Woman Covered in Shit Tattoos Told to Cover Up for Work - Complains!

Dazey

We've had similar discussions on this topic and like, everyone comes off really understanding like but i wonder if it isn't like, some sort of repressed conservatism at work here 'i've got no problem with it but you just ain't gonna get away with that in such and such place' is usually the line wheeled out by the vast majority.

But thats sort of the whole issue isn't it, people say they don't give a fuck, it don't reflect negatively on the person in their book...so the idea is changing society now and taking that step forward, who gives a shit if your bank teller has an inked sleeve? No one apparently so we just invent new ways of objecting, namely, 'well it's the way of the world so if it happens i've no sympathy for ya!', which strikes me as trying to be on both sides of the fence at once.

Furthermore, Dazey is a fat Tory slag :lol:

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 2

I don't like that the girl used the word "prejudice" to describe her ordeal. She wasn't born with tats, she made that decision herself, that is by no means "prejudice" imo. I say that as someone who has tats, so I guess I'm discrimating against my own race, lol. Bottom line, if you want to be a teacher, a lawyer, a doctor, nurse, etc don't get too many or overly visable tattoos. It's really that simple. It's your body, you can do whatever you want, but it's also someone else right to choose to employ you. Using the discrimation card, even slightly like she did, is despicable imo.

Edited by Mike420

1413972747003_wps_18_Despite_removing_he

Has the woman never heard of concealer? :lol:

I dunno, I feel like in this day and age body art shouldn't be an issue but a workplace is within their rights to incorporate body art into their dress code restrictions if they find them inappropriate. My question is, was this made clear to he before she went for the placement, or was she unaware there would be a problem until she started work there? Because really she should have been made aware of any dress code policies before (whether the school sent her information or she asked them) so if she chose to ignore that she can't really blame the school.

I think the discussions prove that you'd better think twice before doing something drastic like having your neck tattooed. Personally, I think it shouldn't matter, but as long as a lot of people think it does matter and find it inappropriate in a workplace, you should know by doing so, you seriously compromise your chances on a job.

The way I see it she's entitled to do whatever she wants to her own body but she also needs to accept that it might limit her career options somewhat. Not saying that's right but any imbecile knows that visible tats can cause you problems in this way. If she genuinely didn't realise that this is how things work then she's probably not that bright and shouldn't be anywhere near a classroom anyway. :lol:

• Like 3

The way I see it she's entitled to do whatever she wants to her own body but she also needs to accept that it might limit her career options somewhat. Not saying that's right but any imbecile knows that visible tats can cause you problems in this way. If she genuinely didn't realise that this is how things work then she's probably not that bright and shouldn't be anywhere near a classroom anyway. :lol:

But thats the whole point, changing those attitudes to bring them in line with the times, these are just old standards that no ones changed up but just looking at the world around you clears up how socially unacceptable tats are these days.

But thats the whole point, changing those attitudes to bring them in line with the times, these are just old standards that no ones changed up but just looking at the world around you clears up how socially unacceptable tats are these days.

Those morals will be great to remember when you have to ask "do you want fries with that burger?" a thousand times a day.

It's all nice and idealistic, but is it really worth being stuck in low-level jobs for the rest of your life?

• Like 1

Those morals will be great to remember when you have to ask "do you want fries with that burger?" a thousand times a day.

It's all nice and idealistic, but is it really worth being stuck in low-level jobs for the rest of your life?

But thats what im getting at Ronnie, this aint some far out idea, this aint nudism in the workplace, its a perfectly natural part of social evolution, in much the way spikey hairdos were once employers anathema...now you got weathermen with em, this isnt something wild and totally idealistic and out of sync with the direction our cultures going in.

• Like 2

I don't understand why a surprisingly number of people are still against tattoos? Unless you have swastikas, swear words or genitals tattooed on your face, palms, neck etc, it shouldn't matter. I don't have any, but I like to look at other peoples' tattoos.

Didn't they see the tattoos when they hired her? Why'd they give her the job. I get that she should be required to cover up tattoos in areas that are normally covered up, but asking her to cover up tattoos that would have been clearly visible at the time of offering her the job seems a bit absurd.

• Like 1

I take issue with the whole "what I do to my body says nothing about who I am as a person so you have no right to judge in any way" argument. Fuck off. Yes, it does say something about you. That's why you did it. You might want everyone to see only the positive things you associate with your "body art" or whatever, but you don't get to make that call for others. Image is not neutral. It signifies. And people will naturally make judgments based on those significations. You can't legislate that away.

And why is it always an issue of the workplace? Let's go at these pierced and tattooed fucks for a second. You're doing nothing but trying to assure the world that you can be a good little wage slave like everyone else. Nice cause. Your legacy? Making subversive and countercultural gestures inoffensive and unthreatening to the status quo. That's not the kind of "progress" I get behind.

• Like 1

Didn't they see the tattoos when they hired her? Why'd they give her the job. I get that she should be required to cover up tattoos in areas that are normally covered up, but asking her to cover up tattoos that would have been clearly visible at the time of offering her the job seems a bit absurd.

It sounds from the article more like it was for a placement as part of her training course, rather than an actual job :shrugs:

When ya look like that, what are your job prospects?

- bartender

- graphic design

- kitchen staff

- stripper

- mechanic?

tattoo artist :P

Vet ;)

You'd be surprised at how many people in the medical profession have a lot of tattoos.