MyGNR International Guitarist's Tone Shootout Super Championship Grand Prix Competition of 2014 Discussion Thread

Well let's shit or get off the pot on posting.

Don't take that tone with me. I'm running the show here; one phone call, and you could be disqualified, half way to Siberia in shackles, with a 1,000 year hard labor sentence.

It's OK, I have a plethora of guitars to keep me company.

But they're ... not... Les Pauls... :nervous:

• Like 1

Well let's shit or get off the pot on posting.

Don't take that tone with me. I'm running the show here; one phone call, and you could be disqualified, half way to Siberia in shackles, with a 1,000 year hard labor sentence.

It's OK, I have a plethora of guitars to keep me company.

But they're ... not... Les Pauls... :nervous:

Several of them are. They don't get played as much because other guitars are better.

Ok. Guess I'm pretty much ready to record. I'm home, my gear is, thank god, still working and by monday I'll look out for something to record the track(s) with. Any suggestions? It's my first time recording and uploading stuff to the web.

The best way to record is to hook up an SM57 to an interface, and stick it in front of your amp with no (or very very little) post effects. But that's not an option for everyone. You can also record straight in using some interfaces, and then place distortion on it in a DAW program, but I personally don't think this would get you award winning tone. Not sure if AxlIsOld did this, or if he used the AVT, but he may have some advice on how he did it.

Zoom and Tascam also make some decent all around recorders that can be plugged into a PC via USB, but even their cheapest ones are around $80. There are also USB microphones, but to get a good one you'd probably have to spend the same you would on the Zoom or Tascam....

Anyone have any other suggestions?

@Omar,

Only 1 submission?

Yes, moreso for ease of listening. If you did two things, just bring them onto one track in your DAW and you can do it that way.

Question, might be a stupid one but can any of you guys play Killing Floor, in the Hendrix way? I don't mean note for note obviously, I mean he did it different each time but I mean the basic thing, could you? :)

I'm sure someone could, if no one does, I will since I'm not participating anyway.

@axlisOld,

Sounds great man, really killer.

I recorded mine weeks ago, but just spent the last couple of hours mixing and what not (I hate that part of the process.) I did 2 songs, but apparently only one of them can be entered, damn rules.... But now I gotta do the stinking video thingy, man the OP is really making us work..... :P

@axlisOld,

Sounds great man, really killer.

I recorded mine weeks ago, but just spent the last couple of hours mixing and what not (I hate that part of the process.) I did 2 songs, but apparently only one of them can be entered, damn rules.... But now I gotta do the stinking video thingy, man the OP is really making us work..... :P

Video is not mandatory.... keep the mixing light; if we hear mountains of compression, absurd EQ'ing w/ amplitude boosting, or doubling, judges may DQ. We're judging raw tone here. OP's a dick. :headbang:

No its not that, I don't think I added any after effects. It's that when I mix things on my machine, they always sound great on the machine, but when uploaded on to the computer it will often create a cracking noise in the speakers, which means something is redlining somewhere in the mix. So then I have to go back to thbe drawing board and start all over. It's a pain in the ass really, I guess I was never meant to be a producer, lol.

To get the best sound you want it to be almost redlining, but NEVER hit them. It doesn't sound difficult, but trust me its not a simple task.

A rookie question, Mike: what is redlining?

When recording, their are light bars that go up and down as the music gets louder and quiter. Usually two, one for each side right and left speaker. Typically they are green and yellow, which is good. But if something is to loud, it will turn red, which means it will distort in the speakers. Not the good kind of distortion either, it will make the recording pretty much unlistenable if it happens to much. So when you are recording, its important to not let the amps or drums be so loud that they reach the redlines. Which is pretty easy, you just turn down the faders on the machine. But when you mix them, the signal gets amplified to give it more studio quality, and thats when it gets much more difficult to get good mixes. Because you want everything to be as loud as possible without hiting those redlines. But like I said earlier, it will almost always sound great on the machine, but when the files get transfered over to the computer, thats when you really find out if the mixes are any good. Because you can feel like everything is great, no problems at all, but then when listening to them on the computer you will hear cracking in the speakers. Each cracking sound means something was redlining during mixing. So you have to pretty much start all over again and scrap the mixes you just made. It's a pretty time consuming process.

But even professional producers have released music without really giving the mixes the final test, which IMO is the computer test. If it sounds good at max volume on the computer, you should be good. I remember hearing stories of one of Metallicas newer albums would sound super distorted at high volumes, and thats because they didn't get good mixes. Which is really sad considering its a big time band like Metallica.

These are all great so far! Havent heard from some of the other contestants in like a month though, Omar. Want to send out a few PMs?

I'm going to post soon in the thread, probably will extend the deadline. If people want to participate, they know what to do/where to submit/when to do it. I don't really feel like sending PM's though trying to figure out where everybody is in the process.... we're (mostly) all adults here.