How Much Easier Would Axl's Life Have Been if He Went Solo?

How how much money have GNR made Geffen/Universal.

Every cd sold the rec company got 10 dollars.

Guns sold 100 million records. So they generated a billion dollars.

The band share about 10 percent of the profits. The rest distribution.

That's why the label could front 10 mil for CD. Easily off past profits and projected low sales of 4 mil. That's 40 mil for the label. That's why they backed Axl as GNR. All they needed was 1 Nov Rain.

I think with CD they looked at it like possible 3 mil sales that's 30 mil but we have to do promo which would be 10 mil for 3 vids. Screw it Best Buy give us 14 mil and we run. I guess they didn't think it would sell like AcDC?

Right now how bad are cd sales, same?

That's the best anybody has explained. Think GNR were lucky they made money before the internet really went big.

All that time Duff has been fighting back to success I've just been failing hard.

I'm planning CD III. I think I've got CD II all worked out.

I prefer the ones that revel in debauchery. DLR one was good though. The Dirt was a bit BS. The Ratt one is fun and seems pretty honest about their goals.

How how much money have GNR made Geffen/Universal.

Every cd sold the rec company got 10 dollars.

Guns sold 100 million records. So they generated a billion dollars.

The band share about 10 percent of the profits. The rest distribution.

That's why the label could front 10 mil for CD. Easily off past profits and projected low sales of 4 mil. That's 40 mil for the label. That's why they backed Axl as GNR. All they needed was 1 Nov Rain.

I think with CD they looked at it like possible 3 mil sales that's 30 mil but we have to do promo which would be 10 mil for 3 vids. Screw it Best Buy give us 14 mil and we run. I guess they didn't think it would sell like AcDC?

Right now how bad are cd sales, same?

That's the best anybody has explained. Think GNR were lucky they made money before the internet really went big.
All the 90s bands were pretty lucky. Most of them aren't that commercial but they were selling and making videos. And a ton of trim.
  • Like 1

One thing I've always been curious about is why some fans of Axl and the band say that the old band wouldn't have been able to produce more great albums and that in terms of Axl's version of GnR that they'd prefer one great album over several mediocre ones.

Why is that you guys think these amazing talented musicians wouldn't have been able to create more rock masterpieces? That core group created 3.5 of the best rock albums of all time. Why would they lose that magic?

And, if Axl is one of - if not THE - most talented and exciting singers/frontmen of our generation, and we love the album Chinese Democracy --- why is there an assumption that he couldn't create a fantastic album every five years?

Bands still put out great albums today.

Bands used to put out great albums every couple of years. Sometimes an album per year.

Why do some people assume that the extremely talented Axl, Slash and Duff....or Axl........aren't capable of doing that?

• Like 1

One thing I've always been curious about is why some fans of Axl and the band say that the old band wouldn't have been able to produce more great albums and that in terms of Axl's version of GnR that they'd prefer one great album over several mediocre ones.

Why is that you guys think these amazing talented musicians wouldn't have been able to create more rock masterpieces? That core group created 3.5 of the best rock albums of all time. Why would they lose that magic?

And, if Axl is one of - if not THE - most talented and exciting singers/frontmen of our generation, and we love the album Chinese Democracy --- why is there an assumption that he couldn't create a fantastic album every five years?

Bands still put out great albums today.

Bands used to put out great albums every couple of years. Sometimes an album per year.

Why do some people assume that the extremely talented Axl, Slash and Duff....or Axl........aren't capable of doing that?

These people are lying, mostly to themselves.

• Like 1

One thing I've always been curious about is why some fans of Axl and the band say that the old band wouldn't have been able to produce more great albums and that in terms of Axl's version of GnR that they'd prefer one great album over several mediocre ones. Why is that you guys think these amazing talented musicians wouldn't have been able to create more rock masterpieces? That core group created 3.5 of the best rock albums of all time. Why would they lose that magic? And, if Axl is one of - if not THE - most talented and exciting singers/frontmen of our generation, and we love the album Chinese Democracy --- why is there an assumption that he couldn't create a fantastic album every five years? Bands still put out great albums today.Bands used to put out great albums every couple of years. Sometimes an album per year. Why do some people assume that the extremely talented Axl, Slash and Duff....or Axl........aren't capable of doing that?

These people are lying, mostly to themselves.

Or Slash and Duff haven't done anything great since 1991. Some would argue the same of Axl.

yes, the only problem with Axl rose and his band is that it is called GNR... sure CD is a very good album with great songs. But you cant accept it like a real gnr album... the guitar interplay Slash/Izzy, the "rock n roll" feeling is lacking... what it incredible is that you got 6 guitarists on CD but for what? The guitar playing is not of the quality of AFD or UYI...

Sure, there are some great solo parts from Buckehead or Robin Finck... but Slash is one part of the GNR soul... and even he is not the most skilled guitarist of all technically, he has something rare : a style, a sound and a feeling, which is everything.

So Axl would have a better life if he hadn't keep the name of GNR. Because old school fans like me wouldn't complain all the time about it :lol: !!

I'd probably have more tolerance for CD if he'd released it as a solo album, and if he'd released it in the late 90s. I would have thought, ok, he got that out of his system. And then maybe he could have tried to make decent music after that. Instead he helped build this folklore about CD as his magnum opus or some shit, which it definitely is not. It's a shit album, with some OK moments, and 1-2 decent songs, and maybe 1 good song. It's acceptable as a first solo album among many. It's unacceptable as the "return or GNR" or whatever.

• Like 1

CD's still an Axl solo album, whether he calls it Gn'R or not... As a musician he'd be very much respected by the fans and be given some slack by the press too.

An eventual Gn'R reunion would also be a lot more likely than it's now with this nuGn'R thing going on. Oh well...

Axl could have been much more savvy and had it all.

Start a solo career and pick you musicians without legal or fan issues.

Make the music you like on your terms.

Release it. Tour it. Reap the rewards & profits.

Go back to GNR, be a team player and bring out a sonically more modern blues rock album and strike new ground.

Release it. Tour it. Reap your share of the huge rewards & profits.

Repeat the cycle endlessly, raking in the vast sums of money and the devotion and support of millions.

Fucking WIN WIN.

Thom Yorke of Radiohead has been doing it this way for years and is living proof that Axl make a fucking balls of this.

Axl seemed to be saying without the name nothing significant. Maybe he did need that studio money to do something he wanted. Doing another hard rock record was that interesting to him maybe?

So you fight your whole life to get to a certain point and then you end up just doing a shitty solo album.

Then the GNR are thing wasn't happening because by all accounts Slash just didn't want to compromise anymore. and he recently said he finally reached a point where he's doing what he always wanted, instead of fight against what others wanted.

So the idyllic situation didn't seem to exist. Even UYI seemed to be a fight, they don't all want to do Nov Rain, didn't like some of Axl's voice over work etc. But that would be great in theory.

So I don't know, I haven't found a way.