Get in the Ring - The song

I think that Get in the Ring would be an excelent song if the lyrics where different. The music and, especially, the intro riff is great.

It´s has power, energy like.. YCBM (?).. but was a waste song...

What do you think guys?

Sorry for my english.

• Like 1

I think its one of those songs, lyrically, where u had to be there in that glimpse of time. U hear it now, and u hear the names he rattles off, and its like who is he talking about. So its definitely dated in that sense. But at that time it was relevant.

People will say its lame or childish now. But it was Axl/GNR tellin people to go fuck themselves, which in one way or another, thats what they always did.

• Like 2

Have always loved the song and it was one of the earliest tracks from GN'R that I heard which sealed them for life to me. My sister had the Illusions and at my young age of like, 10, she made me listen to it for how much hilarious profanity was in it. GITR is 10/10 to me. So ballsy and ruthless. One of my fav GN'R songs ever.

I love the Axl rant and it was like a new Live like a Suicide song.

I recollect in English class we had to read a poem out in class as part of the exam and recited Axls rant in a poetic tone. It was mainly because I knew the words backwards and hasn't found a real poem to read out. They failed me. So I had to re-do it.

• Like 1

The song itself is cool, but the lyrics ruined it.

Great riffs, stupid lyrics and poor song structure.

They should have hired an external songwriter to turn this into a real single-potential song.

When I was 14yo it was one of my favorite, then I understood the lyrics as I learned english at school... I quickly liked it a lot less.

I love the song and part of the lyrics, but not when he rants against the press because that's stupid and he's this big now because of the press.

I think he could have been singing this song throughout the years changing the name of the people on it.... for example, in the early 2000's he could have used it to rant against Slash, Xozi and Renato :rofl-lol:

"...'cause your dad gets more pussy than you, fuck you!" Very stupid lyrics.

I liked the "Guns N' Roses" chant at the beginning and the "Get in the Ring" chant at the end, also Slash thanking the fans at the end.

What's funny is in the Five Finger Death Punch topic people are bashing them for their cheesy lyrics.

But here we are celebrating Get In The Ring???

Funny stuff.

Just some quotes:

Axl: And Duff’s brought in one song - Duff said it all in one song- it’s called ‘Why do you look at me when you hate me?’ and it’s just bad-assed [stick To Your Guns by Mick Wall; Kerrang, 21st and 28th of April 1990]

Duff: Talking about working on songs in Chicago without Axl and Izzy: We did get some work done. We finished 'Civil War' and wrote 'Get In The Ring' and 'Pretty Tied Up,' to name a few [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 151]

Axl: 'Get In The Ring' was a song that was… basically put together by Slash and Duff, and I came up with the low vocal part. And Slash and I wrote that part together. We wrote different verses. And we wrote a whole song that when the whole band actually had the song together, the words didn't fit the arrangement of the song. And so, we were in Toronto, playing a show in Toronto. And we had one last song to finish recording, that was 'Get In The Ring'. So, we went in the studio and just kind of started putting things together. And then Duff decided that I should express my feelings about how we've been treated by the press, because that was his initial concept for the song, and that I should just go for it. And I was kind of like: "Are you sure? You sure I should do this?". And then Tom Zutaut, of Geffen, was there and he was like: "Go for it." So I got behind the mike and went for it. And everybody was really happy and we just decided to do it. And this naming names, and things like that, were because most bands can't afford to express how they feel about how they're treated in the press, because they need the press so much. And I know that this could hurt us, but we're in a position where I think we owe it to ourselves, and we owe it to an element of the public...[GN'R on WNEW 102.7 - September, 1991]

Izzy: Axl's real critical of himself, and his anger seems to propel him in a lot of ways. That song 'Get I The Ring', I really love a lot of the lyrics just cos they're really aggressive. Axl played guitar on that track as well, that was the first time I saw him play electric guitar, and he did pretty well. I was digging it cos it was a god punk energy. But with all the names at the end I was thinking, shit! I wouldn't have slagged people off on my record [Kerrang!, September 1992]

Duff: You know what, I wrote part of that song. The title was "Why do you look at me when you hate me", and it was about the press writing shit about us. Well, why do you write about us if you actually hate us? I could give you the names of those that hated us. Why didn't the press hire another people to write about us, instead of bashing us? Why did they have to write about us? I was very idealistic and I thought the world had changed. You need a lot of negative energy within to write so much about someone you actually hate. [...] Then Axl took it very personal. He thought it a good idea. But definitely, if there's some filthy people that need to be treated like filth, who cares? Fuck 'em! [Popular 1, July 2000]

Duff: I just hated some of the music critics, the ones which were uninformed. When they just listened to classical music and didn't know about rock and then they criticised it. So I wrote a song, you know that ‘Get In The Ring’ song. For me, I’ve never been a pop single writer, you know about a boy and a girl that meet up and then suck dick, I’m not like that, I’m just able to write songs so that I can exorcise immediately. I just write songs as my therapy [Clash Music, November 2009]

Axl: That was not my idea, you know, that was Tom Zutaut and Duff McKagan's idea. Because there was this blank space in the song, and I was 'We've gotta do something,' and they were like 'Why don't you just go in and go off on Andy Secher and Bob Guccione Jr?' and 'Sure, yeah, yeah' and eventually I did and everybody was happy with it. But when it hit the fan everybody disappeared. And I was naive and didn't realize the political wars going on between the different publicists at the record labels and their relationships with The Rolling Stone and Spin, and whatever, so I was set up but no one stepped forward to say anything [TMS with Eddie Trunk, November 2011]

Who you gonna believe?

Love this song!

I think Axl should update his rant to cursing out people who upset him today. I think Axl would have plenty of enemies to include in the new version of "Get in the Ring" 2015.

This was one of those GNR songs that told you not to fuck with Axl. The only thing that bothers me about this song, is Axl said that the other guys told him to add the rant, but when he got shit for it, he said they didn't back him up. That sucks. you have to have each others back, no matter what.

Axl: That was not my idea, you know, that was Tom Zutaut and Duff McKagan's idea. Because there was this blank space in the song, and I was 'We've gotta do something,' and they were like 'Why don't you just go in and go off on Andy Secher and Bob Guccione Jr?' and 'Sure, yeah, yeah' and eventually I did and everybody was happy with it. But when it hit the fan everybody disappeared. And I was naive and didn't realize the political wars going on between the different publicists at the record labels and their relationships with The Rolling Stone and Spin, and whatever, so I was set up but no one stepped forward to say anything [TMS with Eddie Trunk, November 2011]

Rephrased: ''I was set up and forced to write and record lyrics to a song, by the multi-millionaire band I am lead vocalist in by our AaR guy and ghastly Duff'' haha. Axl truly needs medical attention.

• Like 1