2001-2002 band was best musicallly live

double talkin jive mfkr

Topics like this go nowhere as taste is subjective not objective.

Part of what made GNR so special was that their music was the soundtrack to their own life story and while their lives were madness, the music was glorious.

I find it strange that people compare the experience of listening and watching a bunch of 21 year old drunk and high street rats really living the chaotic rock n roll life and playing songs they actually wrote about it against a well oiled, pampered, sober business machine staffed by professional cover musicians in their 40's. Its just fucking dumb and misses the whole point of what a real band is completely.

But there was such an eccentric maverick genius to the 2002 line up that you could really enjoy the musicianship/performance even though they were raping the originals.

• Like 1

NOTHING by the 2001-2002 version fo the band is equal to the AFD band. They never had a show as energetic or as organic or as mindblowing as the AFD lineup. They never created anything even remotely as iconic or enjoyable as the AFD band. In 2014 if you put the AFD band together on stage, even with Steven they'd blow the 2001=2002 lineup off the stage. The original post isn't controversial it's just straight up fantasy.

You can't be serious. Old band is awesome, but it's not even close. Strictly speaking in terms of live musicianship, old guns couldn't even road crew for new guns. (and yes, I saw them both)

Hahaha how fucking stupid. I can't belive people like you even exist. The AFD lineup's worst show is better than Axl's futureistic era GnR's best show. Like seriously we're talking an all time classic band who is one of the very best of all time not being as god live as a bunch of guys covering their music. Seriously it's such an asinine topic. Sure the guys in future GnR are amazing musicians but that does NOT equate to better live performances. The Rotz dvd on it's own kicks the crap outta anything future GnR did live
I can't believe murderers, rapists, pedophiles exist or are allowed to. Not a poster on a forum giving his opinion on a topic. Sounds like ur saying cuz he doesn't agree with ur opinion he's stupid and his existence on this planet to u is mind boggling. Or was this all abt the part where he said it being a bit of a dick or ur being a dick? Whatever man. On topic......I liked the way the '02 lineup played some stuff. Other stuff not so much. Didn't like you cld be mine or the drumming. Didn't like patience or the drumming to name a few. Very talented yes. Technically better? I don't know. Maybe. Better? No. Nothing will top a GNR lineup imo with the 5 original guys. Balls, groove, exciting and cohesiveness. One of the greatest lineups of all time. Edited by rose22

Part of what made GNR so special was that their music was the soundtrack to their own life story and while their lives were madness, the music was glorious.

I find it strange that people compare the experience of listening and watching a bunch of 21 year old drunk and high street rats really living the chaotic rock n roll life and playing songs they actually wrote about it against a well oiled, pampered, sober business machine staffed by professional cover musicians in their 40's. Its just fucking dumb and misses the whole point of what a real band is completely.

But there was such an eccentric maverick genius to the 2002 line up that you could really enjoy the musicianship/performance even though they were raping the originals.

true but its a different band completely, don't get how people can compare them.

true but its a different band completely, don't get how people can compare them.

Of course

If you want to compare pure musicianship, the 2002 band was better, but music does not work that way, and a lot more factors than just "musicianship", "technicality" and "accuracy" have to be taken into account to judge how great a band was/is.

2002 was maybe a better band but the group now put on a better show

My favorite NuGnR was 2006 with Brain.

The show was great and Finck was a zillion times better than Ashba.

Axl's voice was also 10 times better than what we have now...

• Like 1

no, not really in the least bit - watching bucket shread the solo on Sweet child was a sacriledge

I think Bucket playing Shacklers, Scraped, Sorry or playing some solos he wrote might be a better comparison. Is Bucket playing Sorry solo as good as Slash playing Don't Cry solo or something. Star Wars theme vs. Godfather theme?

2002 was maybe a better band but the group now put on a better show

My favorite NuGnR was 2006 with Brain.

The show was great and Finck was a zillion times better than Ashba.

Axl's voice was also 10 times better than what we have now...

Agreed that Axl's voice was amazing then, disagree a bit with robin, I found him to be a bit sloppy live, I know dj is too so fuck it, they're both not slash so people will find faults

axl's voice was hit or miss but it didn;t really matter the whole psyche was unbelievable during those times

i saw him in toronto 2002

i dont think his voice was bad

in fact it's probably the best concert i've seen

and i've seen many

bowie 04

waters + gilmour wall 2011

acdc 01 09

etc

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

2002 band with 2010 Axl could have really relaunched the band and put an end to the reunion stuff. Although I don't like Brain's drums. They sound so flat and weak, no matter how good he was technically.

Gn'R could release a bunch of albums and as long as the AFD five are alive a reunion will be wanted by most music fans that don't post on this board.

I only saw the Illusions lineup with Gilby live as far as the real deal goes&if we're talking strictly musicianship then I guess I can see the argument being made for the 2002 band but I think fans want to see a Gn'R show not Dream Theater so who cares if things aren't technically perfect?

• Like 2

2002 band with 2010 Axl could have really relaunched the band and put an end to the reunion stuff. Although I don't like Brain's drums. They sound so flat and weak, no matter how good he was technically.

Gn'R could release a bunch of albums and as long as the AFD five are alive a reunion will be wanted by most music fans that don't post on this board.

I only saw the Illusions lineup with Gilby live as far as the real deal goes&if we're talking strictly musicianship then I guess I can see the argument being made for the 2002 band but I think fans want to see a Gn'R show not Dream Theater so who cares if things aren't technically perfect?

When koc plays with uyi lineup ie Matt, Gilby, duff and slash they are tight as hell

NOTHING by the 2001-2002 version fo the band is equal to the AFD band. They never had a show as energetic or as organic or as mindblowing as the AFD lineup. They never created anything even remotely as iconic or enjoyable as the AFD band. In 2014 if you put the AFD band together on stage, even with Steven they'd blow the 2001=2002 lineup off the stage. The original post isn't controversial it's just straight up fantasy.

You can't be serious. Old band is awesome, but it's not even close. Strictly speaking in terms of live musicianship, old guns couldn't even road crew for new guns. (and yes, I saw them both)

Couldn't even road crew?

I think even Axl is laughing at you if he'd hear this "opinion".

I do not even think that that 2002 band were that, technically, good. I mean Robin would bend his guitar hopelessly out of tune all of the time and for some odd reason, the band always made a complete hash of 'Patience', the easiest Guns N' Roses song to play in the whole discography! Axl was on helium the whole time also.

• Like 1

So it's come to this: stating that a cover band is superior to the actual band.

You know who is a stronger singer than Axl? Celine Dion. GNR should replace Axl with Celine. After all, she's more technically proficient, and that's all that matters, right?

What if you compare the classic band playing his song with the 2002 line-up playing all the ChiDem songs?

because the whole 12 years old "cover-band" point is getting pretty over-used. You can't use this point every time NuGnR is brought up.

CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT

but this incarnation must go to to toe with appetite era band (we are talking of course about only the music not the singer)?

discuss!

Brain = just as good as adler

bucket = just as good as slash

tommy - holds own

others are just more technical etc

Nope.

CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT

but this incarnation must go to to toe with appetite era band (we are talking of course about only the music not the singer)?

discuss!

Brain = just as good as adler

bucket = just as good as slash

tommy - holds own

others are just more technical etc

Nope.

Not even close

• Like 1