Woman Covered in Shit Tattoos Told to Cover Up for Work - Complains!

Dazey

She isn't being discriminated against, she is allowed to keep the job isn't she? To me having someone cover tattoos is no different than having a dress code at work or requiring someone's hair be combed/brushed.

Also, as was brought up, she is working at one of the most conservative places possible.

That's true and I don't disagree. I have an ankle tat and on my interview for my current job I wore pants instead of a skirt, just in case. My issue though is with their excuse of being "strict Catholic". What does that even mean? To my knowledge there is nothing that says Catholics aren't allowed to have tattoos.

'The Bible warns us against tattoos in Leviticus 19:28 which says, “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord.” '

And I'm pretty sure if you get one and you're Jewish you can't be buried in Jewish cemetery...

Umm?? I was raised Cathloc and I'm pretty sure the Old Testimant is still supposed to be followed. The New Testimant is more important, yes. But the Old Testimant was never reffered to a "Jewish thing" in all my years of church. Christians and Cathlocs are supposed to follow both the Old and New Testimants. I've have never heard anything of the contrary until this thread, so yes tattoos are considered a sin. But you can just go to confession and be forgiven, so its not as strict as the Jewish counterpart.

Umm?? I was raised Cathloc and I'm pretty sure the Old Testimant is still supposed to be followed. The New Testimant is more important, yes. But the Old Testimant was never reffered to a "Jewish thing" in all my years of church. Christians and Cathlocs are supposed to follow both the Old and New Testimants. I've have never heard anything of the contrary until this thread, so yes tattoos are considered a sin. But you can just go to confession and be forgiven, so its not as strict as the Jewish counterpart.

Then how do you explain eating pork and wearing garments made of two materials? They're all prohibited in Leviticus, along with the prohibition on tattoos (and some stuff about sideburns and beards and shaving of heads, not sure if it only applies to priests).

Then how do you explain eating pork and wearing garments made of two materials? They're all prohibited in Leviticus, along with the prohibition on tattoos (and some stuff about sideburns and beards and shaving of heads, not sure if it only applies to priests).

I pick and choose what to follow, lol :P

No Christian is under any obligation to follow any of that stuff. St. Paul spends half his time explaining it.

It is written that Jesus pretty much wiped the slate clean for everyone. That is why Christians can eat pork and what not. Jesus pretty much laid down the law what everyone has to do, but people still clung on to some of the OT.

tattoos dont bother me and i could care less what people do with their bodies to express themselves. at the same time employers do, so it cant really come as a shock if an employer tells you to cover them up(especially a catholic school) and with different substances to help you cover them up i really dont see how this is a big deal, if you want the job cover the tattoos if not find another job that allows you to show off your tattoos and piercings, that simple really.

• Like 1

How am i supposed to know, i'll be fuckin' dead, won't i? :lol: Stick me in the khazi for all i care.

Huh, Wikipedia says Shi'as can get tattoos, but there's no citations and I've never heard if it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_perspectives_on_tattooing

To be fair I come from a very backward community, there's a good chance its a load of bollocks, i certainly haven't read it, just heard it...from all sorts though.

Says it forbidden in Sunni, so its your lot innit, the self flagelators :lol:

Edited by Lennie Godber

To be fair its just meant to be this symbolic thing, it dont say nowhere to give yourself a proper kicking, does it? In much the same way blood of Christ ain't out of the local blood bank.

And they say our lots dont get along eh? *puts his arm around Amir and smiles through gritted teeth*. The Shi'ites, a smashing bunch of lads! :lol:

Seriously though, have you ever encountered any ill feeling in that regard? I haven't at all and i grew up going to school with tons of your lot, some of my best mates.

To be fair its just meant to be this symbolic thing, it dont say nowhere to give yourself a proper kicking, does it? In much the same way blood of Christ ain't out of the local blood bank.

And they say our lots dont get along eh? *puts his arm around Amir and smiles through gritted teeth*. The Shi'ites, a smashing bunch of lads! :lol:

Seriously though, have you ever encountered any ill feeling in that regard? I haven't at all and i grew up going to school with tons of your lot, some of my best mates.

I dunno, when I was in Abu Dhabi some of the Sunni Arabs would kind of joke about it, same way they'd joke about dispute over those shitty little islands that Iran and the UAE argue over in the Persian Gulf. Been an atheist for about a decade now so I regard them all with equal disdain :lol: Shi'ism seems to let you get away with a lot more, though, can see its appeal, especially that "temporary marriage" malarkey ;)

I dunno, when I was in Abu Dhabi some of the Sunni Arabs would kind of joke about it, same way they'd joke about dispute over those shitty little islands that Iran and the UAE argue over in the Persian Gulf. Been an atheist for about a decade now so I regard them all with equal disdain :lol: Shi'ism seems to let you get away with a lot more, though, can see its appeal, especially that "temporary marriage" malarkey ;)

Out of interest, hows your old man get on with the whole atheist thing?

Out of interest, hows your old man get on with the whole atheist thing?

Dunno, I don't really speak to him about religion. I know he likes John Lennon's Imagine, so I don't think he's particularly religious himself. My parents both thought it was weird when I was briefly religious from about 13-15. My mum's probably a bit more sentimental about religion, I imagine if I die before she did she'd want to give me a Muslim burial and everything just to be on the safe side.