AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd charged with attempting to procure a murder in New Zealand

gunsguy

I was thinking about this more, and this might have a silver lining to it for AC/DC fans. Ever since Phil rejoined AC/DC, the only song they did from the era where he wasn't in the band was Thunderstruck. I don't know if Phil had anything to do with those decisions or not. But if he did, that gives the band the freedom to play some of those great songs they haven't played in decades, like Who Made Who, That's the Way I Wanna Rock 'n' Roll, Heatseeker, Fire Your Guns, Money Talks, Sink the Pink, etc. I'd love to hear those live, and didn't think I ever would. I would take any of those over yet another tour with "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be" any day.

• Like 2

I was thinking about this more, and this might have a silver lining to it for AC/DC fans. Ever since Phil rejoined AC/DC, the only song they did from the era where he wasn't in the band was Thunderstruck. I don't know if Phil had anything to do with those decisions or not. But if he did, that gives the band the freedom to play some of those great songs they haven't played in decades, like Who Made Who, That's the Way I Wanna Rock 'n' Roll, Heatseeker, Fire Your Guns, Money Talks, Sink the Pink, etc. I'd love to hear those live, and didn't think I ever would. I would take any of those over yet another tour with "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be" any day.

I can't see any legitimate reason Phil would be the deciding factor in not playing anything from the mid 80's. I mean, it's not like he can't handle the drum parts. I just think it's that the 80's material post FTATR (And even that album has a mixed reception at best) is generally viewed unfavorably by everyone but die-hard AC/DC fans.

I mean really, AC/DC's setlist has remained largely predictable since Brian joined; play all the hits, 3-5 songs off the new album, and almost no deep cuts from prior albums. The only album that sort of breaks that rule is Back In Black, and even then only one "deep cut" from BIB has been played since the early 80's (Two if you consider Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution a deep cut, which I don't since it's been played on every tour except The Razor's Edge and Black Ice). The only tour where they really pulled out any even remote surprises was the 2003 mini tour to celebrate getting inducted into the RNRHOF…and it was a fucking amazing setlist:

Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be

Back In Black

Stiff Upper Lip

Gone Shootin'

Thunderstruck

Rock N' Roll Damnation

What's Next To The Moon

Hard As A Rock

The Jack

If You Want Blood (You've Got It)

Hells Bells

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Shoot To Thrill

TNT

Highway To Hell

Whole Lotta Rosie

You Shook Me All Night Long

This is a list of every single "deep cut" they've played on a tour later than for it's corresponding album (I'm not including song that weren't played once Brian joined, since they had a lot less material to choose from in the early days):

Bad Boy Boogie *

Shot Down In Flames *

Sin City *

Live Wire (Only played one time with Brian)

Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be *

Jailbreak *

Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution *

Problem Child

She's Got Balls

Dog Eat Dog *

Who Made Who (Played frequently on The Razor's Edge tour and a handful of times on the Ballbreaker tour)

That's The Way I Wanna Rock N' Roll

Girl's Got Rhythm

What Do You Do For Money Honey

Rock N' Roll Damnation (Only played a few times in 2003 with Brian)

Get It Hot

Gone Shootin' (Only played two times in 2003 with Brian)

If You Want Blood (You've Got It)

Guns For Hire

Down Payment Blues

Riff Raff (Only played once "live in the studio" with Brian)

Up To My Neck In You

Ride On (Only played on time in 2001)

For a band with such a big back catalog that list is embarrassingly short, especially when you consider a good deal of those have been played with some regularity over the last 30 years.

• 3 weeks later...