School shooting in Seattle.

AxlisOld

With the evolution of technology, gun laws will no longer be the solution. They have already made a real gun, which fired a real bullet, with a 3-D printer.

So now what?

Ban 3 D printers? Ban technology?

Or get to the root of the problem?

that takes money, time and actual effort along with having to look inward at ourselves. making guns the central focus is easy and less time consuming.

• Like 1

Again, the boy came from a great family. No problems ever in school. The school has many Native America kids that go to school there.

Some other kid said he heard him and another boy fighting over a girl.

I don't understand why so many kids are getting so crazy over a girl or a boy in their teen years and then decide to shoot someone because of it.

There seems to be so many people who are just thinking violence is the way to go when things don't go your way.

Another guy here in Dallas just killed a mom of two infront of her kids because she broke up with him too.

It certainly can't have anything to do with living in a society of fear that idolizes violence through media and politics, and which are unable to take care of its citizens who suffer from mental illnesses (the amount of people in the larger cities of USA who sits at sidewalks and talks and yells at no one in particular is revealing), and who seem to think not only that citizens should own guns, but also that this should be a right by law.

• Like 1

It certainly can't have anything to do with living in a society of fear that idolizes violence through media and politics, and which are unable to take care of its citizens who suffer from mental illnesses (the amount of people in the larger cities of USA who sits at sidewalks and talks and yells at no one in particular is revealing), and who seem to think not only that citizens should own guns, but also that this should be a right by law.

you are painting with a very broad brush. out of 300+ million people you are going to have whackos. the american people do not live in fear, far from it. as for mental health i agree 100%.

you are painting with a very broad brush. out of 300+ million people you are going to have whackos. the american people do not live in fear, far from it. as for mental health i agree 100%.

On the contrary, I would say US citizens very much live in fear (just look at the US domestic debate on ISIS and Ebola recently). I don't mean that they are all afraid all the time, just that they seem to have a very pronounced idea of always being under attack or that the world is more dangerous than it really is. This causes everyday citizen in the US to have a skewed perspective on what is a real risk to his and her life, which propogates a false idea of the value of guns for protection, which gives people who permanently or temporarily suffer from mental problems the tools to commit violence. And the decision to actually commit violent acts is open to them because they life in a society that thrives on violence (through popular culture and media) and which in general seem to think that violence is a fair option to solve problems (just look at US internal politics).

• Like 1

But we don't live in a perfect world, we live in a dangerous world where guns are often the only way to prevent people from being hurt and killed.

Really? Because the gun-related murder figures in every other modern western country seem to disagree with you.

Oh really?

This is relatively recent (2009) ...

article-1196941-05900DF7000005DC-677_468

"The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

Violent crimes aren't the same as gun-crimes, nor does it say anything about fatality figures here.

On the contrary, I would say US citizens very much live in fear (just look at the US domestic debate on ISIS and Ebola recently). I don't mean that they are all afraid all the time, just that they seem to have a very pronounced idea of always being under attack or that the world is more dangerous than it really is. This causes everyday citizen in the US to have a skewed perspective on what is a real risk to his and her life, which propogates a false idea of the value of guns for protection, which gives people who permanently or temporarily suffer from mental problems the tools to commit violence. And the decision to actually commit violent acts is open to them because they life in a society that thrives on violence (through popular culture and media) and which in general seem to think that violence is a fair option to solve problems (just look at US internal politics).

So what you're saying is Americans should let their guard down, not be concerned about the threat from ISIS (which BTW is a threat and concern to many countries, not just the US), not be concerned about the potential spread of Ebola (which BTW has already killed approx 5K globally), make ourselves vulnerable to harm, not possess weapons for self-protection, ban all movies and television and music that even hint at violence, ignore hate speech and other warning signs of potential violence, and never resort to violence to stop or prevent global atrocities.

Nah, we're good.

You can have the toughest gun laws in the world, but it won't prevent evil or the mentally ill from circumventing them.

Case in point: 695254-anders-behring-breivik-norway-kil

Nah, that's not what I am saying at all. I am saying that USA tend to over-exaggerate various threats (the threats of ISIS and Ebola to US citizens being examples of this) and this causes USA to be land of fear. This general state of panic that is propogated by US politicians, the media and the culture help to promote the idea that US citizens should arm themselves which at least partly explains why there are too much guns in US homes. This, combined with a failure in helping people with mental illness, helps to explain why USA repeatedly experience gun violence by people suffering form various psychological problems to a much larger degree than in most lother comparable countries.

And no, my point was not that you would completely eradicate gun violence if your culture were to experience a proper reality check in terms of what is actually a threat to your society, nor would stricter gun laws remove all gun violence -- but this would certainly LOWER the amount of shootings that seem to be take place every week. If you understood this point you would also immediately realize that bringing up Breivik would be irrelevant.

Edited by SoulMonster

It certainly can't have anything to do with living in a society of fear that idolizes violence through media and politics.

Not sure of which country you speak of. Norway, maybe?

Top 10 films in Norway:

(Or better yet, in Norwegian..... :lol: )

http://www.imdb.com/language/no

Dead Snow, Dead Snow 2, Headhunters, cupcakehunter, In Order of Disappearance, Max Manus: Man of WAR.

So 7 of your own country's TOP 10 films absolutely invalidate your own statement.

Just stop being a drama queen already. Your own country begs to differ with your opinion.

Edited by Kasanova King

It certainly can't have anything to do with living in a society of fear that idolizes violence through media and politics.

Top 10 films in Norway:

Dead Snow, Dead Snow 2, Headhunters, cupcakehunter, In Order of Disappearance, Max Manus: Man of WAR.

So 7 of your own country's TOP 10 films absolutely invalidate your own statement.

Just stop being a drama queen already. Your own country begs to differ with your opinion.

What statement of mine is violated by the fact that Norwegians, too, enjoy violent movies?

Top 10 films in Norway:

What statement of mine is violated by the fact that Norwegians, too, enjoy violent movies?

"It certainly can't have anything to do with living in a society of fear that idolizes violence through media and politics."

That one.

The threats from ISIS and Ebola are very real, to not warn the US population of these threats would be unethical and irresponsible ... particularly with Ebola as it's only logical to try and contain it as quickly as possible before it turns into a national epidemic.

If by stricter gun laws you mean keeping them out of the hands of the bad guys and the mentally ill, I'm all for it.

The focus on ISIS and Ebola killing US citizens in USA is absurdly exaggerated by US media. Neither will probably never kill more than a few dozens of US citizens on US soil.

Yeah, keeping guns out of the hands of bad guys and the mentally ill, is exactly what I am thinking about.

Top 10 films in Norway:

"It certainly can't have anything to do with living in a society of fear that idolizes violence through media and politics."

That one.

You kinda forgot the rest of my argument. What you quoted above is just one component whicg alone doesn't necesarrily lead to gun violence.

Top 10 films in Norway:

That one.

Exactly! America isn't the only country that has a kroner ... err, boner for violent movies.

I have absolutely no idea why you reduce my argument to be only about enjoying violent movies when what I talked about was a society steeped in violence through media, culture and politics. No wait, I kidna know exactly why you oversimplify my argument :D It makes it much easier to dismiss.

You kinda forgot the rest of my argument. What you quoted above is just one component whicg alone doesn't necesarrily lead to gun violence.

Of course.

Just like you do in many of your arguments in this forum, I was just pointing out an inherent inaccuracy in your quote. That's all. ;)

Of course.

Just like you do in many of your arguments in this forum, I was just pointing out an inherent inaccuracy in your quote. That's all. ;)

I am sorry to hear I do the same in many of my arguments. I suggest you arrest me on that if and when I actually do it, rather than use it as an excuse to deliberately make the same mistake in latter discussion with me. It is just more constructive that way.

I am not sure I understood the "inherent inaccuracy" in my statement. Or are you again making the mistake of only looking at the first sentence of my argument? Which is similar to looking at the first two words of a sentence and complaining about those not comprising a full sentence.

The focus on ISIS and Ebola killing US citizens in USA is absurdly exaggerated by US media. Neither will probably never kill more than a few dozens of US citizens on US soil.

Yeah, keeping guns out of the hands of bad guys and the mentally ill, is exactly what I am thinking about.

"Probably" ... so nice of you to want Americans to let their guard down and roll the dice that it won't spread into a US epidemic. :lol:

And with an increased number of Islamist extremists murdering or attempting to injure/murder civilians in Canada and the US, who do you think is responsible for it?

Oh yeah .... terrorist groups such as ISIS who are brainwashing the mentally weak into their way of thinking, that's who.

Again, I was talking about how the media, culture, and politics of USA helps to foster a society of fear. To do so I pointed to two current cases: how the media exaggerate the severity of ISIS and ebola in terms of causing deaths in USA. I am NOT saying that USA shouldn't be vigilant about ebola, which you false accuse me of, but I am saying that the amount of media attention that disease has received and the fear this has caused through tabloid presentations of its danger to US citizens, is completely out of proportions when we look at its expected death toll compared to known death tolls for many other diseases. Nor am I saying that ISIS will never succeed with terrorist attacks on US soil, just that that danger is also blown out of proportion (which Republican hilariously stated that they needed to fight ISIS "before they kill us all"?). I am saying that a tabloid media is blowing the dangers of these our of proportion and thus help to create a society of fear among US citizens. Of course I could have used dozens of other examples from recent times, these were just two that immediately came to mind.

I don't mind discussing ebola nor ISIS, but we have separate threads for that. In this context I am poiting to how US media TOGETHER help to create a society of fear which TOGETHER with lax gun laws and a general opinion that violence is okay, and TOGETHER with an inability to treat their mentally ill, may help to explain much of the gun violence in that country.

Edited by SoulMonster

Of course.

I am sorry to hear I do the same in many of my arguments. I suggest you arrest me on that if and when I actually do it, rather than use it as an excuse to deliberately make the same mistake in latter discussion with me. It is just more constructive that way.

I am not sure I understood the "inherent inaccuracy" in my statement. Or are you again making the mistake of only looking at the first sentence of my argument? Which is similar to looking at the first two words of a sentence and complaining about those not comprising a full sentence.

giphy.gif

If you say so.

:lol:

I read in the newspaper today that the boy texted his friends to meet for lunch and then went up to them in the cafeteria and shot them one by one. One of the girls died instantly. The boys were his cousins.

It's scary what is happening today. It seems so many teenagers are trying to solve their problems with guns. It's just shocking that it keeps happening.

I read in the newspaper today that the boy texted his friends to meet for lunch and then went up to them in the cafeteria and shot them one by one. One of the girls died instantly. The boys were his cousins.

It's scary what is happening today. It seems so many teenagers are trying to solve their problems with guns. It's just shocking that it keeps happening.

yeah violence just in general. today two high school football players in alabama got into an argument and one player took out a knife and stabbed the other.

yeah violence just in general. today two high school football players in alabama got into an argument and one player took out a knife and stabbed the other.
BAN ALL KNIVES!!!!!
  • Like 2