Jimi: All Is By My Side (2013)

Snake-Pit

The other week, I saw a theater/cinema in Soho on Shaftsbury Ave opposite China Town playing this

JimiHendrix_moviebanner.cbe7b68a17e3e8cd

This caught my eye but had no idea what it was; Just thought 'Cool! - Jimi Hendrix documentary!'

ad the I haven't see that poster at that theater/cinema since, just some next movie.

Then last Friday/Saturday I got told that André 3000 was playing Jimi Hendrix in a movie about him.

Jimi+All+Is+By+My+Side+Movie.JPG

ALL-IS-BY-MY-SIDE-clip.jpg

jimi_all_is_by_my_side_press-620x330.jpg

Anyone seen it?

Anyone heard of it?

What are your thoughts?

Jimi Hendrix movie.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Love that video, if only for showing the London scene up (as much as i love em) for being the snobby snotty fuckin' tarts that they were, the long and short of it is Hendrix gets off the plane, 8 quid to his name, plays 500 million times better than anyone else in the country and although they try to fuckin' mask it now they loved his music but hated the fact that he existed cuz he showed em for the uptight studious little Englanders than they were...and this guy was from outer space.

Some things are too good to touch, just leave it, he came, he did his bit, he left what he left and thats that, he don't need no poxy film for the 'young generation' to get into him, if their ears don't manage it just listening to the albums then fuck em, they don't deserve it.

Andre 3000? Really?!? Bollocks.

• Like 3

I would rather die a thousand times over being boiled in a pot by natives and then eaten whilst still 30% alive than watch this cack. I ain't watching some fatty ponce about trying to be Jimi Hendrix, i find it patronising, if i want Jimi Hendrix i have this:

I get the sentiment, and technically you're right. But...no. You're right. I'm not watching that shit.

Some things are too good to touch, just leave it, he came, he did his bit, he left what he left and thats that, he don't need no poxy film for the 'young generation' to get into him, if their ears don't manage it just listening to the albums then fuck em, they don't deserve it.

Andre 3000? Really?!? Bollocks.

I've been attempting to say pretty much this over and over without success (abandoning the post)- as usual you sum it up so well man.

I'll watch the movie when it comes out on DVD. I'm going to look at it more like Sid and Nancy and The Doors...loosely based on a true story. The last biopic about him was kind of boring.

As far as I can tell, the estate has no interest in biopics because a lot of versions of the truth exist about someone that hasn't been around for close to 50 years, and even people who knew him have tried to either tear him down or get people to buy into the mythology. A lot of people "knew" him but intimately? Very very few, and a lot of them are gone as well.

I think they should just do a movie based around the songs. Making a movie with 6 "Bob Dylans" was probably better than trying to make a Bob Dylan biopic.

Edited by dalsh327

Maybe it's just a story about the man for entertainment purposes based on events but not to be taken factually, but more as a shout out, to Jimi Hendrix?

i dont care if it's meant to be taken factually, metaphorically, whatever, i think the ide is ridiculous and redundant and there are some things in this life that are so boldly original that they do not benefit from such posterity, in fact alls it does it muddy the waters.

Hollywood loves people like Morrison and Hendrix because, despite book after book after book after book written about them the truth is that very little is actually really know for sure about em, and Hollywood loves that cuz it means they can just close their eyes during the story writing process, it's just depressing.

There is too much of Hendrix out there for me to take a depicition of Hendrix seriously and there is too little out there for anyone to really do a decent representation.

You wanna put something out about Hendrix, you wanna do the man a service? 1) STOP TAMPERING WITH HIS FUCKIN' MUSIC! and 2) Release a documentary, a labour of love, collecting every scrap of footage of the man out there, interview every last damn motherfucker out there that ever met the man, gather the interviews, the places he stayed, his influence, make it three and a half hours long, with extended bits about his music, the equipment he used, who his influences were, try and gather information about forgotten nights he had onstage that were amazing, investigate his life on the Chitlin Circuit, i could go on and on and on and on, that is what someone with honourable intent not:

'Oh, y'know what? Lets make a fill-um, we'll put a rapper and a bit of crumpet in it, get they old heartstrings going with some early bit to do with race in and nick the rest off of Wikipedia, it'll be great!' Fuck off. If you got love for something then you'd wanna offer something, not a fuckin' panto with fat arse out of Outkast in it.

I think they should just do a movie based around the songs. Making a movie with 6 "Bob Dylans" was probably better than trying to make a Bob Dylan biopic.

I actually quite liked that film but only because it was made clear that the film was less about Dylan and more about the film.

• Like 1

Heard iffy reviews about it. Apparently it shows Hendrix beating up one of his girlfriends, a scene since denied by the real life girlfriend. Also it does not have the copy rights to Jimi's music so it is filled with renditions of the covers he played at the time. A Jimi Hendrix film without a Jimi Hendrix song!!

There are not many musical biopics that are good. I thought the Johnny Cash one was alright. I have not seen the Ray Charles one yet. The Doors was fiction and somewhat slanderous but it did have good performances in it and they at least had the official music. Then you go back a bit and you have The Glen Miller Story with Jimmy Stewart. There is also that crappy Elvis film with Kurt Douglas. A few Beatles ones also including one about a young Lennon.

The worst travesty is Amadeus, a beautifully shot and well acted film certainly, but pure fiction.

It is quite controversial and libelous really when you think of it because you are taking people who actually lived; being that cinema is very populistic, there are always going to be people who walk away thinking, ''that was the true story''. Salieri will always be known as ''the man who poisoned Mozart'' thanks to Amadeus; forget the fact that he taught Beethoven and Schubert; forget the fact he was a fine composer in his own right; forget the fact that he actually helped further Mozart's career in certain aspects and had a friendly relationship with Mozart - albeit they were rivals for commissions; Salieri will always be ''the man who poisoned Mozart''. Yet this was a real historical person who left an impressive body of work! There is a great disservice at work here.

Rant over.

Also Walk the Line and Ray are the same exact film.

They so are. :lol:

1. Start out country.

2. Cheat on your hot wife.

3. Sell out.

4. Drug problem

5. Drug problem

6. Still drug problem

7. Career over, clean and sober, everyone loves you now.

The Hank Williams biopic is in the works, but he never makes it to the clean and sober part, and I don't think he sold out. Leadbelly would be a good one to make a movie about.

Also Walk the Line and Ray are the same exact film.

They so are. :lol:

1. Start out country.

2. Cheat on your hot wife.

3. Sell out.

4. Drug problem

5. Drug problem

6. Still drug problem

7. Career over, clean and sober, everyone loves you now.

The Hank Williams biopic is in the works, but he never makes it to the clean and sober part, and I don't think he sold out. Leadbelly would be a good one to make a movie about.

There already is a Leadbelly movie fella, it's called, predictably enough, Leadbelly :lol: Some black bloke plays him. Made in 1976 I think.

EDIT: 'some black bloke plays him?'. I think we've found the winner for stupidest post! :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074781/

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1