Unlistenable UYI songs

Charlie Underbite

I'm shocked how many people don't like so many songs on Use Your Illusion. I guess its cause its different than Appetite. There are a lot more layers to them, production-wise and in the songwriting and arrangement. I just find it so odd because with time the Illusions have gotten SO much better to me. I always liked them, but there truly aren't many double records, two 75 minute records, that I can so easily listen to repeatedly.

The only truly unlistenable song to me is My World. I used to say Garden Of Eden too, but even that in a weird way has grown on me. Obviously everyone has their own opinions, but I can't fathom not like Right Next Door To Hell. Its one of my favorite GNR songs. So Fine, Bad Apples, Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues. All songs that are consistently ranked as the worst that, admittedly are down the list of GNR's best songs, but are songs that I like so much about. Either there's a line or a riff or a great moment in all of those songs to me.

I don't mean to derail the thread. I'm just always very fascinated when major GNR fans talk about what they don't like about this album. I guess it speaks to the rest of their catalogue, or Appetite, that despite not liking stuff from these records you still like GNR enough to be here.

I'm shocked how many people don't like so many songs on Use Your Illusion. I guess its cause its different than Appetite. There are a lot more layers to them, production-wise and in the songwriting and arrangement.

No, they're just bad. The good songs are among GNR's best, but some of the shit on there is complete filler trash.

Edited by bacardimayne

The ones I skip are:

Shotgun Blues

14 Years ( I know, I know, I just hate it)

Dead Horse

Coma (all over the place)

You Aint the First

Get in the Ring

Garden of Eden

Right Next Door to Hell

My World

I like Coma but I find it way to long...

That's just my opinion, but it lacks the progressiveness that a 10 minutes long song should have.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't think ANY GNR song is unlistenable, but I can understand why others hate some songs.

My least favourite is definitely My World, though. But even then I can find some redeeming qualities that I like. I literally just a few months ago heard the bong "sound effects" near the end of the song for the first time. When Axl is saying "guess what I'm doin' now" while he exhales is a big "fuck you" to the authorities and the establishment. I kinda respect that.

• Like 1