The USA vs. The U.K. - American Cheeseburger & Fries vs. Fish & Chips

Ace Nova

American Cheeseburger & Fries vs. Fish & Chips - Which Do You Prefer  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They do a lot of strange stuff, Yanks. This is what an American carries his groceries around in:

Stampd-Bodega-Bag-583x483.jpg

only in convenience stores if you are getting a beer or a bottle of soda or something like that will you get a paper bag even then it is rare to get paper bags. if you go to a supermarket it is plastic bags or you bring your own bag.

Edited by bran

They do a lot of strange stuff, Yanks. This is what an American carries his groceries around in:

Stampd-Bodega-Bag-583x483.jpg

only in convenience stores if you are getting a beer or a bottle of soda or something like that will you get a paper bag even then it is rare to get paper bags. if you go to a supermarket it is plastic bags or you bring your own bag.

Exactly. And the reasons most convenience stores do it is so that their "clientele" can sip out of the bottle, while they're walking home...or to wherever they're headed...without anyone knowing what is in the bag.

• Like 1

Why do Americans build their homes out of wood? This is a continent with the craziest weather in the world, suffering hurricanes, tsunamis, levees breaking, snowstorms, etc - as well as seismic activity - yet you build your homes out of these white wooden planks that are easily destroyed.

Why do Americans build their homes out of wood? This is a continent with the craziest weather in the world, suffering hurricanes, tsunamis, levees breaking, snowstorms, etc - as well as seismic activity - yet you build your homes out of these white wooden planks that are easily destroyed.

Believe it or not, I've always thought the same thing. Years ago, it was purely out of economical reasons. It was less expensive to build a house from lumber than concrete block.

During the last 20 or so years though, architecture/technology has advanced to the point that wood/lumber framed houses are as durable (some even more wind resistant, etc) than concrete block houses. So that's that.

Believe it or not, I've always thought the same thing. Years ago, it was purely out of economical reasons. It was less expensive to build a house from lumber than concrete block.

During the last 20 or so years though, architecture/technology has advanced to the point that wood/lumber framed houses are as durable (some even more wind resistant, etc) than concrete block houses. So that's that.

But when you survey the disaster areas, all you see are broken white planks scattered everywhere!

But when you survey the disaster areas, all you see are broken white planks scattered everywhere!

That could very well be the case. Like I said, it's the construction that has been up to "code" for the past 20 years or so. Prior to that, I would not know. I live in Florida...one of the most stringent states for this sort of stuff. Most of our houses are built of concrete block but there are more and more being built of "wind resistant" wood frame.

Most of the "disasters" you see on TV are from modular homes and from homes that were built 20+ years ago.

• Like 1

That could very well be the case. Like I said, it's the construction that has been up to "code" for the past 20 years or so. Prior to that, I would not know. I live in Florida...one of the most stringent states for this sort of stuff. Most of our houses are built of concrete block but there are more and more being built of "wind resistant" wood frame.

Most of the "disasters" you see on TV are from modular homes and from homes that were built 20+ years ago.

i lived in florida for about 8 years and i lived in a block house as well. being from new england you see a lot of wooden pre revolutionary war wood houses still standing and in great shape, they survived harsh new england winters for 200 years. as for florida every new style house i seen built near the ocean were concrete or in the few cases wood they sat on concrete pillars.

• Like 1

What I allude to is that area in, I think it is the mid west, where twisters are a regular feature. You literally see all of these wooden towns flattened into smithereens by these maelstroms. Clue: build your fackin houses out of bricks and mortar and you would not have this problem.

What I allude to is that area in, I think it is the mid west, where twisters are a regular feature. You literally see all of these wooden towns flattened into smithereens by these maelstroms. Clue: build your fackin houses out of bricks and mortar and you would not have this problem.

I think most of what you "see" is older stuff. Even in the Midwest, those people aren't idiots.....this isn't "Dorthy and the Wizard of Oz" anymore....they understand what it takes to build a house resistant to wind. And for the people that are not up to code, they have their safety measures put into place.

My parents were well off..........but more importantly (or sadly) they were drinkers and big socializers. So to make up for all the time I spent home alone while they were off doing adult things they compensated by bribing me with money. Often they'd be at the "club" drinking so mom would give me $20 to get dinner at the grocery store and take a cab home. I'd pocket the $20, hitch hike home, and cook a frozen pizza out of the freezer. Do that a couple times a week, plus normal lunch money, plus allowance......that's $80-100 a week! Not bad for a 12-year-old.

Natural born entrepreneur!

I also made money doing writing assignments for people in a creative writing class in high school. You earned your grade by turning in your writing - could be poems, stories, short stories, essays, etc - and the teacher gave you points for each piece. That's all the class was. So I did all the assignments for 4-5 different people. For one guy I just turned in poems for him, which were all just song lyrics. I Need Love by LL Cool J got him bonus points.

• Like 2