Leonard Cohen - Popular Problems (2014)

GivenToFly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1N7RuMsvqE

Listened to this earlier after searching for 'leonard cohen full album'. I had never heard a Leonard Cohen album before. Very nice. A cross between late Bob Dylan and Nick Cave with a dash of Tom Waits A cross between Tom Waits and Nick Cave with a dash of late Bob Dylan. (edited on further listening)

Edited by GivenToFly

I've heard the full album 8-10 times by now and everytime I'm liking it more. The lyrical work is, as always, from another world, but with the distinctive feature that is suggested by the title of the album.

Still, I don't think it gets to be on my top 5 Leonard Cohen albums list. Maybe it will someday, it's definitely an amazing album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1N7RuMsvqE

Listened to this earlier after searching for 'leonard cohen full album'. I had never heard a Leonard Cohen album before. Very nice. A cross between late Bob Dylan and Nick Cave with a dash of Tom Waits.

It's another great album by a great artist. Basically, everything BreakDown2014 just said. I prefer his previous album, Old Ideas, to this one. But not by much.

GTF, Do yourself a huge favour and listen to Live In London. Or watch it on DVD.

I personally think it's a great reflection his work and imo most songs are performed way better than the studio versions. It's really worth it.

And yes, the man is above and beyond almost any artist releasing music today lyrically.

The live versions are better than some of the studio versions but I would definitely go through the catalog, even if some of the synths sound dated on the 80s albums.

Definitely. I think The Future and I'm Your Man are some of the best albums he's made, but the synth sound is a bit dated. The 2008+ live versions of those songs are absolutely stellar though. They sound as fresh as ever and really show the power of the songs.

Tunes like Everybody Knows, Take This Waltz, I'm Your Man, First We Take Manhattan, Tower Of Song, The Future, Democracy, Ain't No Cure For Love, Closing Time and Anthem sound better than ever on his past few tours.

I listened to Old Ideas (2012) and it's far weaker than Popular Problems.

I don't share this opinion, but I like that you have it. Shows the strength of his albums. To me they're close. Still though, try Live In London. ;)

I went to one of the 2009 shows and it was around 3 hours. I don't think it was much different from what's on Live at London. I think I waited to pick it up because it came out right around the concert,but had good seats and sounded great live and for all anyone knew, was going to be his only tour.

I went to one of the 2009 shows and it was around 3 hours. I don't think it was much different from what's on Live at London. I think I waited to pick it up because it came out right around the concert,but had good seats and sounded great live and for all anyone knew, was going to be his only tour.

I'm still bummed about not attending that tour! I'd just started to get into him (thanks for that old mygnr member nameless_girl) and I was really short on cash. I saw him in 2012 and 2013 though, both during the Old Ideas tour. Slightly different arrangements than London mostly due to switching electric and acoustic wind instruments (Dino Soldo) to a violinist. Didn't matter though, both gigs were absolutely sublime. Both ran for about 3,5 hours. Not bad for a man in his late 70's! ;)

• Like 1