2001-2002 band was best musicallly live

double talkin jive mfkr

CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT

but this incarnation must go to to toe with appetite era band (we are talking of course about only the music not the singer)?

discuss!

Brain = just as good as adler

bucket = just as good as slash

tommy - holds own

others are just more technical etc

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 2

NOTHING by the 2001-2002 version fo the band is equal to the AFD band. They never had a show as energetic or as organic or as mindblowing as the AFD lineup. They never created anything even remotely as iconic or enjoyable as the AFD band. In 2014 if you put the AFD band together on stage, even with Steven they'd blow the 2001=2002 lineup off the stage. The original post isn't controversial it's just straight up fantasy.

Hey, it's his opinion. Nothing wrong with that. I happen to like the 2000's band better live than the old one, mainly due to Bucket and Tommy, but that doesn't take anything away from the old band.

NOTHING by the 2001-2002 version fo the band is equal to the AFD band. They never had a show as energetic or as organic or as mindblowing as the AFD lineup. They never created anything even remotely as iconic or enjoyable as the AFD band. In 2014 if you put the AFD band together on stage, even with Steven they'd blow the 2001=2002 lineup off the stage. The original post isn't controversial it's just straight up fantasy.

Hey, it's his opinion. Nothing wrong with that. I happen to like the 2000's band better live than the old one, mainly due to Bucket and Tommy, but that doesn't take anything away from the old band.

Hey it's my opinion that suggesting the 2001-2002 lineup was better than the AFD lineup is not only pure fantasy but it's dellusional as well. The 2001-2002 band was a better live band? WTF ever!

It's hard to compare but the AFD line up in a club is hard to beat. The two shows I saw: UYI 91 with Izzy and 2001-2 Bucket were similar. Big opening dropping done into solos and num chicks. With hits. I think Bucket show was better. UYI show Izzys last and it was very weak show really. Perfect Crime was great though. UYI wasn't even out so nobody knew Estranged. The 09 show was also a bit wonky cos it was the first show but they played ITW, TWAT. Basically GNR shows are my Mecca.

I don't think Out Ta get Me with Bucket worked. It sounds too futuristic. That's why I kind of enjoy the current guys its more in keeping with GNR live show. Bucket is cool and the 2002 record could have been very interesting and his stuff on CD is really good.

You can't be serious. Old band is awesome, but it's not even close. Strictly speaking in terms of live musicianship, old guns couldn't even road crew for new guns. (and yes, I saw them both)

• Like 2

Hey it's my opinion that suggesting the 2001-2002 lineup was better than the AFD lineup is not only pure fantasy but it's dellusional as well. The 2001-2002 band was a better live band? WTF ever!

ok num nuts if you noticed in my original post i ask the question i don't actually state it as even my opinion

if you wanted my opinion i'd say that the 01-02 is the best of the nu gnr hands down

i do agree with your other statements but you sound like a bit of a dick

From a pure technical level? Maybe. Are we talking about a sober AFD lineup? Because the classic band mailed in some truly terrible performances back in the day. Saw the 2002 band 5 times and they all played (almost) flawlessly, save for botching Patience in Detroit.

The classic lineup wins hands down on songwriting, vibe, attitude, energy. But in terms of being able to play their instruments, I'd probably have to tip my hat to the 2002 lineup for two reasons: a) the classic lineup were rarely sober enough to play perfectly; b) as much as I love Slash as a guitar player, I'm fairly certain Bucketed wins on a technical basis.

Do I care that the 2002 line might have been a bit better technically? No, because I never care how good a band plays so long as they're playing amazing original music. And in that respect, the classic lineup wins hands down.

• Like 1

From a pure technical level? Maybe. Are we talking about a sober AFD lineup? Because the classic band mailed in some truly terrible performances back in the day. Saw the 2002 band 5 times and they all played (almost) flawlessly, save for botching Patience in Detroit.

The classic lineup wins hands down on songwriting, vibe, attitude, energy. But in terms of being able to play their instruments, I'd probably have to tip my hat to the 2002 lineup for two reasons: a) the classic lineup were rarely sober enough to play perfectly; b) as much as I love Slash as a guitar player, I'm fairly certain Bucketed wins on a technical basis.

Do I care that the 2002 line might have been a bit better technically? No, because I never care how good a band plays so long as they're playing amazing original music. And in that respect, the classic lineup wins hands down.

finally someone eloquently makes sense of the question

were talking solely on musicianship/performances

You can't be serious. Old band is awesome, but it's not even close. Strictly speaking in terms of live musicianship, old guns couldn't even road crew for new guns. (and yes, I saw them both)

Hahaha how fucking stupid. I can't belive people like you even exist. The AFD lineup's worst show is better than Axl's futureistic era GnR's best show. Like seriously we're talking an all time classic band who is one of the very best of all time not being as god live as a bunch of guys covering their music. Seriously it's such an asinine topic. Sure the guys in future GnR are amazing musicians but that does NOT equate to better live performances. The Rotz dvd on it's own kicks the crap outta anything future GnR did live

Edited by Bono

Hahaha how fucking stupid. I can't belive people like you even exist.

Well, that's the archetype of intolerant people speaking. Everyone has his opinion bro, you have no right to say such a tasteless thing.

I've watched and listened bootlegs and lives of all line-ups recently, and you can clearly tell all line-ups have a different flavours.

classic AFD : pure raw power. Fuck-ups were very present, but the magic was there.

UYI line-up : big rock n' roll machine, makes me wanna make a pro-wrestling analogy by saying it was the WCW in his prime : huge talent and huges egos. Could do great things but could not last.

2002 line-up : Incredible musicianship, pure adrenaline and novelty. Everyone was curious to see and hear the strange weird crew Axl assembled and it sounded great.

2006 line-up : my favorite... Brain at his finest, Fortus and Robin "RnR Jesus" Finck. The friendship and comrade-ry in the band was great and there definetely was chemistry. That was my favorite line-up to watch and I miss Brain & Finck so much.

Current line-up : well... that's by far the worst... Ferrer as competent as he is does not have the potential Brain had when it comes to future relases (lol), Ashba is no Finck or Slash, BBF is playing with everyone's nerve and Axl is as lazy as ever... I guess shit is still a flavour, right?

As much as I love the old band, I can't find a live in which they did not fuck up anything. And that's something I expect from my favorite bands. Occasional mistakes can happen, but AFD and even UYI line-ups were very error-prone. Even 2002 line-up used to fuck songs up (YCBM in Rio, gosh that was awful). I've never found errors in a gig enjoyable. It's unprofessional, and as much as I like the band who is playing at that moment, it's something I can't accept as far as I'm concerned.

So yes, the 2001/2002 was better musically speaking than the classic line-up (i'd say on par with the UYI line-up), and there was also some kind of mystic magic attach to this new line-up because nobody knew what was inside the Chinese Democracy album at that point. There was nothing comparable to the AFD line-up because there was no pure raw power and aggressiveness, but there was something else that was (for me) equally enjoyable.

Still, I think the 2006 version of the line-up was absolutely mindblowing. I don't like to compare, give mark or says "this one IS better", but every line-ups has its ups and downs, and 2002 GnR has some great ups and very few downs in my honest opinion.

• Like 2

The only thing I hated musically about the 01/02 band was the stupid electronic synth from Pitman being audible, high in the mix. Needless and rediculous. Made classic songs sound like they had sex with Silkworms. The rest (apart from Tobias) was quite awesome.

?

The 2001-2002 circus band! A fuckin idiot with a KFC bucket on his head, Axl sounding like he's been castrated ? anyone who knew the Guns N Roses of the 90s were rather baffled when this shit appeared on stage lol! Terrible time for GNR.

Edited by Paulywauly
  • Like 1

Topics like this go nowhere as taste is subjective not objective.

Part of what made GNR so special was that their music was the soundtrack to their own life story and while their lives were madness, the music was glorious.

I find it strange that people compare the experience of listening and watching a bunch of 21 year old drunk and high street rats really living the chaotic rock n roll life and playing songs they actually wrote about it against a well oiled, pampered, sober business machine staffed by professional cover musicians in their 40's. Its just fucking dumb and misses the whole point of what a real band is completely.

Edited by Intercourse
  • Like 2

I thought the bucket/Robin version looked like a bunch of circus freaks and really hated the way they played the afd material personally. I hated hearing the solos from that album played at a 1000mph