The Paris PPV special

WAR41

Hey Marc,

Did you watch the Paris PPV live as it was airing in 1992? If so, where did you watch it, who did you watch it with (and did the band reimburse you for it :D )? If you did not watch it live when did you eventually get to see it?

And I am sure you don't know the answer to this, but do you know if Izzy and/or Steven watched the show live?

Thanks!

This show changed the course of my personal history.

I started guitar trying to play along to Slash. - An older brother of mine bootlegged this on VHS from PPV Sky, it was one of my most treasured possessions as a kid and probably the first GN'R live show I ever got to see, this was before I bought Live in Tokyo 1992 Use Your Illusion parts 1 & 2 on VHS.

Edited by Snake-Pit

I started guitar trying to play along to Slash. - An older brother of mine bootlegged this on VHS from PPV Sky, it was one of my most treasured possessions as a kid and probably the first GN'R live show I ever got to see, this was before I bought Live in Tokyo 1992 Use Your Illusion parts 1 & 2 on VHS.

That is funny, that is a similar story to mine. My brother went over to a friend's house with some other people and they all chipped in to order the show. I was too young to go, but my brother taped it and eventually the tape got in my hands. It was definitely the first 'live' GNR I had seen (I already saw the music videos, heard the CDs, etc.). It was so exciting to finally see them live.

Although I gotta admit, I couldn't stand that drum solo back then and I still can't stand it now hahaha.

i remember vividly watching this show when it first aired prior to the reruns on much music

i was at a family friends place that had PPV- a pool party

and i snuck inside to the basement and watched almost the entire show while everyone else was outisde lol

fucking amazing seeing axl do the intro to double talking jive motherfucker that one stuck out for me from everything else

was 10 or 11 at the time

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

Izzy watched this show live but turned it off at some point. He said it was surreal to see his band with Gilby. I just can't recall where did I read this.

wow what info

this probably was the absolute peak of gnr if not the freddie mercury appearances which happened almost concurrently if im not mistaken

can i ask what's there to reimburse?

Izzy watched this show live but turned it off at some point. He said it was surreal to see his band with Gilby. I just can't recall where did I read this.

wow what info

this probably was the absolute peak of gnr if not the freddie mercury appearances which happened almost concurrently if im not mistaken

I assume that is directed at my question. I was only joking with Marc. At the time I think it cost like $30 in the US on PPV.

That is very interesting that Izzy may have watched some of the show. If he did watch I am sure it was strange to see Gilby up there.

wow what info

I assume that is directed at my question. I was only joking with Marc. At the time I think it cost like $30 in the US on PPV.

That is very interesting that Izzy may have watched some of the show. If he did watch I am sure it was strange to see Gilby up there.

yes dude yes

the fact that you remember izzy watching this is very much an old school finding

his first little back stab for lack of a better word - of GNR turning into a COLOSSAL MACHINE

wow what info

yes dude yes

the fact that you remember izzy watching this is very much an old school finding

his first little back stab for lack of a better word - of GNR turning into a COLOSSAL MACHINE

I've found it.

Rolling Stone 1992

This summer, former Guns N' Roses guitarist Izzy Stradlin finally saw his old band mates in concert for the first time since he left the group - on TV. Like many of his neighbors in Lafayette, Indiana, Stradlin coughed up twenty-five bucks to watch GN' R's live pay-per-view broadcast from Paris on June 6th. Looking back on it now, he's still not sure exactly what he saw.

"It was really bizarre, like an out-of-body experience," he says, a bit hesitantly, over coffee and cigarettes in a high-rise Chicago hotel room. "I didn't really recognize them all together. They had horn players and harmonicas and girl singers. Of course, I was Gilby for the night (a reference to his replacement, guitarist Gilby Clarke). It was weird, you know?"

"I was happy to see that they carried on without me," he continues. "That's all I would hope. Those guys...'" Stradlin's voice trails off, and he gazes out the window, as if hoping to find the rest of the sentence written out for him on the choppy turquoise waters of Lake Michigan.

Actually, Stradlin confesses, he didn't watch the entire Paris broadcast. After it was over, "I put on some tapes of my new stuff," he says. "And it felt good."

http://www.oocities.org/rattlesnake_suitcase/izzyrstone92.htm

wow what info

yes dude yes

I've found it.

Rolling Stone 1992

This summer, former Guns N' Roses guitarist Izzy Stradlin finally saw his old band mates in concert for the first time since he left the group - on TV. Like many of his neighbors in Lafayette, Indiana, Stradlin coughed up twenty-five bucks to watch GN' R's live pay-per-view broadcast from Paris on June 6th. Looking back on it now, he's still not sure exactly what he saw.

"It was really bizarre, like an out-of-body experience," he says, a bit hesitantly, over coffee and cigarettes in a high-rise Chicago hotel room. "I didn't really recognize them all together. They had horn players and harmonicas and girl singers. Of course, I was Gilby for the night (a reference to his replacement, guitarist Gilby Clarke). It was weird, you know?"

"I was happy to see that they carried on without me," he continues. "That's all I would hope. Those guys...'" Stradlin's voice trails off, and he gazes out the window, as if hoping to find the rest of the sentence written out for him on the choppy turquoise waters of Lake Michigan.

Actually, Stradlin confesses, he didn't watch the entire Paris broadcast. After it was over, "I put on some tapes of my new stuff," he says. "And it felt good."

http://www.oocities.org/rattlesnake_suitcase/izzyrstone92.htm

great find

musically and energy wise it's actually a pretty crap show

maybe civil war is the one good hit there

so good for izzy

• 1 month later...

Personaly, I didn't like it when I saw it live. The band wasn't the AFD band anynmore, it was bloated, without chemistry, and felt less genuine. So seeing this show, especially after Izzy leaving and the chaos of UYIs, made me less interested in the band.

I can relate to this.

As soon as I saw the covers to the Illusion albums I knew something was gonna be different. The 'bullet' logo changed & they were brighter than the other albums on the shelves.

Obviously the music had changed to, but it was/is so damn good I couldn't stop listening to them. Bottom line, it doesn't matter what they look like, they sound fuckin awesome and made some of the best hard rock ever.

As for the stage show, my only gripe was with Axls costume changes, (I realise what I said above). I wish he'd stayed with the leather or just stay with whatever he came onstage with (I get why he wore the spandex). Over the years of listening to Guns, that's really the only thing that has ever made me think, what the hell happened man.

They were too big not to expand their stage show. Was it all needed? No, but it's Guns n' Roses.

anyone saying bad things about Paris show or UYI' in general is a cry baby that is downplayingthings because of their own subjective reasons.

UYI's are probably albums with least gaps, in quality terms, compared to number of songs on any album ever.

As far as Paris, you can't compare that show or tour to AFD era in any way what so ever.

During the UYI' s the band was in their prime.

Old members became better and more experienced musicians than during AFD, the band had bigge and more complexed catalogue, Sorum brought in new dimension and finally, compared to AFD, new band rocketing from 0, UYI Gunners were a monster band that pcked up where thy left off pre 1991.

i think up to Farm Aid 1990 or maybe Rio91 there were more building the prime, and after the UYI releases they were more living off the prime.

I see your point. I'd put it a little later though around Izzy leaving. The whole Tracy and Roberty and Teddy Zig Zag etc. Those were the circus years, 1992 included. But I really think they got over that in 1993. The setlists were more interesting and the whole acoustic set thing was nice. To me, that was a nice bounce back from living off their prime.

i think up to Farm Aid 1990 or maybe Rio91 there were more building the prime, and after the UYI releases they were more living off the prime.

I've always thought that the 2 shows in Rio 1991 was the high point. The 2nd night is top 3 on my alltime favorite concerts. Amazing setlists, when they began to do the interludes, like Only Women Bleed into Knockin (2nd night is 1 of the best live versions) or the Godfather into Double Talkin Jive into Jungle!!! Tremendous stuff.

The Illusion tour had alot of great moments, I still have my cassette bootlegs from Giants Stadium, Indianapolis & Paris. But I got to agree with those who thought it was to bloated, it was.

Too much too soon.

I see your point. I'd put it a little later though around Izzy leaving. The whole Tracy and Roberty and Teddy Zig Zag etc. Those were the circus years, 1992 included. But I really think they got over that in 1993. The setlists were more interesting and the whole acoustic set thing was nice. To me, that was a nice bounce back from living off their prime.

yeah, this theory or better, this observation of mine ("up to Farm Aid 1990 or maybe Rio91 there were more building the prime, and after the UYI releases they were more living off the prime"), is more of a time corridor, not an exact date!

though i'd have to agree with 1991 Pre-UYI relase tour (= until 8/31/1991) being really kick-ass, it was becoming more of an Axl show already - also been shown with his dresses. but i did like all his stage diving and rants, his aggressivness in that tour a lot!! but it was some different with Matt and that ass kissing keyboard player on board already. so...maybe around 10/1989 with opening for the Stones and Axl/Izzy even playing with the Stones in 12/1989, they got "too famous" and had trouble handling all the fame and money. living in different houses, more drugs etc. didnt help aswell for the songs quality on UYI compared to Appetite. One of the last straw for Axl's ego probably was meeting Stephanie Seymour and all what became out of it and after their break-up.

so maybe the 01/1990 - 8/1991 era was some step in between the observation!?

[...]

Too much too soon.

that nails it!!

Edited by Lim666

i remember vividly watching this show when it first aired prior to the reruns on much music

i was at a family friends place that had PPV- a pool party

and i snuck inside to the basement and watched almost the entire show while everyone else was outisde lol

fucking amazing seeing axl do the intro to double talking jive motherfucker that one stuck out for me from everything else

was 10 or 11 at the time

What a performance!! The band sounds tight as hell and aside the cry baby rant from Axl, everything sounds perfect!

This was my first concert in VHS.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

I was there. I attended the show and it was a blast. Looking back at it later on on VHS was, well, not the same of course. I was front row and what more can I say. The sound was way better out there. Great show, tight as hell. Loved the part with Aerosmith - phew... Good old days.

• Like 3