At What Point Do You Give Up On This Band?

I haven't yet, but I haven't been a fan as long as most of the people here. So, I dunno, after a year or two I'll probably quit believing any new music or things otherwise noteworthy will happen. I'll still care enough to watch recordings of shows and read up on it occasionally though. I think I'll only quit caring about the band as a whole when I become burnt out on their catalog, but that's never happened so far. Not permanently anyways.

There is nothing that supports the fact that there is something worth not giving up on. If you have hope in anything worthwhile coming out in the near future then I feel confident saying you are stupid.

Thanks.

There's no real "giving up". I doubt I'll ever stop liking the songs I do. If new music doesn't come out, I'll still have the songs that exist.

It's just a passive thing for me mostly now, I'm not actively waiting for Round Two like I was 2008-2011.

That said, a potential album full of Ashba-penned songs... :no:

This ^^^^

If this new lineup doesn't record, and I don't think they have or will. I'm tired of Axl Rose's bs and giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'll be happy to hear cd 2, but wont continue supporting them as a touring band.

Too bad Brazil/South America/Vegas will keep supporting Axle Rose, no matter what.

I kind of view GNR the same way I look at my favourite dead artists, Michael Jackson or Nirvana... A legendary act who's music I'll always love, but rarely play as its been whored to death. I don't really view them as a legitimate creative force anymore, therefore its not a case of "giving up" on them, I just love what they did once upon a time and that's it really.

In terms of holding out for a new album, if it comes then great, if not then I'll always love what the band used to be. To be honest, I would rather no new album at all than a new record which was made for any reason other than Axl genuinely feeling creatively compelled to do so.

Edited by Towelie

I never thought I'd see the day where I said I don't care about this band anymore, but that day came after the first time I saw DJ Ashba perform live in person with GNR. I can honestly say I don't care what this band does anymore. I am just happy that Slash is so active.

I wont say givin up, but i wont be going to see them live anytime soon as long as Axl keeps singing and performing the way he has. All i want is for him to sing and perform with some fucking heart again.

And i dont expect new music like i have in the past. Being a fan of his voice and Chinese Democracy id love for the next part to come out, but im not holding my breath.

And ill always have the classic albums to listen to and the bootlegs of the original band to watch and enjoy.

Edited by ChineseIRS

had problems with the CD album, had problems with A$hba, have huge problems with Axl's performance and voice since 2011 and finally gave up when Axl posted his childish HOF last minute letter cause of his bitter Slash paranoia. since then i havent spent a cent to support Axl financially anymore and will continue to do so with everything that has nothing to do with 1985-1996 Guns.

Edited by Lim666

Not really sure what giving up on this band means exactly? Either the album will come out or it won't. I'm not gonna stop listening to GNR if the album doesn't come out. Why should I? I like the music. And if a new album comes out some day I'll buy it and I'll probably enjoy it. It's as simple as that. What is there to give up on?

Depends on what you mean by giving up. Compared to my previous interest I have already given up meaning that I have zero expectations regarding albums, tours or Axl's vocals. I will always be a huge Guns N' Roses fan and I'll follow that Axl does for years to come but my support towards his decisions has really waned in the last few years. I was really excited when the new band came out, I supported it for years and still do, and at that time I really believed all those stories about 70 songs written and 50 recorded and four albums worth of material and so on. I was under the illusion that Axl will resurrect in style with a shitload of new material and a lot to prove. I was naive for believing there is some sort of grand plan in the background just waiting for Axl to unleash his badass rock anthems for the world to see.

I loved the 2002 comeback, I watched the videos, I was excited even though realistically speaking the comeback was a failure in reallity and even more so in the press. Band members started to come and go and it became more and more obvious there might not be a grand plan to reignite the interest in Guns N' Roses. But I kept on believing. 2006/2007 and 2009/2010 were great tours, saw them on both, and with an album under his belt Axl seemed ready to finally fullful some of his ''promises''. From this point on it was nothing but downhill. His voice became extremely weak, his looks and presence baffling. Don't get me wrong, I will always defend the guy and always have but something is amiss. No new material and weaker and weaker performances led me to not attending any of their shows in 2012 which I thought could never happen when I was younger.

Axl is going through the motions, he doesn't even remember his own lyrics, he gave up on his intergity. And he had huge integrity for laying low after the break up and not reuniting for money, I really respect that, but he just blew it all up. I could make peace with lack of material but the cringeworthy vocals, the main reason this man was/is so adored by his fans, are often on the brink of embarassment. I never watch performances of Sweet Child O'Mine. I could live with the constant touring, I don't mind seeing the band active but the moment this became a little too much for me was when Lebeis family took over. I find that really pathetic and cringeworthy, not to mention fans have to sing Beta happy birthday song. It's just insane and it has zero to do with Guns N' Roses.

I've said it before, it was great of Axl that he decided to continue with the name and it was worth risking the legacy if he had done more with the name. What he's done, despite enjoyable at times, is not enough to ruin the GN'R legacy. And he ruined it. Brings me down. Nevertheless, I will always support Axl Rose because he is the greatest rock star that ever lived and I cant get enough of Guns N' Roses!

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 2

For me, nuGuns was a great band. They had a future and an ambitious Axl Rose. Would have loved to see the 2002 line-up with a 2006 Axl Rose and Buckethead playing his TWAT outro live.

This current band is not band, I was never interested in their music or whatever they can do as musicians (other than playing other people's material for money) but I always was an Axl Rose fan so I followed whatever he was doing. 2010 was a great year and I'm glad I had the chance to see him live, front row, kicking ass. I gave up on him after the disastrous performance in Rio 2011 and been waiting to give a shit ever since. Every year has had some highlights but that's not enough.

Maybe things will change next year, maybe not.