Apparently there were chemical weapons in Iraq, just not the right ones

downzy

Interesting article in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/14/world/middleeast/us-casualties-of-iraq-chemical-weapons.html?_r=0

Apparently U.S. troops did discover chemical weapons in Iraq from 2004-2011. The problem: they were all made prior to 1991 and many were actually designed in the U.S., manufactured in Europe, and fulfilled in Iraq by Western companies. Oops!

The travesty of it all is that the Pentagon did little to inform U.S. soldiers about these weapons. So many troops were indirectly or directly exposed to these nerve or mustard agents since the Pentagon did not want this information to get out, even to its own soldiers.

• Like 1

I guess I can understand why the Pentagon didn't want this information released..... most people don't know or understand that Iraq was (more or less) allied with the West prior to them invading Kuwait.

A good rule of thumb is to look at who we're bombing at the moment and subtract 15 or 20 years, we put them there.

• Like 2

I guess I can understand why the Pentagon didn't want this information released..... most people don't know or understand that Iraq was (more or less) allied with the West prior to them invading Kuwait.

Don't they? Pretty common knowledge to anyone that owns a TV I would've thought :shrugs:

• Like 1

Wasn't the US funding Bin Laden to fight the Russians during the Cold War. Then when it was over they pulled funding and he got pissed.

We kind of knew they didn't have WMDs because the guys running the program's in Iraq were known not to be capable of producing working nukes.

Those weapons they have on TV those rocket launchers on tripods are old skool.

We should just drop a couple nukes on Iraq then go in and tidy up. Not popular idea but we could then stop talking about this fake war.

Wasn't the US funding Bin Laden to fight the Russians during the Cold War. Then when it was over they pulled funding and he got pissed.

We kind of knew they didn't have WMDs because the guys running the program's in Iraq were known not to be capable of producing working nukes.

Those weapons they have on TV those rocket launchers on tripods are old skool.

We should just drop a couple nukes on Iraq then go in and tidy up. Not popular idea but we could then stop talking about this fake war.

Don't they? Pretty common knowledge to anyone that owns a TV I would've thought :shrugs:

I guarantee if you were to poll the average American, most of them would think you were crazy for insinuating such a thing. :lol:

It's not even that Americans don't know. It's worse than that. We just don't give a fuck, and we're so convinced of our own righteousness that all cock ups, no matter how large nor how numerous, are simply swept away as accidents or mistakes. We'll do better next time. Proof? None needed.

We're the strongest. We don't need to bother with evidence and accountability. Just make sure you're on our side when we decide to liberate a bitch.

• Like 1

It's not even that Americans don't know. It's worse than that. We just don't give a fuck, and we're so convinced of our own righteousness that all cock ups, no matter how large nor how numerous, are simply swept away as accidents or mistakes. We'll do better next time. Proof? None needed.

We're the strongest. We don't need to bother with evidence and accountability. Just make sure you're on our side when we decide to liberate a bitch.

I think 10 - 20 years ago, you would have been spot on in describing many (if not most) Americans. I think as time progresses (especially after Iraq)more and more Americans have grown tired of the foreign policies of the past and are leaning towards a non intervention foreign policy.

Whether they are starting to lean this way for the same reasons you or I would, is a different story. :lol:

Edited by Kasanova King

I guarantee if you were to poll the average American, most of them would think you were crazy for insinuating such a thing. :lol:

That's because the average American is a brainwashed thick as shit ignoramus.

No bigger cunts than anyone else, who can truly stand up and say they are better? It's a human thing, we're all the same kinda angels and cunts really, American culture is about the most influential in the world right now and it ain't cuz of some concerted brainwashing campaign either, before someone wheels that one out, cultural blitzkrieg or whatever.

Edited by Lennie Godber

Yeah we all knew Iraq had chemical weapons, we still had the receipts from when we sold them to him.

The history of Britain, Oil, the Middle East and Iraq/Saddam and America is a very interesting one and more Westerners should look into it to get the whole picture.

• Like 1

Yeah, most Americans want to forget that their beloved Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush were friendly with Saddam in the 1980's because he hated Iran and opposed a proposed Union with Syria and Egypt which would have put Israel at a bad position. So he was supplied chemical weapons to use on Iranians and when he used them on rebellious Kurds, they looked the other way until 2003.

A lot more people should have been put on trial besides Saddam. But the problem is that he was the loser and the rest were winners.

It kind of goes back to Kennedy assassination which H. W. Bush had a part in covering up as head of the CIA stonewalling all investigations into Kennedy/King. Then he actively pushed for continuing in Vietnam.

He also had an oil company called Zapata Petroleum. Not surprising he was interested in the oil rich middle east.

His father was Prescot Bush who was on the board of directors of Union Banking Corporation which was suspected of holding gold for Nazi leaders. So after the Gulf war it was no surprise that W. went for Iraq. Oil, Vietnam/military involvement.

They shady!

It kind of goes back to Kennedy assassination which H. W. Bush had a part in covering up as head of the CIA stonewalling all investigations into Kennedy/King. Then he actively pushed for continuing in Vietnam.

He also had an oil company called Zapata Petroleum. Not surprising he was interested in the oil rich middle east.

His father was Prescot Bush who was on the board of directors of Union Banking Corporation which was suspected of holding gold for Nazi leaders. So after the Gulf war it was no surprise that W. went for Iraq. Oil, Vietnam/military involvement.

They shady!

Uh, not sure about this breakdown. Not because of the info but the way it's pieced together. lol

Maybe time for a few words from this fella.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4CQ_1GWn4w&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqBOMBSDQsI&sns=em

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 2

After 2 weeks of continuous carpet bombing it went from the Elite Republican guard to the republican guard, after 3 weeks it was the guards, after 4 weeks it was the republicans made this shit up about there being guards out there.

Same applies to IS. They aren't a real threat, an excuse to keep bombing Iraq until there's no opposition to what we want.

Nukes or Democracy?

Everyone knew the info that came from Iraq was questionable but I think it's pathetic at how Congress rolled over and didn't question why Bush wanted to go into Iraq. Cheney's prior history as the Secretary of Defense should have made people question the whole thing, here was a vice president who can get Pentagon info that most Vice Presidents would never have access to, which includes any potentially damaging info from his past.

Bin Laden was in Pakistan. Our allies was harboring the most wanted man. Still no one looking into that other Carrie in Homeland. maybe a few more seasons and Jeb Bush will get the green light.

I'm sure Hilary knew when she became Secretary of State and was biding time, but it was a matter of working it out with the government as far as being able to go in. As of right now - I can see Clinton grooming Kirsten Gillibrand as a potential candidate if she's not going to run. Hilary has a lot of power and influence so her support has a lot of weight to it. She knows how to groom someone and hide the dirt. I think she'd make a huge mistake in trying to run and it would be about ego to be the first female president. Kirsten's kids aren't teenagers yet, so as long as they're not sending controversial selfies or her husband's having affairs, she has a pretty good shot image-wise.

I think more war vets take up positions in Congress because they're not all going to be right wing, they're going to be left, center and right and some will completely oppose sending troops. You also have to look at who funded their campaign though.

They have to somehow secure/stabilise area to get to the oil. Whether it's there or about building a pipeline they need a sympathetic regime there even just for a good deal. If the US don't secure the area, Russia or someone else will like IS. I don't think any prez can let that happen. After all the millions spent Iraq is like CD they need a bailout endgame. The military will want to go back in, the weapons manufacturers everyone wants it. The rich people in the US want it, easier to get hands on oil than work out how to fix economy. So in the end full land and air invasion. Nobody is really going to stop us?