The USA vs. The U.K. - American Cheeseburger & Fries vs. Fish & Chips

Ace Nova

American Cheeseburger & Fries vs. Fish & Chips - Which Do You Prefer  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What the flap is a kabob?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab

Unless your point was her spelling - "kabob" is a common spelling for it in North America.

I love fish & chips (And British food in general for that matter), but burgers win if only for the variety you can get them in. Fish & chips is always the same - some might be better than others, but there is very little variety in the dish from restaurant to restaurant. Burgers on the other hand...no two burgers are the same.

This is true but what the British do is, departing from the 'salt and pepper' norm, order a carton of curry sauce and throw that on. Or you could order gravy and put that on the chips. Or you can vary the side order. Mushy peas is the most traditional but in a bistro like pub they might serve salad. Or you could vary the fish. You basically have cod, or haddock (which is part of the cod family anyhow).

And regarding this meat business, all your meat is saturated in slime anyhow, greasy buckets of slime!! Britain is blessed with some of the finest meat in the world, from Cumberland sausages to Aberdeen Angus steak. You do not get meat that good outside Kobe or perhaps the Argentinean pampas. Americans do not know the meaning of good food.

Tell that to Texans. Sorry,but you do not fuck with Americans when it comes to meat, That's what we do.Aside from deep frying.
Dies' you like raw fish so that kinda disqualifies you from having an opinion here.

I would take sushi or sashimi before either of these two meals, any day of the week.

What kind of fish do all these different places use for their fish/chips?

Here we use halibut so fish-and-chips are awesome. But if the fish is some cheap pos, then I'd much rather have a big old cheeseburger and fries.

I believe traditionally it's cod.

Here we use halibut so fish-and-chips are awesome. But if the fish is some cheap pos, then I'd much rather have a big old cheeseburger and fries.

I've had cod and halibut. I might prefer the cod.

I've had cod and halibut. I might prefer the cod.

Cod is usually a little greasier. But it really depends on the "type" of cod you are getting. Some species of cod is way better than others. While fishing there is some cod that you keep and some types you just throw back.

Typically, in my area, halibut and chips will cost about 50% more than cod and chips. Or if you get it baked or grilled halibut will cost about double what cod will.

Cod/Haddock in Britain. Some have tried to introduce others such as pollock - because fish resources are down due to over fishing - but to no avail because the British are quite conservative here: it must be either cod or haddock.

I honestly do not understand the fascination, shared by Americans and Brits, with red meat (especially beef). It is full of saturated fats and the average western diet contains far too much of it. The Chinese and Japanese eat it in much smaller quantities as part of a platter - which may also include, a fish dish and a chicken dish. But in the west they eat gargantuan slabs of the stuff, and the way some of you go on, it is almost a patriotic duty to consume massive amounts of steaks.

I probably eat beef about, once a month.

Cod/Haddock in Britain. Some have tried to introduce others such as pollock - because fish resources are down due to over fishing - but to no avail because the British are quite conservative here: it must be either cod or haddock.

I honestly do not understand the fascination, shared by Americans and Brits, with red meat (especially beef). It is full of saturated fats and the average western diet contains far too much of it. The Chinese and Japanese eat it in much smaller quantities as part of a platter - which may also include, a fish dish and a chicken dish. But in the west they eat gargantuan slabs of the stuff, and the way some of you go on, it is almost a patriotic duty to consume massive amounts of steaks.

I probably eat beef about, once a month.

50068247.jpg

Unless your point was her spelling - "kabob" is a common spelling for it in North America.

I love fish & chips (And British food in general for that matter), but burgers win if only for the variety you can get them in. Fish & chips is always the same - some might be better than others, but there is very little variety in the dish from restaurant to restaurant. Burgers on the other hand...no two burgers are the same.

This is true but what the British do is, departing from the 'salt and pepper' norm, order a carton of curry sauce and throw that on. Or you could order gravy and put that on the chips. Or you can vary the side order. Mushy peas is the most traditional but in a bistro like pub they might serve salad. Or you could vary the fish. You basically have cod, or haddock (which is part of the cod family anyhow).

And regarding this meat business, all your meat is saturated in slime anyhow, greasy buckets of slime!! Britain is blessed with some of the finest meat in the world, from Cumberland sausages to Aberdeen Angus steak. You do not get meat that good outside Kobe or perhaps the Argentinean pampas. Americans do not know the meaning of good food.

Tell that to Texans. Sorry,but you do not fuck with Americans when it comes to meat, That's what we do.Aside from deep frying.
Dies' you like raw fish so that kinda disqualifies you from having an opinion here.

I would take sushi or sashimi before either of these two meals, any day of the week.

Never been to a place where you can get curry on your fish & chips - that sounds fucking amazing. I'll definitely have to find somewhere to try that next time I'm in the UK!

Never been to a place where you can get curry on your fish & chips - that sounds fucking amazing. I'll definitely have to find somewhere to try that next time I'm in the UK!

Like this?

10534316.jpg

Curry Sauce + Chips is a dish served at some Chinese places, in England.

When you are at, any, Fish and Chip shop, simply ask for a carton of curry sauce alongside it.

Like this?

10534316.jpg

Curry Sauce + Chips is a dish served at some Chinese places, in England.

You simply know you are going to get the best and most authentic Chinese, the best and most authentic Fish and chips and the best and most authentic Vietnamese there, don't you? Croydon looks a stunning place by the way; beautiful architecture.

• Like 1

I like Croydon because....

Of the food.

Curry sauce is great from Wing Yip because it's a cash & carry for all the take outs in town, so I just go to Wing Yip, buy the home version of what they sell in bulk/same stuff, different quantity, and get my home made chicken fried rice and Chinese chicken curry on.

11538_wing-yip.gif

My local Wing Yip, across town.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Of the food.

Curry sauce is great from Wing Yip because it's a cash & carry for all the take outs in town, so I just go to Wing Yip, buy the home version of what they sell in bulk/same stuff, different quantity, and get my home made chicken fried rice and Chinese chicken curry on.

11538_wing-yip.gif

You like Croydon because you can go to a supermarket and buy mass produced crap that's also available everywhere else?

Of the food.

11538_wing-yip.gif

You like Croydon because you can go to a supermarket and buy mass produced crap that's also available everywhere else?

There's like 5 Wing Yips in the country and this one is the oldest/first Wing Yip, also, Croydon rocks because I had the BEST SHITIEST job in the UK, I think.

It was warehouse work, I was a picker, would get lists of items and a trolly and get to go picking from 6am - Noon or something. At the Ann Summers warehouse @ the Ann Summers HQ Way cross town but still in Croydon. - That job was jokes, was like a toy shop for adults.

This one time on a random road trip I was on, my brother was driving, was with our mates, decided to go where the road took us, to quote a hippie girl that night, went so far! - We saw another Wing Yip... Turns out we were in Cricklewood, and the petrol station attendant couldn't give me directions for Croydon or Brixton or Peckham, which alarmed me because I doubt the guy had even heard of Peckham... I had to ask where we was. - So I just quickly figured (this was like 2004/2005) ask for directions back to Central London and go from there.

It was basically me, my brother, these two girls from the pub and my stoner buddy.

Edited by Snake-Pit