Slash: "Corey Taylors voice too macho for VR"

KeyserSoze

Just reading what Corey said, you can't fault them man for having the paying fan's best interests at heart.

My only reservation was when he mentioned that he'd bring "a good time feel" to the music.

If that means singing about chicks and cars, he can fuck off.

The world does not need another Buckcherry or AC/DC.

That said, i think the band could have repeated what they did starting out with VR; made a song for a movie and if it exploded then look at working with Corey for an album and tour.

I see VR as dead in the water at this stage.

The reason why Contraband was so great was because Slash had spent years beforehand collecting all his best riffs and solos and then found a frontman who could bring these ideas to life. It didn't manage to stretch to a second album, as Libertad was a fairly underwhelming effort, but there was definitely a spark of magic their in the beginning.

Both Slash's self-titled album and Contradband came out after fairly lengthily periods of inactivity and it's no coincidence that these are by far his strongest post GNR albums

Slash seems to come up with his strongest material when a) he has an extended period of time to collect some killer riffs and guitar melodies and b) when he has a singer with some real charisma.

VR needs Scott just as much as Scott needs them, hence why the band has failed to find a suitable replacement all these years later. Unfortunately, I think Slash would rather just coast along with Myles and co rather than try and pick up the pieces with VR and deal with all the baggage that comes with Scott.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

One thing that always stood out to me was a story I read about the song Starlight, where Slash said the basis of the song came from something Scott had rejected in VR. Basically, Myles is happy to use Scott's leftovers. Myles is not a strong enough character to stand up to Slash and say "I don't like this" whereas Scott will only work on something if he sees the merit in it. Even the rest of the bandmates in VR weren't afraid to stand up to Slash.... wasn't the riff to Slither initially rejected by the group and Slash had to fight to keep it in??

Can you imagine any of the Conspirators or Myles doing that in Slash's current band? The band is called Slash feat Myles & The Conspirators.... Myles is the featured artist and the The Conspirators are the backing band. They know their place, just as DJ Ashba or Dizzy Reed know their place in NuGNR. Slash is singularly in charge now and calls all the shots and there is no-one around to say no to him anymore. It's ironic how he has now positioned himself as the dictator of his own band, where the sole focus centres around him, much like someone else we know.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

I can't see Scott singing Starlight really either.

It does sort of support the idea that Slash wanted to do Snakepit as GNR. I think on UYI he did a lot of stuff himself too. But Axl added low talking and sound effects like on Garden of Eden.

Not really sure why Myles is doing Slash solo, most of it doesn't suit his voice. He sounds right in Alter Bridge, they owning shit on Cry of Achilles, he doesn't need to climb on Slash's back and it must be harming his actually career.

Might as well just announce Myles as the new singer now Slash.

There's no way he can do those songs, the shows would be awful. I saw a VR dvd and Scott was strutting around, like frog marching across the stage, looking like Axl meets Bowie. Then you look at Myles. He might put his boot up on the monitor.

One thing that always stood out to me was a story I read about the song Starlight, where Slash said the basis of the song came from something Scott had rejected in VR. Basically, Myles is happy to use Scott's leftovers. Myles is not a strong enough character to stand up to Slash and say "I don't like this" whereas Scott will only work on something if he sees the merit in it. Even the rest of the bandmates in VR weren't afraid to stand up to Slash.... wasn't the riff to Slither initially rejected by the group and Slash had to fight to keep it in??

Can you imagine any of the Conspirators or Myles doing that in Slash's current band? The band is called Slash feat Myles & The Conspirators.... Myles is the featured artist and the The Conspirators are the backing band. They know their place, just as DJ Ashba or Dizzy Reed know their place in NuGNR. Slash is singularly in charge now and calls all the shots and there is no-one around to say no to him anymore. It's ironic how he has now positioned himself as the dictator of his own band, where the sole focus centres around him, much like someone else we know.

I don't think Slash's band are into rejecting stuff outright the way Scott and Axl did. Duff said Scott was looking for more STP-sounding material, so who's the "dictator"? I just think they're open to working with what he's bringing in and more willing to tackle it. It might be filler, it might be a hit, or it might die a quick death because Slash would immediately pick up that if the other band members aren't feeling it, the audience probably isn't going to.

The end goal is even if you write those songs for yourself, the audience is going to either love it or go take a piss and get another drink at the bar. He doesn't have to care if they love it, but then again, yeah he does. You can't force someone to love your music, but I'm sure the people who do the same songs night after night because it's "part of the job" have to roll with it. That can easily kill the enthusiasm for a band you're in.

I don't know if Slash's goal is to try to move away from GNR material, but he's always going to be obligated to do some GNR.

• Like 1

Isn't Corey Taylor that guy that sang that emo song about not bothering because he didn't need to breathe or some shit like that? If so, that was too macho for Slash?

You gotta give him the benefit of the doubt. Like...he knows what his band is supposed to sound like, so logically, he knows what it don't fuckin' supposed to sound like lol. It's not that I really trust Slash to share his real opinion, but all I'm saying is that I agree Corey was not the right guy for VR, and it's possible that him being too macho and missing certain qualities as a singer was the real reason behind Slash rejecting him.

Lets not be naive here, its the Slash name that pays their mortgages. They had a lot less than the giagantic name that is "GUNS N ROSES" to use as the starting point unlike Uncle Axl.

Slash stated that after his problems with Axl, Rod Jackson and then Weiland - he was done with the band dynamic for a while.

He has stated that this current band feels like a real band but we all know that he's put himself at the core of all the real music business stuff. Can't blame the man really.

Find me one other guitar player who has ever done what he has done....his business savvy is outstanding.

Not really sure why Myles is doing Slash solo, most of it doesn't suit his voice. He sounds right in Alter Bridge, they owning shit on Cry of Achilles, he doesn't need to climb on Slash's back and it must be harming his actually career.

I'd hazard one guess...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Isn't Corey Taylor that guy that sang that emo song about not bothering because he didn't need to breathe or some shit like that? If so, that was too macho for Slash?

You gotta give him the benefit of the doubt. Like...he knows what his band is supposed to sound like, so logically, he knows what it don't fuckin' supposed to sound like lol. It's not that I really trust Slash to share his real opinion, but all I'm saying is that I agree Corey was not the right guy for VR, and it's possible that him being too macho and missing certain qualities as a singer was the real reason behind Slash rejecting him.

I'm not sticking up for the guy and saying that he should be in VR because I really don't give a shit who they pick for VR or if they never pick anybody. I'm saying that from my limited exposure to Corey, macho is the last word I would use to describe him. My guess is Slash wants someone to be a yes man like Myles and maybe Corey had a bit too much backbone. I can't see how Slash finds him to be too macho in singing style, that's for sure.

I'm not sticking up for the guy and saying that he should be in VR because I really don't give a shit who they pick for VR or if they never pick anybody. I'm saying that from my limited exposure to Corey, macho is the last word I would use to describe him. My guess is Slash wants someone to be a yes man like Myles and maybe Corey had a bit too much backbone. I can't see how Slash finds him to be too macho in singing style, that's for sure.

Name a singer who you consider to have a "macho" singing style, please. Just curious.

Name a singer who you consider to have a "macho" singing style, please. Just curious.

Pretty much anybody not crying about how they don't need to exist is macho enough for me. Take your pick.
  • Like 1

Easy.

Edited by CheapJon
  • Like 3

Corey loves himself too much. If he was the kead singer it would all be about him. We'd hace bis followers coming to the shows and chanting his name. He will break down in 'proud tears' and to be honest, fuck that.

Just bring scott back.

i'm not Corey's fanboy, but at least he isn't a junkie and he doesn't look like an older gay sex slave... :shrugs:

• Like 1

Corey loves himself too much. If he was the kead singer it would all be about him. We'd hace bis followers coming to the shows and chanting his name. He will break down in 'proud tears' and to be honest, fuck that.

Just bring scott back.

i'm not Corey's fanboy, but at least he isn't a junkie and he doesn't look like an older gay sex slave... :shrugs:

Why bring up Steven Adler like that? Totally uncalled for!

• Like 1

Whats the point of VR? original sounding? shadows and hints of THE great band ? I say throw the bone to a completely unknown singer that can write, perform and entertain . Ive seen umteen amounts of bar bands with great singers backed by shit bands that could have gone somewhere and done something . One of the advantages of that is a singer that more than likely has the ability to morph into different styles . I look at what Journey did with Arnel Pineda and it flat out worked for what they needed to do. He was a 40 something singer in Manila that had been grinding it out for decades . His friends posted a video of him singing a journey song and Niel Schon saw it. He was immediatly offered an audition and the position shortly after. His first show was in Chile before an audience of 70,000. 3 months prior to that he was sleeping on a park bench in the Philipines .... just saying .. that might be the over the top expose that could push a band like VR into the top and stay there.

But the question has to be asked... do Slash and Duff really want that again?