At What Point Do You Give Up On This Band?

I officially gave up on Axl as being even somewhat of a creative entity when he fell right on his face during cd's release.

I gave up on seriously hoping for a reunion in 2009, after Axl's interviews. I don't think any of us realized just how much Axl still resented Slash until that point.

But I mean, the band's back catalogue still means a lot to me, and I'm still very much a fan of what they've already done. And hey, there's still an eye lash worth of hope that I could be wrong on either or.

The soap opera drama these guys bring is still hilarious. And, on top of that, I stick around because I've stuck around this long. Like SOA, might as well see how it all ends, even though it's all fallen so far from grace. Only takes up an hour or two of my free time at most. It's not like it's ever been a huge obligation :lol:

Around November 2008

Same here- Brain leaving had taken a bit of the shine off too.

Robin leaving and Ashba joining was the last straw for me, I still can't figure out how Axl let the bar drop so low that a horrendous poser (with so little musical talent or ability) like Ashba qualifies to join his GNR.

I will get excited if a "new" album comes out or if Axl mans up and gets the real band back together.

You know, I joined the forum back in 04, when I was halfway thru high school . This band got me through a lot and the "Nu-GnR" had not been active since 2002 MTV VMA. But during that time . I listened the fuck outta the music and followed the band, When the leaks came in early 06 it was a great time ... And I was at the Hammerstein show where izzy played and saw them later that year at Izod. My point is , even 10 years later ... I still somewhat follow the band and it is frustrating that it's been 6 years since CD and nothing ( other than new live DVD/CD ) has come out. GnR was great in the 80s/90s ...and there was a lot of intrigue back in 2002-2007 when the band was back in full swing . But these latter years , post CD, have honestly killed this band . It's not about Slash or the other original members . It's about rocking and putting new music and new legacies out. Here's hoping they can deliver

Never...just like even the most cynical bashers on this forum with nothing batter to do they rehash the same played out complaints

There are plenty of legit reasons for extreme Guns fan frustration but the undeniable reality is GNR/Axl is most criminally under-recorded artist of our time and anything ...live or new...even at 50% of what was is still better than 99% of alternative

One day you'll log onto RollingStone.com or something and see the headline "Axl Rose Dead At **" and all the fretting over whether you should 'give up' will seem really silly.

I love this incarnation of GnR, even if they never record anything. I still hope they will, but they probably won't so I've given up on worrying about it. I like seeing them live, and talking about their shows (good or bad), so that's better to me than the silence we'll get when Axl quits/dies.

• Like 1

I've given up on ever knowing what this band will do, but I don't think I would ever give up on the music that has already been released. Truth be told, I don't think they're ever going to release anything again. I think Axl's going to keep touring with rotating groups of musicians until he gets bored of it completely or his health no longer allows him to tour, and that will be that. It is what it is, and I hope I'm wrong. With that in mind, anything else that happens will be a nice surprise. If the band's in town and the tickets are within my price range I'll go see them, but I'm not going to go out of my way, travel to see them, etc. at this point.

I always thought that if CD ever came out, it'd be the last album we'd get from GNR. When it was less successful than hoped, I felt sure of it. That said the constant yanking of our chain that new music is right around the corner is still irritating.

I stopped believing it some time ago, and stopped expecting anything much at all a year or so back. The 2-3 new songs shite a while ago that never materialized seemed like decent proof that nothing is ever going to happen. Still, if it does, great. If not, well, no surprise.

Eh, there's enough going on elsewhere for me to keep myself occupied indefinitely, but I like the
music of GnR / Axl enough to at least check up on things every once in a while. Yeah, I'd love to
hear the remaining CD sessions, whatever they are, but I don't really let GnR shenanigans ( or lack
thereof ) bother me.

I think the most you could hope for with GnR at this point is 1 last album, and some people
obviously think even that's crazy. But I believe that the remaining CD sessions material does
exist, enough to create an album, and there's hope enough in that to believe that it will eventually
see the light of day. As prone to patterns and predictability that Axl has become, he's still Axl.

I always thought that if CD ever came out, it'd be the last album we'd get from GNR. When it was less successful than hoped, I felt sure of it.

I also made peace with the fact that Chinese Democracy would likely be Axl's final album a good 10+ years ago. At this point I'd be content with an official release of Going Down.