Robert Plant nixes £500,000,000 Led Zeppelin reunion offer

bacardimayne

On the other hand, though, if the money really doesn't mean much to him, he could reunite and ask Sir Richard Branson to give his portion to charity. That kind of cash can and would make a difference. And to do this would, in my opinion, still keep the integrity of Led Zeppelin in tact, if not increase it.

He even did the ice bucket challenge (he never challenged Jimmy).

Oh, on second thoughts!!

This is not integrity. He has turned down the money for himself, the 3 other band memebers, the crew and everyone else involved.

Its 500 million and he's the only one to ruin it for everyone.

He is also letting down at least 2 generations of fans that have never seen the band perform.

On the other hand, though, if the money really doesn't mean much to him, he could reunite and ask Sir Richard Branson to give his portion to charity. That kind of cash can and would make a difference. And to do this would, in my opinion, still keep the integrity of Led Zeppelin in tact, if not increase it.

Robert's participated in a lot of charities and the Led Zeppelin reunion was a charity gig. He even did the ice bucket challenge (he never challenged Jimmy). Jimmy has his Casa Jimmy charity which he already raises money for.

Bet they havn't raised £190 million though

He's not letting anyone down at all. That's ridiculous. Why is he not allowed to just not want to do it?

Sure, let's have him accept an absolute absurd amount of money, half-ass it up on stage, and make the band look way beyond their years. Much better option instead of focusing on what he wants to do. Much better.

• Like 1

This is not integrity. He has turned down the money for himself, the 3 other band memebers, the crew and everyone else involved.

Its 500 million and he's the only one to ruin it for everyone.

He is also letting down at least 2 generations of fans that have never seen the band perform.

Absolute garbage - I have never disagreed with something so preposterous in my life. Firstly, Plant is not commanded to do what the fans desire. If he did not exist, Zeppelin would not exist (at least in any recognisable form) and we would not even be having this debate in the first place. He, freely, of his own will, created you (the fan), not the other way around. He is not even under any sort of obligation to Page or Jones. He is a free individual. Secondly, who cares about 500 million when you are already more than financially secure and happy. 100 mill, 200 mill, 500 mill, these are just abstract figures at his age - probably money he would never even be able to spend (I know he is a down to earth individual); it is actually charmingly refreshing to see an old fart rocker, basically, act unlike Mick Jagger. Lastly, Zeppelin were around for ten years (with three one-off reunion codas chucked on the end). They had a good innings by any one's estimation. Guns - proper Guns - were over in half that time. Sex Pistols, even less. It is not Plant's fault you never saw them live. By the same quirk of fortune, I never saw Beethoven conduct or Elvis play live. 'Time Fades Away' to quote Neil.

See Plant live. The guy is probably just as excited about what he is doing now as, what he was in 1973 with Zep. And, whose to say it is not as good?

• Like 2

First of all, this didn't even happen. Second of all, his heart isn't in it. Third of all, Led Zeppelin ceased to exist in 1980 and has only existed a select few times since.

The O2 was a good way to go out on.

You want Zeppelin live? Good news, Plant still tours regularly and sounds really good. Want to see Page? If you are lucky you can see him at a book signing or special event. Jones gets out there too if you really wanted. Its just how it is.

Edited by ZoSoRose

A billion to see a bunch of old geezers.

I agree here too. I think Plant knows he just can't sing anymore. Listen to the O2 show and how many layers upon layers upon layers of effects they put on his voice. He has some moments of the past (Kashmir) but for the most part he just doesn't have it and probably doesn't want to try and fail.

Dear Dexter, please read this post very carefully. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

ABBA declined a billion dollar offer to reunite about 15 years ago but they said they were expected to do 250 shows, they made hundreds of millions off the "Mamma Mia" musical for people to enjoy the music.

I think Celebration Day was a great way for Led Zeppelin to call it a day, once and for all. I agree they should have done some MSG shows at the time like Cream had done, only because they put so much work into the rehearsals, but he saw it as sidelining him from what he wanted to be doing. He's probably sick of hearing Stairway to Heaven more than people who are sick of hearing Stairway on the radio. Other than possibly putting out full length shows from the mid-late 70s (which Jimmy has no plans of doing), this round of re-releases is going to be it for them. I'd actually like to see him take part in a Yardbirds reunion with Beck and Clapton when Eric does his UK shows, and have a bunch of guest singers taking part in it. Jimmy got together with Donovan so I don't see why he wouldn't do that for a one-off show.