Putting the "fun" back into fundamentalist!

Dazey

Being quite what? Old? Stupidly accented? The people need to know.

Also the problem with theists is they are forced to resort to banging on about being bullied, marginalised and atheists being 'annoying' in lieu of any kind of cohesive response to a reasoned argument debunking their entirely laughable, backwards-thinking, batshit insane, war-causing, world-ruining, brainwashing, joy-of-life sucking, fucking bullshit.

Shout, Shout Shout.

I rest my case.

Simply, do not discuss theism; you end up with far more friends and a better evening all round.

That's good, considering I have never actually discussed religion on parties.

You have though haven't you, tell the truth :lol: It was all going well, you had a few too many, bloke walks in with a cross necklace on, half an hour later it's you and the missus in an empty living room with a bottle of Red, her looking at you, shaking her head goin' 'what a fuckin' plum!' :lol:

I am glad decorum exists at your parties. It is a pity we are not also recipients of it!

Yeah! Damn him for talking about religion in threads about ........... errrr .......... religio.......... Hang on a sec .........

How many of them have we had? i think we need 5,000 more? Why not? I

It is the same bloody thread every time haha.

I am glad decorum exists at your parties. It is a pity we are not also recipients of it!

Yeah! Damn him for talking about religion in threads about ........... errrr .......... religio.......... Hang on a sec .........

How many of them have we had? i think we need 5,000 more? Why not? I

It is the same bloody thread every time haha.

Well fuckin' ginger bollocks won't get a move on and make some music so we've gotta get up someones arse, haven't we? :lol: Might as well be the lords!

Being quite what? Old? Stupidly accented? The people need to know.Also the problem with theists is they are forced to resort to banging on about being bullied, marginalised and atheists being 'annoying' in lieu of any kind of cohesive response to a reasoned argument debunking their entirely laughable, backwards-thinking, batshit insane, war-causing, world-ruining, brainwashing, joy-of-life sucking, fucking bullshit.

Shout, Shout Shout. I rest my case.

No comeback from the theist. I rest mine.

Simply, do not discuss theism; you end up with far more friends and a better evening all round.

That's good, considering I have never actually discussed religion on parties. I have never felt discussions about religion lends itself very well to parties. Seems like YOU have had some bad experiences in that regard, though, but don't take that out on me. I am not responsible for your boring friends and party mates.

It's not so much "decorum" than just having some sense about what topics work in a setting where people want to have fun and enjoy themselves. You kinda want to stay away from topics that are heavy or could cause friction, or at least have the whereabouts to know when it is okay and when it is not. I absolutely abhor people who go on and on about dreary topics without realizing that no one is actually interested but are too polite to say so. Some topics of conversation are simply better left for other contexts than parties. Like discussion boards. At least here people can just don't read if they are not interested, it's not like they are stuck on a coach with a tipsy psychology major who goes on and on about her boring master degree.

That's good, considering I have never actually discussed religion on parties.

You have though haven't you, tell the truth :lol: It was all going well, you had a few too many, bloke walks in with a cross necklace on, half an hour later it's you and the missus in an empty living room with a bottle of Red, her looking at you, shaking her head goin' 'what a fuckin' plum!' :lol:

Hah. No. But I have so many blackouts I can't be 100 % certain, although it would be very much out of character for me to do it.

There is a lot of butthurtedness among theists, I guess it is inevitable that the understanding have-nots will be resentfull towards the others. I would think people who believe in unicorns are also whining about how awful it is to be proven wrong again and again and how smug the a-unicornists are to them.

As for debunking specific religious claims, yeah that can be fun, but it is often better in a sort-of time-saving way to simply debunk godly existence than to bother with arguing over the minutiae of the religions. And godly existence is just riduculously improbable considering that we have no reason to assume any such supernatural creatures could exists in what appears to be a completely naturalistic world, especially considering that no phenomena in this world requires the existence of a supernatural entity for explanation. It is improbable and redundant.

see i personally like reading your posts as they tend to be genuine and you seem like someone who know a lot about most things. Minus when you are being a little arrogant... like in that post. You say the belief in God is ridiculous and make no room for the possibility that one can reach the conclusion that God exists with reasoning and pure reasoning alone. And people who are fond of reasoning will be a little put off with that dismissive attitude. Do you really think that we have got it all figured out, as in figured out all the questions of existence and universe? I was under the impression that we, as a species are trying to figure it out. We are learning the ways of the universe. And that we dont have a fucking clue as to what happened 13.7 billion years ago which resulted in everything we know. i would very much like to know. And if we don't have all the answers then doesnt the possibility of God exists somewhere? i get that to you it's improbable and if i remember correctly you have said something along the lines that a world with God is a more complex proposition than the one without.

But how can you be sure that God can not exist at all?

I don't want a repeat of those god awful god threads but really i am more interested in knowing what you think rather than insulting you for being an atheist.

Edited by Ketan

Do you really think that we have got it all figured out, as in figured out all the questions of existence and universe?

I know we haven't got it all figured out. But whenever we figure something out, and we do this all the time, the explanation has always been completely naturalistic. And when it comes to those questions that we haven't answered yet, there is no indication that any of these require a supernatural explanation, either.

And if we don't have all the answers then doesnt the possibility of God exists somewhere?

Did I say it was impossible? I meant ridicuously improbable. It has everything to do with maximizing the probability parsimony, or Occham's Razor, if you prefer.

Did I say it was impossible? I meant ridicuously improbable. It has everything to do with maximizing the probability parsimony, or Occham's Razor, if you prefer.

Yes but Occam's razor would eliminate all complex theories first and (i think) the theory with the fewest assumptions will considered to be likely true.

But how do you figure God's existence to be more complex than other possibilities? There is only one assumption in play here : we were all created by a being who is beyond the rules which govern us and as such unanalysable.

i mean Isn't that the simplest explanation out there? not saying it is true but only that it is the simplest. And being the simplest most likely as per OR?

Edited by Ketan

Yes but Occam's razor would eliminate all complex theories first and (i think) the theory with the fewest assumptions will considered to be likely true.

But how do you figure God's existence to be more complex than other possibilities? There is only one assumption in play here : we were all created by a being who is beyond the rules which govern us and as such unanalysable.

i mean Isn't that the simplest explanation out there? not saying it is true but only that it is the simplest. And being the simplest most likely as per OR?

But adding a god into the equation, when no god is needed, makes the scenario more complex because a god needs an explanation, too.

So you basically have two possibilities:

A: Everything has a naturalistic explanation.

B: Almost everything has a naturalistic explanation, plus there is god.