American Culture

Snake-Pit

The fuckin' artists, the minds, the poets, great writers to come out of America...and all you can think of in a cultural discussion about America is Coca Cola, Starbucks and a pair of German trainers :lol:

There ain't no fuckin' culture in this world no more.

I think it's anathema to use the term 'culture' in conjunction with Coca Cola, Starbucks and any brand of trainers. :lol:

So let's talk Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Jackson Pollock, Lee Krasner, Andy Warhol, Mark Rothko, Edward Hopper, John Singer Sargent, Willem de Kooning, Man Ray, Frank Stella, Frank Lloyd Wright..........where does it start........where does it end?

I wonder if we should add Axl Rose to the list of great American minds, Einstein too died an American. - If we're talking culture. :lol:

Like the shouts from Hemingway, Twain to Poe I see still.

* Add the Wright brothers too!

NASA!

BANA NANA NANA NANA / BANA NANA NANA NANA / BANA NANA NANA NANA!

NASA!

AND MY

ROCKET FUEL

THAT IS YOU

MY ROCKET FUEL!

FEEL THE THRILL

NASA!

NASCAR!

JAGUAR

N - F - L

My punk song -_- I wrote it just now.

Edited by Snake-Pit

I wonder if I'm going to have an NFL team?

No, srsly.

I do wonder that.

I do not really understand how there can be support of an American football match, with two teams, from, America. Domestic sports, whether it be football or county cricket or Rugby, derive their support from local communities and local loyalties. How can there be any sort of genuine support for either of these American based team, when the game is being played in Londontown? And yes, I do realise this sort of nonsense goes on with Premiership Football also, Manchester United playing in China or god know's where for cash.

When I say get a team, I mean, the Jacksonville Jaguars could be moving to London and have a name change and become a London based team that'll play in the NFL.

Yes, they do that in yankee sports, don't they? Just move a team to another location! The good thing about English domestic sport is, the teams are embedded in the localities. You could not take Manchester United and relocate it to London and call it London United. It just would not work.

They do that in UK sports still.

Wimbledon FC shared with Crystal Palace FC at Selhurst Park (my local/just around the corner) and then they moved to Milton Keynes and became The M K Dons.

And they are still the most hated team in football because of it, but I guess it is symptomatic of modern football's desire for instant success. Why support lowly MK City and help them get into to the league the right way, when we can just steal somebody else's team?

There's American Football teams in UK cities. Even some university teams. It's weird but leagues exist. So I guess this is the grass roots fans for this game.

I know the captain of the GB women's team. I know next to nothing about the sport though, it is not a sport that has ever appealed to me, I prefer the rugby.

Why not?

Rebuild that ghost of a stadium a.k.a Plough Lane?

Bring Wimbledon home again (because Plough Lane was just... - No wonder they moved to Selhurst Park -) and have them play at home, in a nice new shiny home.

Bring the Wombles home... and call them Wimbledon FC again.

:lol:

Now that'll be cool.

I'd get behind that. :lol:

America to a limey,

- Brown paper grocery bags with no handles. Handles on plastic grocery bags were clearly considered, something as belonging to George III basically and thus thrown into the dustbin of history by Americans. No patriotic American worth his salt would think of carrying bags by handles.

- Being able to drive when you are two years old, yet not being allowed to buy a beer until you are 70.

- A deep understanding of pharmaceuticals. Every American I have ever come across seems to be possessed with an innate knowledge of prescription drugs, right down to all the technical names, e.g. fluoxetine. It is terribly impressive.

- Newspaper boys who fling the papers across the lawn like missiles without even slowing down (let alone dismounting). Clearly the letter box was associated with George III and thus, thrown into the dustbin of history.
- weird sweets, or 'candy' as they call it over there, such as 'twinkies' (made known to most Brits via Ghostbusters). Weird breakfast cereals also, about six million different brands, all disgustingly sugary!

- Terrible beer (so it is probably good that you have to wait a long time to buy the stuff!), served in tiny little cans.

- massive cars such as Cadillac, admittedly somewhat glamorised through rock n' roll. You could not even fit these on an European road as they are monsters.

- Eateries such as Wendys and Taco Ball which sound somewhat enticing based on the simple fact that, we do not have them basically yet always we hear Americans on films go, ''yeh dude, I'm going to Wendys''. There is no doubt they will be as equally disgusting as Macdonalds and KFC.

- Shitty sports which nobody watches here. Sport teams with names like, Californian Beavers. Where is your 'California United'?

- Proms. Prom Queen. Every American has a prom, gets a tux, hires a limo.

- Gun obsession. Americans also have a lot of knowledge about guns. Even the ones who want to ban them know their 44s from their Magnums. Brits simply know fuck all about firearms.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

America to a limey,

- Brown paper grocery bags with no handles. Handles on plastic grocery bags were clearly considered, something as belonging to George III basically and thus thrown into the dustbin of history by Americans. No patriotic American worth his salt would think of carrying bags by handles.

- Being able to drive when you are two years old, yet not being allowed to buy a beer until you are 70.

- A deep understanding of pharmaceuticals. Every American I have ever come across seems to be possessed with an innate knowledge of prescription drugs, right down to all the technical names, e.g. fluoxetine. It is terribly impressive.

- Newspaper boys who fling the papers across the lawn like missiles without even slowing down (let alone dismounting). Clearly the letter box was associated with George III and thus, thrown into the dustbin of history.

- weird sweets, or 'candy' as they call it over there, such as 'twinkies' (made known to most Brits via Ghostbusters). Weird breakfast cereals also, about six million different brands, all disgustingly sugary!

- Terrible beer (so it is probably good that you have to wait a long time to buy the stuff!), served in tiny little cans.

- massive cars such as Cadillac, admittedly somewhat glamorised through rock n' roll. You could not even fit these on an European road as they are monsters.

- Eateries such as Wendys and Taco Ball which sound somewhat enticing based on the simple fact that, we do not have them basically yet always we hear Americans on films go, ''yeh dude, I'm going to Wendys''. There is no doubt they will be as equally disgusting as Macdonalds and KFC.

- Shitty sports which nobody watches here. Sport teams with names like, Californian Beavers. Where is your 'California United'?

- Proms. Prom Queen. Every American has a prom, gets a tux, hires a limo.

- Gun obsession. Americans also have a lot of knowledge about guns. Even the ones who want to ban them know their 44s from their Magnums. Brits simply know fuck all about firearms.

Damn.