Norway is the best country in the world.

SoulMonster

My comments were purely tongue-in-cheek but in all seriousness, how do the Scandinavian nations (including Finland and Iceland) regard each other? Is there a sort of "brotherly love" or is there a large amount of disdain? Or a combination of the two?

I would say it is mostly brotherly love, at least between Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Not Finmark, those guys are assholes. And then we banter a bit.

• Like 1

I forgot to provide the DieselDaisy edition of my answer on the differences between the nordic countries. That is, of course, variations in level of smugness. By this metrics Norway rules, too. I am not saying Sweden and Denmark aren't smug, just that can't be as advanced in this field as Norwegians. And why should they? They don't rank as the greatest country in the world.

As for Iceland, I don't think they care much about smugness and other sophisticated aspects of the expression of human intellectuality. They are more busy improving their rape and pillage skills than bothering about such things as how they come across in discussions. And I have yet to meet a Fin sober enough for not the drunkneness completely obscuring any subtle signs of humanity.

I forgot to provide the DieselDaisy edition of my answer on the differences between the nordic countries. That is, of course, variations in level of smugness. By this metrics Norway rules, too. I am not saying Sweden and Denmark aren't smug, just that can't be as advanced in this field as Norwegians. And why should they? They don't rank as the greatest country in the world.

As for Iceland, I don't think they care much about smugness and other sophisticated aspects of the expression of human intellectuality. They are more busy improving their rape and pillage skills than bothering about such things as how they come across in discussions. And I have yet to meet a Fin sober enough for not the drunkneness completely obscuring any subtle signs of humanity.

:lol:

So the real question is....who is more smug....the French or the Norwegians?

So the real question is....who is more smug....the French or the Norwegians?

That's a good question. I think Norwegians in general acknowledge the cultural superiority of France and its foundation for their peculiar smugness, and that they would, if they had the capacity, acknowledge Norwegians' superior intellectual strength as basis for our particular smugness.

How are the employment opportunities in a place like Norway for someone who didn't attend college vs. someone who did?

One problem with having a population that is highly educated is that we have to import people to do our "non-academic jobs", resulting in an influx of Swedes and Poles, in particular, who come to work as waiters, carpenters, in renovation, plumbers, builders, etc. So I think that opportunity is good.

Yeah, Norway is the by far richest country of the Nordic countries due to their oil. They have always been behind Sweden and Denmark politically, culturally and economically throughout history before that though. Funnily enough the most famous painter and composer from Scandinavia are both from Norway however, but other than that they were always behind on those things since they were ruled by Denmark for many hundreds of years and then by Sweden for a century before they got free about a hundred years ago. Sweden and Denmark have a history with many wars, but we haven't been at war with each other for centuries now and while we make jokes about both Norwegians and Danish people it's all tongue in cheek and they do the same about us. Lots of Swedes has moved to Norway last twenty years to work and have almost become an underclass there that will take shit jobs nobody else takes. They're also stealing lots of our nurses and doctors. Their salaries are too high to match.

Yeah, Norway is the by far richest country of the Nordic countries due to their oil. They have always been behind Sweden and Denmark politically, culturally and economically throughout history before that though. Funnily enough the most famous painter and composer from Scandinavia are both from Norway however, but other than that they were always behind on those things since they were ruled by Denmark for many hundreds of years and then by Sweden for a century before they got free about a hundred years ago. Sweden and Denmark have a history with many wars, but we haven't been at war with each other for centuries now and while we make jokes about both Norwegians and Danish people it's all tongue in cheek and they do the same about us. Lots of Swedes has moved to Norway last twenty years to work and have almost become an underclass there that will take shit jobs nobody else takes. They're also stealing lots of our nurses and doctors. Their salaries are too high to match.

990123eb55c36012403a623446dc113015f1f7f2

:P

No shitstorm is coming, I don't think any Norwegian would deny that Norway's significance the last 700 years before the 1900's were pretty low. Sweden and Denmark were the ones fighting wars, winning lands and had important scientists and even had leading kings in the Thirty Years War that were the leaders of all other Protestant countries against the Catholics.

No shitstorm is coming, I don't think any Norwegian would deny that Norway's significance the last 700 years before the 1900's were pretty low. Sweden and Denmark were the ones fighting wars, winning lands and had important scientists and even had leading kings in the Thirty Years War that were the leaders of all other Protestant countries against the Catholics.

So basically, the only reason Norway is what it is today is thanks to Oil, Sweden and Denmark.

Uh-oh-dexter-9352138-275-155.gif

Edited by Kasanova King

Nah, that's not what I said, but Norway didn't have any Norwegian leaders for a long time, much of the wealth they made were moved to Denmark for many hundreds of years and the Danish kings didn't exactly prioritise the Norwegian population. Unlike Sweden and Denmark they barely had any nobility either, outside of Danish ones who had gotten lands in Norway. Almost all of their population was just poor farmers or fishermen, culture or education weren't high on their list of priorities. If anything, they'd have prospered better if Sweden and mostly Denmark wouldn't have occupied Norway for so long they'd have done better.

So basically, the only reason Norway is what it is today is thanks to Oil, Sweden and Denmark.

Uh-oh-dexter-9352138-275-155.gif

And atheism.

Finland sounds like my favourite of the bunch.

Finland is cool in their pseudo-Russian way. I like Fins. Hey, I like Swedes, Danes and Icelanders, too. Especially Icelanders.

I have new neighbours either side of my holiday home that are Norwegian. They are older than me but seem friendly enough if a little distant.

I'm wondering what is the best way to get to know them better, I'm thinking the typical Irish thing of having a few drinks. Norwegians like their booze right?

Is Grieg a revered figure in Norway today?

I would say yes. Not that most of us are very much into classical music and actually listen to his works on a regular basis, but more in the sense of an acute awareness that he is admired abroad and that we ought to be proud of his accomplishments.

Just talk to them and if that doesn't help invite them to a party. We often come across as a bit aloof and reserved at first but tend to open up well enough when drinking and after we know you.

Whats the most popular beer/spirit in Norway?

We are fully committed to the craft beer hysteria. Whisky seem to be popular among the younger people while cognac is popular among the older.

• Like 1

He is one of those composers (you see this with certain rock bands also) where he is sort of, pinned, to a specific work by the general masses which is no where near his best work. Most people know of him as the composer of the 'Hall of the Mountain King' from Ibsen's Peer Gynt. Probably his Piano Concerto is his masterpiece, one of the finest examples of the Piano Concerti genre.

Is Grieg a revered figure in Norway today?

I would say yes. Not that most of us are very much into classical music and actually listen to his works on a regular basis, but more in the sense of an acute awareness that he is admired abroad and that we ought to be proud of his accomplishments.

Just talk to them and if that doesn't help invite them to a party. We often come across as a bit aloof and reserved at first but tend to open up well enough when drinking and after we know you.

Whats the most popular beer/spirit in Norway?

We are fully committed to the craft beer hysteria. Whisky seem to be popular among the younger people while cognac is popular among the older.

My kind of people :lol:

Munch was interesting and influential. His work is not really my cup of tea but it is highly expressionistic and symbolic and, a bit disturbing. He has, posthumously, a bit of a problem with his work always being stolen though haha. The Scream is the famous one but his Madonna is also an important painting,

640px-Edvard_Munch_-_Madonna_-_Google_Ar