Live Bands With Hip Hop

Len Cnut

I think they sound fuckin' awful, what do you think? It doesn't hit as hard, a lot of what makes that stuff solid is that its kinda on point so it kinda lends its to the concept of a flow, this kind quasi-free-form thing, with bands they just sound naff.

Opinions?

Do you mean a band like The Roots or when DMX or someone decides to have a live band?

The DMX type thing.

I think, by and large, it either sounds forced or it comes across as a novelty.

Bands that lend themselves more to the experimental side of things like the Beasties, Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy, A Tribe Called Quest, Arrested Development, etc sound fine with a live band setting.

But the typical MC almost always clashes with the live band and it sounds "clunky"

Old school Stetsasonic are a great old school rap band...

Agreed Sweetness about The Roots. And i see your point about hip hop live but it was never really gonna or even meant to sound that crisp, its meant for out in the park or small clubs where a good audience reaction tends to drown out the detail anyway, with the beat and bass kinda running the show.

• Like 1

Agreed Sweetness about The Roots. And i see your point about hip hop live but it was never really gonna or even meant to sound that crisp, its meant for out in the park or small clubs where a good audience reaction tends to drown out the detail anyway, with the beat and bass kinda running the show.

I also agree about The Roots. They are boring and never do anything new. Same old shit all the time.

LL Cool J Unplugged was the shit though back in the day

I'd like to invite everyone in this thread to listen to some Kyteman. He combines hiphop with live jazz bands and orchestras. Very well. Check out his projects The Hermit Sessions, Kytecrash and The Kyteman Orchestra. The first two are mainly hiphop mixed with jazz, the third hiphop and classical orchestra.

I've seen him live with full orchestra and they just fucking nailed it.

• Like 1

Snoop Dogg played with a band when I saw him a few years back and it was pretty sweet, live hip hop in general though is disappointing.

Saw him open for the Chili Peppers with a live band and they pulled it off pretty good. But Snoop has always been one of the better live rappers so not sure how much of it was the band or just Snoop being Snoop.

Jay-Z Unplugged with The Roots is ok. But even that is missing something.

I normally can't listen to rap with a band. Like sugar ray said, rap just wan't made for a band. It needs that beat and that bass. Hard to pull off. It just isn't the same.

Arrested Development were great, not really pure hip hop though. They would mop the floor with The Roots.