians into the mix in the studio anyway. It's the Chinese way.

Duff can help cause he's a gunner fo life, which means he is one of the original elements of the true Guns sound. It's not just cool basslines with Duff, he helped with the arrangements of many Guns classics. He knows how to make it Gn'R in structure and direction plus Guns basslines and maybe even a song or two. (lol ngh)

LOL, why with the personal insult? Sorry if my opinion hurts your feelings so much. Good post, tho.

I doubt Tommy will care.

LOL, why with the personal insult? Sorry if my opinion hurts your feelings so much. Good post, tho.

It was out of love. Out of love for Guns and the love of playing to a crowd.

I'd love a list of memorable Tommy basslines. Too bad they don't exist.

Sure they do. All of Chinese. Rusty, glad you like it. I really believe it too. He's a fine bass player. A fine bass player.

Edited by Rovim

I suggest you listen to the multitracks again because there is nothing from Tommy that is outstanding.

I listen to the multitracks every week. Fine bass playing going on there and Oh My God as well. But what you consider outstanding can be shit to me and vice versa so idk. :shrugs:

Got a lot to gain. Money, bigger crowds, and he seemed to love playing for/with Axl again. He even played Chinese tunes. Axl talked about them completing each other's sentences idk something gay. I think Axl only now is really letting Duff in. Into the new Gn'R circle. In 2010 it wasn't the same when Duff played You Could Be Mine with him. He gave a great vocal performance but almost in defiance to Duff's presence as much as because of it. To prove something, but now that he did, there's a chance here imo for more. I'm talking studio work and Duff might helping Axl out in the studio with a few songs. He can make it sound even more Gn'R.

Matt and Duff have Kings of Chaos for the big crowds and can do any songs they want. Every tour is different because they never have the same lineup exact lineup. They had 4/5 of Velvet Revolver except Weiland and I wouldn't be surprised if Scott did tour with them at some point.

If you read why Duff left Janes Addiction, you'll see why he'd never rejoin GNR as a full time member, but he left them with 4 songs he co-wrote.

I suggest you listen to the multitracks again because there is nothing from Tommy that is outstanding.

I listen to the multitracks every week. Fine bass playing going on there and Oh My God as well. But what you consider outstanding can be shit to me and vice versa so idk. :shrugs:

I didn't call it shit. It's mediocre. Nothing outstanding. Want to upload a clip of a part of those multitracks you think is so amazing? I'm curious. If you can't upload, tell me what song and time, I'm curious.

Matt and Duff have Kings of Chaos for the big crowds

:rofl-lol:

That's what I figured.

lol you're so tough and manly. Already said all of Chinese and Oh My God. I like Catcher's and If The World's basslines, but on every song Tommy is keeping it tight while keeping the groove goin', and in the more ballady stuff it's really melodic. Street Of Dreams is another cool one. Also pretty cool basslines in The Replacements work. Great tone as well, but not as good as Duff's.

Edit: and There Was A Time's bassline.

Edited by Rovim

lol you're so tough and manly.

:blink: Okkkkkkkkk

Whatever that's about.

I like Catcher's and If The World's basslines

What part? Majority of Catcher is nothing but single note plucking. Maybe every 30 seconds you get a guitar center-ish fill that is nothing outstanding to call it "a fine bassline."

For If the world, majority of which soundslike plain synth, I'm not hearing the awesomeness you're talking about. Much like Oh My God. I think you may mistaking the studio synth bass for Tommy. Breaking it down, you can see just how much involvement the guys really had in the studio. Not a whole lot.

but on every song Tommy is keeping it tight while keeping the groove goin', and in the more ballady stuff it's really melodic. Street Of Dreams is another cool one.

Edit: and There Was A Time's bassline.

"Tommy is keeping it tight?" and "Keeping the groove going?"

Majority of all his basslines are ringing notes serving the guitar/keyboard/piano.

What is in SoD that is so amazing? It's du-du........do-de-do...du-du. What groove? What tightness? What melody?

Tommy is a normal bassist found anywhere. All ya need is a decent sense of timing and a pulse. I'm not saying he's bad or anything. He does what's needed and that's to sit back, drink and let the 20 guitarists, the vox and Axl do the work. He's filling bottom. That's it.

Listen to Shackler's. It's got some groove to the line but that's because he is just filling bottom for Buckethead. It's a cheesy riff. You could have handed Buckethead the bass and got the same result. Nothing unique or awesome there.

Sorry but I don't see the reason to call him a fine bassist. Adequate? Yeah, but nothing special. He doesn't write much of anything and he fills bottom. The same thing he did in the Replacements. :shrugs:

Edited by Rustycage
  • Like 2

Duff can only bring positive change to band and maybe help the old members to get together again.

It is so nice to see him on stage with Axl, he is a great man, friendly personality, normal, intelligent,...he is the only member I wouldn't blame for anything.