Your Taste in Music Can Reveal How Smart (or Dumb) You Are

GivenToFly

http://www.labnol.org/internet/music-taste-linked-to-intelligence/7489/

Virgil Griffith, popularly known for the Wikipedia Scanner that detects where the Wikipedia edits are coming from, maintains another very interesting project that maps musical tastes of college students with their intelligences levels (determined by their SAT score).

The x-axis represent the SAT score while the colored boxes indicate the music genre and the artist / composer.

Music That Makes You Dumb

Fans of Lil Wayne‘s music scored the lowest in SAT while listeners of Beethoven‘s work were among the highest scorers. The full chart is available at Virgil Griffith‘s website (mirror).

To come up with this chart, Virgil used Facebook to determine the “Favorite music” of students in different colleges in the US and then combined their taste with the average SAT scores of students from these colleges. Smart.

The musical taste vs SAT score chart maps the 133 most popular (out of 1,455) favorite music from 1,352 schools. In terms of music genres, it follows like this – Soca < Gospel < Jazz < Hip Hop < Pop < Oldies < Raggae < Alternative < Classical < R&B < Rap < Rock < Country < Classic Rock < Techno in increasing order of SAT scores.

music-makes-you-dumb.png

• Like 1

I think i get the basic premise, if you listen to working class people (particularly negroes) that rhyme words then you're thick...but if you listen to young middle class males that stare at their shoes on stage, read GCSE curriculum literature cuz they think it makes them geniuses and haven't discovered anti-dandruff shampoo then you're probably a genius, some shit like that?

• Like 3

I find this to be ridiculous ...wich in my opinion makes me very smart .A person with intelligence will enjoy all kinds of music ...not just one , i would say as more intelligent you are more interest you will have to know more and more ..so makes sence you are open to more different styles , even for some people personal taste certain song are considered stupid or not . Others can be able of finding something the rest cant see ....

• Like 1

I can't work out the graph...which kinda settles how dumb i am without looking at my album collection :lol:

This. But somehow I don't think it's all that scientific, so I'm not really bothered.

Of course it's not scientific, it's just a fun little experiment. It shows the correlation between how liked an artist is among the students of a US college (via Facebook profiles) and that college's average SAT score. Basically, everything else being equal, you expect a college where more people listen to Radiohead to have a higher SAT average than a college where more people listen to Ludacris.

I can't work out the graph...which kinda settles how dumb i am without looking at my album collection :lol:

This. But somehow I don't think it's all that scientific, so I'm not really bothered.

Of course it's not scientific, it's just a fun little experiment. It shows the correlation between how liked an artist is among the students of a US college (via Facebook profiles) and that college's average SAT score. Basically, everything else being equal, you expect a college where more people listen to Radiohead to have a higher SAT average than a college where more people listen to Ludacris.

Oh do shut up :lol:

With music preference and taste, there aren't any right answers or wrong answers, and I submit that the suggesters of this 'genre equating intelligence' theory may not be as smart as they themselves thought.

I mean, who's to say you're smarter for listening to one type of music and dumber for listening to another?

With music preference and taste, there aren't any right answers or wrong answers, and I submit that the suggesters of this 'genre equating intelligence' theory may not be as smart as they themselves thought.

I mean, who's to say you're smarter for listening to one type of music and dumber for listening to another?

Why people that makes graphs of course! It's the ruler that does it, something about a person with a ruler instill a sort of reverence in me, it's sort of a misshapen phallic symbol of authority OY RECKONS! Probably why teachers chuck em at kids heads when they get on their nerves see, frustration about their...uh, instrument.

I suspect classical would win because there is this whole formal language of music to learn along with the, listening process, quite complex concepts regarding form, consonance and dissonance, polyphony and homophony, et al. You do not see this same language used by fans of classic rock although, the same concepts can be applied - classic rock certainly has the potential to be discussed like classical rock. I can just see it now: ''The way Megadeth cadentially return to the tonic following an intricate development section is devilishly inspiring ole' boy. Mustaine certainly shows he is an inspired contrapuntalist''. Also, the majority of classical music being listened to consists of old dead composers (the Baroque, Classical and Romantic eras are much more popular than modern music, or for that matter, Early Music such as, from the Renaissance and Medieval eras) which brings in itself, a sort of history lesson. You read about GN'R, you read they were 'rockin out on the strip' dealing drugs etc. You read about Beethoven, you read he lived in Vienna at the time of the French Revolution and Napoleon. There is a sort of automatic history lesson one receives, right there.

Snakes...are you like, having a conversation with an invisible poster or something? :lol: Who said anything about right or wrong answers, the premise of the topic is that some music tends to be listened to by thicker people than others, you appear to be answering a question no ones asked. Not trying to be rude, just helpful :)