"Live Era" - Why all the re-recording?

Lim666

Why all the re-recording on "Live Era"??

GN'R have been such a great live band 1985-1993 but never managed to release a proper live album officially. "Live Like A Suicide" was studio with overdubbed crowd noise, Tokyo92 was video (and not a good show at all compared to the normal standards like Chicago92 or Argentina92).

yeah, we've had some good tv broadcasts and leaked Pro-Shots....but why didnt they ever release a killer live album?!!??
And how went this all down with Live Era? Del picked from all their DAT recordings etc., just to let Axl and Slash seperately re-record a lot of stuff? Who and how was communicating and who decided the last re-recorded/mixed versions to be on the fake "Live" Era album??

I don't really know. I do know that there was a time that Axl wanted to make a deal with the record co so that fans could order a copy of the gig that they just saw. I do know that Slash and Axl were not getting along at the time when they were putting together the record. Also I don't think Axl was in favor of putting out a live record at that time but they owed the record co something.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really know. I do know that there was a time that Axl wanted to make a deal with the record co so that fans could order a copy of the gig that they just saw. I do know that Slash and Axl were not getting along at the time when they were putting together the record. Also I don't think Axl was in favor of putting out a live record at that time but they owed the record co something.

you mean the shows of the UYI era??

I remember many years I read a Slash interview when he recognized that the live album could have been better, he kind of regretted that Gnr had not released a live package CD & DVD as the one of Led zeppelin in 2003 (with few partial of full shows)... would have been more interesting

I always hoped they would have released a live gig from the Appetite era along with an Illusion era gig, instead of mixing them together.

I'm sure there's a reason why, but imo, Del dropped the ball in his choosing of the songs.

wow, Metallica do this 10-15 years later....

Imagine now if this happened and we got pretty much EVERY show from the UYI tour in pro shot somehow...

:axl92:

Pearl Jam released concert bootlegs from each show on one of their tours awhile back. I think they were one of the first to do so.

But yea, good on Axl for thinking outside the box. He does seem to be a step ahead in certain aspects.